Aerosmith Sets the Record Straight Update -- Joey Kramer Played Last Night (2/10)

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's today's TMZ headlines. Are these the types of stories someone looking for "legit news" would seek out?

The Richest Real Housewives Star May Surprise You

Guess Who This Blonde Boy Turned Into!

Farrah Abraham: Don't Sex Shame Me

Chris Martin Unloads on Autograph Seekers

Vanessa Hudgens Grabs Dinner with Lakers Star

Henry Winkler: I'm Not Beefiing with Tom Hanks... We're Actually Pals

Tragic News About Tina Turner

Geesh. Legit news source! It's almost funny how off the mark that is. Legit!
Those all sound like titles of your threads! :icon_lol:

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would think if they called in Josh Feese for example, they would have very little in the way of interaction with him, except for rehearsals. Plus, the reason someone like Josh is THE GUY to call is exactly because they know their role and job and wouldn't be a weirdo.
Josh is a weirdo, a loveable one at that but he’s also expensive and doesn’t seem like the average “gun for hire” who would do that type of gig. Aerosmith will get what they paid for.

They’re pulling a Kiss and hiring a tech to do the fill in.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's one thing for the tech to fill in for an emergency or during an injury. A person with any integrity though would have told the band that they will fill in during Joey's injury but will not take the job away from his boss. At this point he has crossed the line from helping out to being a scab in my book. Obviously we don't know all of the details but it sure seems like it to me.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Joey hurts his ankle, is made to audition and deemed not worthy enough. Did Def Leppard make Rick Allen audition after losing a friggin' arm?
Great point. Some bands are made up of people who are loyal to each other and others are made of people just in it for themselves. I remember a couple of years ago Bon Jovi cancelled or rescheduled a few shows because Tico came down with the flu or something. They could have easily gotten a sub but didn't because Tico is the drummer for Bon Jovi and that was that.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great point. Some bands are made up of people who are loyal to each other and others are made of people just in it for themselves. I remember a couple of years ago Bon Jovi cancelled or rescheduled a few shows because Tico came down with the flu or something. They could have easily gotten a sub but didn't because Tico is the drummer for Bon Jovi and that was that.
Rich Scanella filled in for some gigs.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Boy, after reading other things and then Joey was denied entrance to the show practice ( if that was real) it looked real.
It just doesnt make much sense, this seems to be creating serious bad PR for the band Aerosmith.

1) if Joey truly cant play as of now to a level that is needed...clearly he should hear it, and if it were me I would gladly step down...for now
and see if I could get back on track. Because if one player is really not up to par...its a train wreck.

2) whats with the lawsuit, didnt figure that to go anywhere, I cant imagine any judge wanting to get into the middle of this not without alot more info etc.

3) Are the other members of the band ganging up on him....and why ?.......I guess we might not ever know.

Just seems very strange.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Think about it for a minute. You have a guy that's a drummer himself, who watches the show every night, knows all the songs, cues, changes, segues, etc, is known and presumably liked by the band and crew, and will work for a lot less than a "hired gun" who they'd have to rehearse with.

Don't get me wrong - the whole thing sucks if indeed they're forcing Joey out. Will it effect John's future employment? I seriously doubt it. If anything, it will raise his stock. I hope they work this mess out, but if it's really about money and band ownership (which I'm not sure it is) then greed usually wins. I'm hoping for the best for Joey, whatever the outcome is.
There is something to your line of thinking. When I was drum teching for Zoro on the Lenny Kravitz world tour, I knew every break, every guitar solo note etc. in my mind and don’t profess to be any qualified guitar player. I was so tuned into every nuance of every song because I synced in loops, percussion backing, etc. as well as teching. The big aspect is trust As well, which can happen as you spend every waking moment with the band.

I don’t personally know this tech, but if you can play (you typically do some form of pre sound check on a regular basis) and the band is close with you, it seems very feasible to get the chance imo.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Josh is a weirdo, a loveable one at that but he’s also expensive and doesn’t seem like the average “gun for hire” who would do that type of gig. Aerosmith will get what they paid for.

They’re pulling a Kiss and hiring a tech to do the fill in.
I am getting the impression that you believe being a tech automatically makes you a weaker drummer. I know John Tempesta was a tech first.

I also have a good friend who was a tech in an amphitheater level classic band and not only do I think he’s a better drummer than the guy he works for, the band even told him a few particular songs haven’t sounded as good in the last 15 years as they did during the few shows when he subbed for the drummer he techs for.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am getting the impression that you believe being a tech automatically makes you a weaker drummer. I know John Tempesta was a tech first.
No, I’m very far from that belief. You have to understand the mechanics of drumming far more than anything to be a good tech. I also remember John from the Kik Tracee days.

My biggest beef is with how this was handled by the Aerosmith camp. John is a pawn in this. He got paid well but hell, that wasn’t his throne. It’s sickening.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
IMHO, it’s just wrong to deny him access. The whole thing seems to me was done just wrong.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a serious question, I promise I am not being snarky. After playing together for over 40 years, how much rehearsal time does the band really need?
I had a profane post earlier which was rightly removed.. However my take on this is, the answer is almost ZERO rehearsal time. There, I said it.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He should probably consider that severance pay, because Joey, if he rightly returns will shitcan him.
None of us know whether or not he has talked about it with Joey. He's been subbing in his absence for a while now, just playing until Joey recovers. There is absolutely no (at least public) indication that Joey won't return and that he won't continue to have a good relationship with his tech/sub. Aerosmith actually seems to be treating this as a temporary situation.

gmiller598

Reaction score

Why would they call anyone else after pulling this off? He's not just jumping in to steal Joey's job at the last minute, he's BEEN doing Joey's job because he couldn't.
So he gets the gig to sub an entire concert on songs he admittedly had never played before with 6 hours notice yet Joey Kramer isn't allowed to get his job back for a televised show on songs he's been playing for over 40 years.
Hmm.

Latest posts