Aerosmith Sets the Record Straight Update -- Joey Kramer Played Last Night (2/10)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Didn't Joey break his ankle? If so, which one? The same thing happened to me but thankfully it was my hihat foot, other kick foot and I rehearsed with a full cast on for much of the recuperation. It is possible. Maybe he's doing what he's being told to do by a doctor. This is what I've personally heard so far. Who are they going to bring in to do it??
Their tech John Douglass is doing it as far as I know.

Reaction score
"He says the “freeze-out” crossed a line when it extended to Sunday night’s Grammy show, where Aerosmith is set to perform a “career-spanning medley" after receiving the 2020 MusiCares Person of the Year award, the breach of contract complaint states."

So after reading one of the articles you guys posted I can see where an adequate rehearsal is needed if in fact they are playing a medley of songs. In my top 40 country band we put a medley of old time country songs together once to close out our summer shows. It was about 15 minutes long with all kinds of tempo changes and such. I actually was given the songs and pieced them together and we learned from that. It was a lot of work and it was really fun but I can totally see why a rehearsal is needed for this.

I actually feel for John Douglas. I'm sure he is a fan at heart and it must be tough to take the chair away from your boss like that. I don't personally know John but I follow him on social media and he seems like a great guy all around and his talents with art and creativity are nothing short of amazing. I would think this situation has to be tough on anyone. Pretty sad to see actually.
You "feel" for John Douglas?
Jeez Kurt, I think he's a turd,
That clown would probably come over and mow your lawn if you gave him enough money...

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like it or not, TMZ is a legit news source. It's run by a lawyer(Harvey Levin) and like all other tabloid organizations, they have a staff of legal counsel.

That being said, that lawyer-authored press release doesn't really shed any more light on the story. There's tons more we are not privy to. Does anyone really believe that Joey couldn't play two friggin songs with the band that he's played with them a zillion times?

Dan
You "feel" for John Douglas?
Jeez Kurt, I think he's a turd,
That clown would probably come over and mow your lawn if you gave him enough money...
Was he supposed to turn it down ???

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
IMO He was hired as a drum tech. What drummer would hire him after poaching his boss's gig?

I suppose the good person in me would like to think that he was just stepping in until Joey was OK to come back. The world does work differently though I can see your point. The whole thing just sucks IMO.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I suppose the good person in me would like to think that he was just stepping in until Joey was OK to come back. The world does work differently though I can see your point. The whole thing just sucks IMO.
He has subbed for Joey in the past, presumably with his boss' blessing. I doubt he sees this much differently. I think he's a little bit more than a drum tech.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO He was hired as a drum tech. What drummer would hire him after poaching his boss's gig?

This is kinda odd, with all the amazing drummers out there as "hired guns" why choose the drum tech? There's a million guys that could fill in, play to a click and need minimal rehearsal to do the gig. Seems like it could affect John's future tech gigs, especially in this case, where Joey being forced out and isn't giving his blessing...

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
He has subbed for Joey in the past, presumably with his boss' blessing. I doubt he sees this much differently. I think he's a little bit more than a drum tech.
I guess he is and it's always good for the tech to know the show in case of an emergency. When I meant that I feel bad for him I was just mostly thinking about how it would be tough to go from filling in on the gig until Joey gets better to knowing that he has been not welcome to return. I just think more things need to be clarified as seeing that report on TMZ of guards not allowing him in the building is so sad. Without any explanation either it looks very disrespectful to Joey.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jeff Seitz, Stewart Copeland's long time drum tech, played an entire Police show in the 80s when SC came down with food poisoning, so it's not unheard of.

I just watched the video of the security guys keeping Joey him out of the rehearsal place. Sad.

Dan

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
This is kinda odd, with all the amazing drummers out there as "hired guns" why choose the drum tech? There's a million guys that could fill in, play to a click and need minimal rehearsal to do the gig. Seems like it could affect John's future tech gigs, especially in this case, where Joey being forced out and isn't giving his blessing...
Why choose the drum tech? He's a known quantity. You don't want to bring in a stranger who could turn out to be a weirdo.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Think about it for a minute. You have a guy that's a drummer himself, who watches the show every night, knows all the songs, cues, changes, segues, etc, is known and presumably liked by the band and crew, and will work for a lot less than a "hired gun" who they'd have to rehearse with.

Don't get me wrong - the whole thing sucks if indeed they're forcing Joey out. Will it effect John's future employment? I seriously doubt it. If anything, it will raise his stock. I hope they work this mess out, but if it's really about money and band ownership (which I'm not sure it is) then greed usually wins. I'm hoping for the best for Joey, whatever the outcome is.

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why choose the drum tech? He's a known quantity. You don't want to bring in a stranger who could turn out to be a weirdo.
I would think if they called in Josh Feese for example, they would have very little in the way of interaction with him, except for rehearsals. Plus, the reason someone like Josh is THE GUY to call is exactly because they know their role and job and wouldn't be a weirdo.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

And the big surprise of 2019 (so far) was finding myself playing drums for Aerosmith. It first happened at the end of April during the band’s first leg of the Vegas residency. Joey took a bad fall and jacked up his shoulder the night before show number eight. I got the call at 2:30 pm on show day asking me (or maybe telling me) to play the show that night. I had about six hours to listen to the songs and learn them. So at 8:30 that night the curtain went up and there I was sitting at the kit about to play songs I had never played before, with no rehearsal (not even a soundcheck) with one of the biggest rock bands in the world. No pressure! I played that show and the next show and then we had six weeks off before the next Vegas leg giving Joey plenty of time to heal.
Fast forward to mid August when we were about to start the Aerosmith East Coast run of “mini-residencies” when Joey hurt his right foot (again, Murphy’s Law at work). I ended up playing all nine shows on this leg of the tour, again with no prep time. Before this year it had been a long time since I played a full throttle two-hour rock show with any band, let alone a band of this magnitude. Those first few shows were physically and mentally draining. I’m not bragging or complaining, but it was a miracle I could pull it off at all.
Why would they call anyone else after pulling this off? He's not just jumping in to steal Joey's job at the last minute, he's BEEN doing Joey's job because he couldn't.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine was a roadie for an amphitheater level band and the drummer has to leave mid tour for a family emergency and the band asked my friend to sub. They then said certain songs sounded better with him than did in 20 years. Afterwards though the band was loyal to their drummer and everything continued as it was.

Latest posts