Advise on cutting down a Yamaha cymbal arm-rod

cmrocco

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on how to cut down a yamaha cymbal rod. I have a medium length rod, and I want to cut it down to a small length (see pic 1). The top has a hole in it with some kind or compression pin in the hole. Is removing the top as simple as removing the pin and then pulling off the top? Or do they use some kind of glue? Is it threaded on there. Anyone that has done a teardown with some advise would be much appreciated. Now, the reason that I don't just want to cut it down from the other end is that I want to keep the finished beveled end on it. In other words, I want to do the modification so that no one would ever notice. Thanks!

cymbalRod.png
cymbalpin.png

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is the finished beveled edge the actual arm or is it a plug? Can you pop it out, cut that side, then pop it back in?

I'd be wary of cutting down a factory pinned end. You may end up with a loose cymbal tilter. I've done something similar before on a snare stand and it was a mistake to alter the pinned side. It didn't fit back in and was always loose (there was play although it was still fixed). I've cut the backs off more than a few times, though, with no issues. Just get a rat tale file and clean it up and no issues.

Maybe you can find a plastic chrome end cap plug for the end so it looks pro even though not beveled.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can remove the tilter by driving the pin out. However, the tilter is glued on and the rod is knurled as well so it can be hard to remove without damaging it. If you shorten that end, you will also have to drill a new hole for the pin. And getting the hole in the rod to line up with the existing holes in the tilter is almost impossible in my experience. I've shortened a few of the Yamaha arms in the past and I have always removed the tilter and then cut off the bottom of the rod and re-beveled the edge on a lathe to match the old bevel. Of course, that requires a lathe.

cmrocco

Reaction score
How does one get the pin out? Just knock it out with a hammer and small nail sinker?

I think I could drill the hole by using the

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Knock the roll pin out with a blunt round punch with a diameter slightly smaller than the roll pin. Easy.

But redrilling the hole thru the boom arm is not. You might end up with a wobbly tilter.

I've done the shortening on Yamaha booms several times, but I always cut the boom arm and then re-profile the cut with a grinder and file.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score