header.nohb.html

Advice on value for Vintage Ludwig kit plus cymbals

Reaction score
Greetings, I wanted to ask advice on value for my beloved 1969 Ludwig Hollywood kit in Sparkling pink champagne with a 1976 Ludwig Supraphonic snare.

The entire kit is in amazing shape and sounds beautiful.
No chips, scuffs or marks anywhere.
I could take more pic's if need be.
Kick 22inch serial number 750973
Floor tom 16 inch serial number 750961
rack tom 12 inch 750989
1976 supra phonic 14x5 inch serial number 1087779
Kick pedal DW 9000
Original Ludwig hit hat stand
Three Ludwig cymbal stands
Cybals--Zildjian A's
16 inch 1977 zildjian
17 inch early 1970’s
20 inch ride late 1960’s
14 inch top hat mid/late 1960’s
Bottom hat 1977
IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0878.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 12, 16, 22 $750-1000, assuming there are no extra holes on the bass. Seems there should be a 13" tom as well.
Snare about $300
Cymbals $100 each, 100-125 for the hats.
$35-50 each for the stands and pedals. The dw 9000 pedal $225

Reaction score
The 12, 16, 22 $750-1000, assuming there are no extra holes on the bass. Seems there should be a 13" tom as well.
Snare about $300
I appreciate your thoughts but that sounds very low to me. There are no extra holes on any drum.
It’s going to be hard to find someone who wants the cymbals with the kit because everyone wants to chose their cymbals.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I appreciate your thoughts but that sounds very low to me. There are no extra holes on any drum.
It’s going to be hard to find someone who wants the cymbals with the kit because everyone wants to chose their cymbals.
What amount are you thinking?

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with Rich; you have a 9x13 missing and it's pretty obvious. That takes it out of collector status. Find a period correct 13, then you can ask $1.5K or a bit more. But expect a wait to get it.

Reaction score
I bought the kit with this configuration
I’ve seen a handful of Ludwig’s exactly like mine 20,16 and 12 go for $1800.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your value is high. Snare is right depending on pitting if any. Zildjian Cymbals of the 60's and 70's are hit and miss. Maybe 1500 for all, up to 2K, but you apparently have other priorities.
Good luck either way.......

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
You'll get more breaking off the cymbals and/or supra. Bigger and complete kits almost always bring considerably less than they "should."
If that DW pedal is worth $225 then replace it with a used Speed King or some other $50 pedal....otherwise you'll get $50-$75 tops for it as part of the kit.

Cymbals $350-$400. Hardware $300. If the snare is really clean then up to $350....maybe even a tad more. Condition can swing the kit 10-20% easy. Most buyers don't understand the extra
value in a sweet condition kit. If you have lighter cymbals that bring premiums, get their weights. At least you're in a high population area like NY City.

Even though everything adds up to well above $1500.....most full kit buyers prefer to be in that $1200-$1500 range. It takes something special or super sweet to get them to spring for $1800-$2000+.

Last edited:

rikkrebs

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snare about $300
THIS^^^^^^^

I think these prices are right in line with the current selling market.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

I pretty much agree with what Rich is saying. Are any of the drums date stamped with 1969 inside? I have seen a lot of drums in the 7xxxxx range that were made in 1970. If you are using that same serial dating guide from Ludwig that has been floating around for years, it's pretty far off and a lot more information on serial numbers has come to light thanks to Rick Geir and his books on the matter. The other odd thing, which unfortunately is factory is where the seam on the bass drum is. That's a really odd place for Ludwig to put that as it shows right in the middle of the drum. Typically that seem should be lower on the drum and under the lugs. It would be my guess that someone at Ludwig goofed that up and they just rolled with it as they never seemed to waste anything. It is a cool set though and I love champagne sparkle. I would actually gig the heck out of these if they were mine.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with what Rich is saying. Are any of the drums date stamped with 1969 inside? I have seen a lot of drums in the 7xxxxx range that were made in 1970. If you are using that same serial dating guide from Ludwig that has been floating around for years, it's pretty far off and a lot more information on serial numbers has come to light thanks to Rick Geir and his books on the matter. The other odd thing, which unfortunately is factory is where the seam on the bass drum is. That's a really odd place for Ludwig to put that as it shows right in the middle of the drum. Typically that seem should be lower on the drum and under the lugs. It would be my guess that someone at Ludwig goofed that up and they just rolled with it as they never seemed to waste anything. It is a cool set though and I love champagne sparkle. I would actually gig the heck out of these if they were mine.
That is an odd place for the seam. Possibly a rewrap? Would have to see the interiors and grommets.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
That is an odd place for the seam. Possibly a rewrap? Would have to see the interiors and grommets.
I thought Ludwig placed the seam on the bottom of the bass drum and typically under one set of lugs for extra hold on all drums?
I'd check but my only Ludwig kit is a (known but well done) rewrap and all my Luddy snares are metal.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where are you getting it that he is telling you to sell the drums and cymbals together?

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
A couple of things on the bass drum jump out at me that concerning the originality and condition of your kit.

The claws are not Ludwig but rather aftermarket (the same is true for the key rods on the batter side), but the thing that gets most of my attention is the line across the wrap on the side - is that a crack or is that seam lift (or perhaps something else)? If the former, than that would be a rather serious issue to a potential buyer; if the latter, then that's a whole other megillah, as the wrap seam on a bass drum was typically on the bottom (two seams that roughly correspond with the bottom lugs). If the wrap seam is in the "wrong" place, then that could mean that it was converted from perhaps a marching drum. Regardless, if this is indeed the seam, it is the first time I've ever seen one in that location.

As for the 1969 build date, the B&O badge first appeared in 1970, though it is possible that they ran out of keystone badges before the end of 1969 and started using the B&O badges. I am not sure when the arc spurs began, so it is possible that they were on 1969 drums (sixties drums had folding spurs; the Sonor feet are a nice touch!). The same could be said as to whether the interior of the bass drum is clear (1970's) or painted (mid-to-late 1960's).

In sum, though prices for vintage Ludwig drums tend to run high (IMHO overpriced, considering how ubiquitous they are), with these issues, this is not an $1,800 kit: more like <$1,000.

1660323612495.png

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich K with the win on realistic pricing. Indeed splitting kit/snare/cymbals not only quicker sales, but money also. 20 missing t's/claws is almost $200 in orig value, and ya, seems possible rewrap with that Gastly bass drum wrap seam.

jmetatual

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are any of the drums date stamped with 1969 inside? I have seen a lot of drums in the 7xxxxx range that were made in 1970. If you are using that same serial dating guide from Ludwig that has been floating around for years, it's pretty far off and a lot more information on serial numbers has come to light thanks to Rick Geir and his books on the matter.
Agreed. B/O with serial 750xxx is likely ~'70. Snare with serial 108xxxx is likely ~'73 (not '76 per 1st post).