AEROSMITH: "Rocks" (Deep Cuts) Friday Five Fer

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Love this album. Supposedly Nobody's Fault is Joey Kramer's favorite track. Love the drum part on it.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of great cuts, little filler... I'd say it's my favorite Aerosmith record.
Very rich/creative period for these guys.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
As a big Aerosmith fan, this one is classic, much of it was recorded in a place called the wherehouse in the town next to where I grew up, Waltham MA, cruised many a summer night in my teens down Moody st. My brother had the night shift pumping gas for a summer job, and who showed
up after a recording session but None other than Steven Tyler....fill er up please.

Many good memories of summer parties and this album....Ah to be a teenager again. Check the link for more info about this legendary place.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
As others have said, I agree, Joey Kramer is an excellent drummer and a key reason to the sound of Aerosmith.
Ringo to the Beatles, K Moon to The Who, J Bonham to Zeppelin Bun Carlos to Cheap Trick and Joey K. to Aerosmith...a select group
of drummers who make a BIG difference in the sound of their band.

wackjob

Reaction score
I was 15 when love in an elevator hit the charts. I absolutely loved it but had never heard of aerosmith before. Bought pump then permanent vacation and a vhs pump video. Amazing stuff to a 15 year old. My sister then bought me songs in the attic a video diary. It was all old concert footage from the 70's and i loved it. Man that video cost me a lot of money - i bought the whole back catalogue.

It was my introduction to 70's rock and led zep, sabbath etc soon followed. I would die if i met Joey Kramer.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Arguably the greatest USA rock band ever

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was 15 when love in an elevator hit the charts. I absolutely loved it but had never heard of aerosmith before. Bought pump then permanent vacation and a vhs pump video. Amazing stuff to a 15 year old. My sister then bought me songs in the attic a video diary. It was all old concert footage from the 70's and i loved it. Man that video cost me a lot of money - i bought the whole back catalogue.

It was my introduction to 70's rock and led zep, sabbath etc soon followed. I would die if i met Joey Kramer.
I got Pump on cassette through selling fruit baskets for marching band (along with Foreigner's Juke Box Hero, and Dire Straits Brother's In Arms). I was hooked. Went out and bought Permanent Vacation, and then the Greatest Hits albums, Toys In the Attic, etc. My parents bought me the box set for Christmas.....just love all of it. Still in my top five favorite bands.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I got Pump on cassette through selling fruit baskets for marching band (along with Foreigner's Juke Box Hero, and Dire Straits Brother's In Arms). I was hooked. Went out and bought Permanent Vacation, and then the Greatest Hits albums, Toys In the Attic, etc. My parents bought me the box set for Christmas.....just love all of it. Still in my top five favorite bands.
My 1st show was at Boston College 1973. $3.00 ....They used to play high schools and played at the one next to where I grew up, Wayland Ma.
also played at a club called Katys' in Boston. I have seen them over 60+ time including at 2 clubs, Mr. Cs rock palace June 1980
and a club called Boston/Boston Dec 1980.....that one was broadcasted all over the country....yep thems the good old days.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 1st show was at Boston College 1973. $3.00 ....They used to play high schools and played at the one next to where I grew up, Wayland Ma.
also played at a club called Katys' in Boston. I have seen them over 60+ time including at 2 clubs, Mr. Cs rock palace June 1980
and a club called Boston/Boston Dec 1980.....that one was broadcasted all over the country....yep thems the good old days.
My Mom talks about the time she went and saw Cheap Trick at Wheeling High School for a dance. Wish the music scene was still like that.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rocks was the first Aerosmith album I owned. All of their albums are great, though. They were headed to a dark place after it, though. I was given this album as a birthday present by my then jr. high girlfriend (I was in 9th grade jr high too!). She had moved to the area and I had transferred to the school so we were both new at the school and met in the school band. She was ahead of me in some things, and I appreciate all the experience I had with the young lady. One thing she handed off to me was an appreciation of Aerosmith (she spoke fondly of her experience at her previous residence in Michigan of losing her virginity to her then-boyfriend after he took her to an Aerosmith concert).

Not sure if Rocks is really as good as Toys In The Attic, but it has some ground-breaking stuff on it. One of the first things I noticed was the heavy doubling of the Bass guitar (and 6-string bass) line on Back In The Saddle. Another notable item is the hihat work on Nobody's Fault. Any who, I have listened to this great album more than any other Aerosmith album, but definitely have listened to all their previous and the next one (Draw The Line). It could be argued that Rocks was a high-point for Aerosmith's collective musical-technical brilliance.

Latest posts