Advice or Opinions Needed

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am finalizing a drum deal to buy an original complete early Ludwig Hollywood drum set (22-12-12-16) in Green Sparkle with the matching Jazz Fest snare.

These are the pluses...
Complete, Original, Untampered, pre serial number badge matching set. Clear mahogany interior bass, white painted interiors on the toms & snare all 1963 stamped, red felt BB mufflers, everything is in great shape, no extra holes. No fade on the snare, or the 2 12" toms.

These are the minuses...
The floor tom has a faded streak / band about 1" wide and 1/4 way around the drum at the badge height & it has a couple cut / stratches in the finish. The major negative is that the bass drum is quite faded so that it does not match the color of the rest of the drums.

I love the color of these drums, it is just too bad about the bass. I also love the fact that this is a complete original untampered pre serial number set that is in very good condition (I love those red baseball bat mufflers). The only issue is that when the drums are set up the difference in the fade on the bass is apparent.
So my question is what do you think this set is worth?

Or just what are your opinions about this drum set.

Thanks Mike

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, the real winner is the snare. It's a damn shame about the BD and FT fade. Value's tough to determine with the fade. I would hazard a guesstimation of $1,500.

I had a super clean, all stock, zero fade Green Sparkle pre-serial# badged 9x13 at the Chicago Show. I pretty much gave it away @ $145!

onemat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These days, if the price is under a grand I'd jump on them. You could always recover the bass drum, but the cool thing about those drums is the sound. I had a set of '61 Silver Sparkles faded to Ginger Ale but they sounded GREAT. The unpainted bass drum was normal for that period. Was Ludwig saving paint or what? I wonder why they did that. The Jazz Fests keep on going up up up; and Green ones don't grow on trees. Just my thoughts.
Matt

Isn't the color on the top see-thru layer for most sparkle (glitter) wraps? If that's the case, couldn't you get a thin sheet of clear plastic, and tint it the appropriate color to apply OVER the faded original wrap? This might work for a bleached-out wrap like that green bass drum. Maybe a big sheet of a lighting gel sandwiched between the old wrap and a clear sheet would work? If heads don't fit, simply trim it off short of the rims/hoops. There is usually little fade under the rims/hoops anyway. It probably would not work for a wrap that has darkened or changed from red to orange or silver to ginger ale, etc.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
What a lovely kit, er set. Sometimes coloured or tinted car wax might bring the fade closer to the others. Nice'n shiny too. Why would sell these beauties anyway?

gsw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's INCREDIBLE how so many older Green Sparkle finish drums have such severe fade.
It's almost 9 out of 10 drums you see... that bad.
Your 12,14,20,5x14 Gretsch set isn't just a tough find... it's a MIRACLE to have survived.

Greg

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
mike
mixed emotions on that set. i love seeing those old hollywoods all intact and especially with the appropriate matching jazzzfest. i think the jazzfest itself in that color would fetch somewhere in the 750 range. i think youd do fine on the complete package with anything under 1500 dollars.

the wrap on the bass would bother me some but not to the point of not owning it. i actually love the faded version more.

that configuration was only offered from around 60-65 with the dual 12s. and the woodblock setup between the clip mounts went away before the end of 65. they actually work pretty well as far as holding eveything in place.

mike

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
gsw said:
It's INCREDIBLE how so many older Green Sparkle finish drums have such severe fade.
It's almost 9 out of 10 drums you see... that bad.
Your 12,14,20,5x14 Gretsch set isn't just a tough find... it's a MIRACLE to have survived.
Greg

Here's another one that made it through Greg... 8)

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input, it is very helpful. In weighing out the pros and the cons it is really good to get a 3rd person point of view on the subject. I am really enamured with the Green Sparkle color and the fact that this is a nice complete and original set from the early 60's.

But I often get caught up in the middle of a deal and it starts taking on its own life and it has its own momentum. Gary, I appreciate your comment especially because that was what I was initially told about the set, but I kept looking at the color of the snare and the toms and those red mufflers and that clear interior on the bass and I start to make excuses. I just can't get around that bass drum. I am sure that if I were a player, this would be a great sounding kit and it would look cool on stage too. But alas I am not Howie. Matt, I would do exactly as you said if the price were under $1,000 - but unfortunately it is not.

Greg, that Gretsch set is an exception and that is what I keep referring back to when I think of green sparkle. I really did get a rare bird on that set and a pretty good price. So when I think of that set it helps me put this set's price in perspective.

I am not a drum restorer in the sense of buying a kit to finish it or make it a "better" match - but that is what this is. I think Bijan is right that the snare is the real winner here and that is what I am going to buy if the owner decides to let it go separately.

I want to offer a big thanks to all of you because this has really helped me out in making a final decision. I agree BennyK - Those drums are beauties! as are Frank's - as usual. Green Sparkle just looks so cool.

Thanks for offering your opinions and advice, I will follow up if all goes well.
:)

Mike

Latest posts