Advice on selling whole, electronic converted set?

PaulD

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't posted here in quite awhile and the reason is I haven't been able to play in at least 6 months. If you search my posting history, one big thread was on drumming giving me a, literal, headache. I've tried a bunch of solutions, including a lot of time off and it hasn't gotten better. So at this point, I'm seriously considering selling my set. This includes all the stuff (sensors, mesh heads, drum module) for electronic conversion.

My simple question is this. Is it worth putting it back to acoustic for sale and sell the electronic stuff separately or as a unit? I suspect it's better to separate all of it.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I would sell everything separately. You can mention/link the other stuff you have for sale and offer a discount for shipping if everything is purchased together.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff online other than drums and it’s always easier to sell stuff when pieced out. I can’t even remember the last time somebody actually bought a package deal from me.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold an A-to-E conversion kit a while back. I sold all the electronics (module, e-cymbals, etc.) separately. I had significantly modified the kit (an old beat up swingstar) so could not return it to acoustic use. But if you can, that’s what I would try to do. Not a lot of folks want to buy an entire A-to-E kit with all components. And the vdrum forum is a good place to sell that sort of stuff.

Last edited:

PaulD

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The whole thing is bumming me out a fair bit but I just don't see it getting better. The kit is a Tama Starclassic B/B in new condition and nothing was modified for the conversion (except cutting a circle out of the bottom heads) so undoing it is easy.

I'm consoling myself by buying a motorcycle.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The whole thing is bumming me out a fair bit but I just don't see it getting better. The kit is a Tama Starclassic B/B in new condition and nothing was modified for the conversion (except cutting a circle out of the bottom heads) so undoing it is easy.

I'm consoling myself by buying a motorcycle.
If it’s a birch bubinga Tama kit, I can’t see it sitting very long as an acoustic. Especially if in such nice condition. How big of a kit?

I would definitely un convert it lol.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't posted here in quite awhile and the reason is I haven't been able to play in at least 6 months. If you search my posting history, one big thread was on drumming giving me a, literal, headache. I've tried a bunch of solutions, including a lot of time off and it hasn't gotten better. So at this point, I'm seriously considering selling my set. This includes all the stuff (sensors, mesh heads, drum module) for electronic conversion.

My simple question is this. Is it worth putting it back to acoustic for sale and sell the electronic stuff separately or as a unit? I suspect it's better to separate all of it.
Sorry to hear that you're going through that. I can't imagine not being able to play because of headaches. I'll tell you what though, assuming that the headaches are from the sound and not from the physical playing, I'd try replacing all the heads with low volume heads like the Remo's. Also the option exists of the Aquarians or R-toms that sit on top of your normal heads. And then I'd go for either low volume cymbals or cymbal mutes. I'd rather do that than give up drumming completely! That's just me though! I don't know if you have already explored that route but it's just an idea.
LRod

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it’s a birch bubinga Tama kit, I can’t see it sitting very long as an acoustic. Especially if in such nice condition. How big of a kit?

I would definitely un convert it lol.
I thought the same when I was selling mine. Had an 8-10-12-14-16 / 22 in Natural Tiger Wood that I took an absolute bath on. Bought it, decided it wasn't for me, tried to immediately resell it. Sat for almost 6 months before it finally sold.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're in a unique time when a "Family and Apartment-Friendly Acoustic Drum Set You Can Play Quietly (with Headphones) with Electronic Add-Ons" would have significant appeal to the right buyer.

PaulD

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're going through that. I can't imagine not being able to play because of headaches. I'll tell you what though, assuming that the headaches are from the sound and not from the physical playing, I'd try replacing all the heads with low volume heads like the Remo's. Also the option exists of the Aquarians or R-toms that sit on top of your normal heads. And then I'd go for either low volume cymbals or cymbal mutes. I'd rather do that than give up drumming completely! That's just me though! I don't know if you have already explored that route but it's just an idea.
LRod
I've tried pretty much everything, including r-toms (have a set of those to sell) and it's the reason it's been converted. I even tried multiple layered noise cancellation (Airpod Pros and Sony NC headphones on top). So, it has to be the motion somehow. In fact, I used to do regular firearm competitions without this problem.

I've tried every possible sound mitigation strategy out there so it has to somehow be the motion. I'm quite active otherwise so I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe I'll give it one more go for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Maybe something in my head will have reset itself by now.

FWIW, the set is a 5 piece shellpack (22" bass, 10, 12, 14, 16 toms) in onyx pearl. I got it from DCP when they were closing out the BB kits just after the BW ones were announced. If Reverb prices are a reasonably indication, hopefully I won't take too much of a hit.

I should also say that I posted about this before and this forum was really helpful. It's definitely one of the best ones I've seen on the web.

Last edited: