Aerosmith Sets the Record Straight Update -- Joey Kramer Played Last Night (2/10)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Turns out that gossip site TMZ.com only provided a very one-sided view of Joey Kramer's attempt to rejoin the band for the Grammys after an extended absence.

Never mind that lots of forumites went crazy with the TMZ report, investing it with a raft of speculation and kooky conspiracy theories.

It even appears that Kramer is not on a Permanent Vacation!

For the rest of the story, we turned to a statement the band released to the paragon of even-handed journalism, People Magazine:

"Joey Kramer is our brother; his wellbeing is of paramount importance to us. However he has not been emotionally and physically able to perform with the band, by his own admission, for the last 6 months. We have missed him and have encouraged him to rejoin us to play many times but apparently he has not felt ready to do so.

Joey has now waited until the last moment to accept our invitation, when we unfortunately have no time for necessary rehearsals during Grammys week. We would be doing a disservice to him, to ourselves and to our fans to have him play without adequate time to prepare and rehearse. Compounding this, he chose to file a lawsuit on the Friday night of the holiday weekend preceding the Grammys with total disregard for what is our limited window to prepare to perform these important events. Given his decisions he is unfortunately unable to perform but of course we have invited him to be with us for both the Grammys and our MusiCares honor. We are bonded together by much more than our time on stage."

Read More: Aerosmith Respond to Drummer Joey Kramer Lawsuit + Statement | https://loudwire.com/aerosmith-joey-kramer-lawsuit-statement/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have a serious question, I promise I am not being snarky. After playing together for over 40 years, how much rehearsal time does the band really need?

I don't think that is being snarky at all. It's a valid question and I can't imagine much rehearsal should be needed at all as long as everything is the same. The band I have been with the last 7 years has been pretty inactive over the last few months as we have had to endure the loss of a founding member. He was unable to do any of our summer shows with us as he was battling cancer. We were able to do the shows without him but it left us little time to rehearse as we are all spread out and we couldn't make it happen as often as we would have liked. That being said I have done over 300 shows with these guys and it was pretty easy to slip right back into the swing of things. We haven't played a gig since October and we have some coming up so I know it will be fine.

I just can't imagine the many more years and shows Joey has on me with the same band. I did read Joey's book and I really felt for him. His father was a total a-hole and treated him so bad it almost made me want to cry reading his story. Nobody should be treated the way he was as a kid and it clearly has left long lasting effects on his well being. I hope he is OK and is able to return to the band soon. Aerosmith can't be Aerosmith without him in my opinion.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To make an official statement (that’s not a rumor I guess) that he is physically and emotionally unable to perform is a pretty strong blow.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
But Jay, he admitted as much in the TMZ article, so there's really no threat of libel.

Rehearsal time? Unless he or any other band members have REALLY been struggling lately, I can;t imagine they need all that much after 40 years together.

Bottom line: both sides have an axe to grind, and there's a lot of money at stake. You won't get the 100% truth from either of them. There will always be a degree of spin.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think that is being snarky at all. It's a valid question and I can't imagine much rehearsal should be needed at all as long as everything is the same. The band I have been with the last 7 years has been pretty inactive over the last few months as we have had to endure the loss of a founding member. He was unable to do any of our summer shows with us as he was battling cancer. We were able to do the shows without him but it left us little time to rehearse as we are all spread out and we couldn't make it happen as often as we would have liked. That being said I have done over 300 shows with these guys and it was pretty easy to slip right back into the swing of things. We haven't played a gig since October and we have some coming up so I know it will be fine.

I just can't imagine the many more years and shows Joey has on me with the same band. I did read Joey's book and I really felt for him. His father was a total a-hole and treated him so bad it almost made me want to cry reading his story. Nobody should be treated the way he was as a kid and it clearly has left long lasting effects on his well being. I hope he is OK and is able to return to the band soon. Aerosmith can't be Aerosmith without him in my opinion.
I get your point, but I think rehearsing for these tv shows is a bit more complex than getting back together and play some of the old songs, not at least technically on location.
There's some more elements in a tv production and a major artist music production, I would think...

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I get your point, but I think rehearsing for these tv shows is a bit more complex than getting back together and play some of the old songs, not at least technically on location.
There's some more elements in a tv production and a major artist music production, I would think...
That's what I'm kind of wondering. If there is different stuff going on because it's TV. Trust me I don't think this is the kind of thing that a band wings even after 50 years together. It just seems like it should be not too hard. Without really knowing what's going on it's just too hard to speculate. I just really hope it all works out for the best.

mesazoo

Reaction score
Seems like it could have ben handled nicer. Kind of like Yes with Alan White or Pink Floyd when Mason returned.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's what I'm kind of wondering. If there is different stuff going on because it's TV. Trust me I don't think this is the kind of thing that a band wings even after 50 years together. It just seems like it should be not too hard. Without really knowing what's going on it's just too hard to speculate. I just really hope it all works out for the best.
Being on TV, and being Aerosmith, I would expect them to play a medley of two or more songs. That would require some rehearsal, and especially if there is any coordination with a stage show. The band's statement would make a lot of sense if that's the case.

cplueard

Reaction score
I know it's kinda been touched but practicing for a strictly timed (and likely click operated) TV performance is not the same as jamming tunes for a live show. He doesn't have to rehearse the songs, he needs to rehearse the show.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
If Joey had some injuries, rehearsal might equal stamina in this case. Just a thought.
It's one thing to remember how a song goes but you have to physically be able to play it and
with a band like Aerosmith, you can't really mail that in.....

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like it or not, TMZ is a legit news source. It's run by a lawyer(Harvey Levin) and like all other tabloid organizations, they have a staff of legal counsel.

That being said, that lawyer-authored press release doesn't really shed any more light on the story. There's tons more we are not privy to. Does anyone really believe that Joey couldn't play two friggin songs with the band that he's played with them a zillion times?

Dan

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Like it or not, TMZ is a legit news source. It's run by a lawyer(Harvey Levin) and like all other tabloid organizations, they have a staff of legal counsel.

That being said, that lawyer-authored press release doesn't really shed any more light on the story. There's tons more we are not privy to. Does anyone really believe that Joey couldn't play two friggin songs with the band that he's played with them a zillion times?

Dan
Here's today's TMZ headlines. Are these the types of stories someone looking for "legit news" would seek out?

The Richest Real Housewives Star May Surprise You

Guess Who This Blonde Boy Turned Into!

Farrah Abraham: Don't Sex Shame Me

Chris Martin Unloads on Autograph Seekers

Vanessa Hudgens Grabs Dinner with Lakers Star

Henry Winkler: I'm Not Beefiing with Tom Hanks... We're Actually Pals

Tragic News About Tina Turner

Geesh. Legit news source! It's almost funny how off the mark that is. Legit!

prplx

Reaction score
I have a serious question, I promise I am not being snarky. After playing together for over 40 years, how much rehearsal time does the band really need?
"he has not been emotionally and physically able to perform with the band, by his own admission, for the last 6 months."
I think the rehearsal was a lot more about the band wanting to see if Joey was ready to play up to their standards than because the band to need time to brush up on Dream On...

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's today's TMZ headlines. Are these the types of stories someone looking for "legit news" would seek out?

The Richest Real Housewives Star May Surprise You

Guess Who This Blonde Boy Turned Into!

Farrah Abraham: Don't Sex Shame Me

Chris Martin Unloads on Autograph Seekers

Vanessa Hudgens Grabs Dinner with Lakers Star

Henry Winkler: I'm Not Beefiing with Tom Hanks... We're Actually Pals

Tragic News About Tina Turner

Geesh. Legit news source! It's almost funny how off the mark that is. Legit!
It's not "real news", but as far as celebrity gossip goes, and reporting about Joey Kramer's beef with Aerosmith is 100% celebrity gossip, they are pretty much the best in the game.

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
A friend sent this article. Here is one of the quotes. "Kramer says he grudgingly reauditioned with a “click track” in early January and was told his skills lacked “energy,” so he wouldn’t be allowed back on stage for the Grammy performance with guest musicians including Run-DMC. "

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It's not "real news", but as far as celebrity gossip goes, and reporting about Joey Kramer's beef with Aerosmith is 100% celebrity gossip, they are pretty much the best in the game.
You're right! We're like a bunch of middle school girls obsessed with Joey and Stevie and chattering about who might have ratted out the Drumeo guy at NAMM.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess from reading the report, the band took a vote and it was 4 to 0 and they say they vote on a lot of things, I think thats saying something.
I really dont think they are asking Joey to step down for now because they want someone else. BUT age and time take their toll.
He maybe just at point where he cant physically play the way he used to......so much so that the band is clearly hearing it.

I mean this is Aerosmith music and playing just one gig would be a workout, well I hope it is temporary, but from reading what has been posted.
Doesnt sound too promising...again...UGH.

Latest posts