Aerosmith Sets the Record Straight Update -- Joey Kramer Played Last Night (2/10)

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So he gets the gig to sub an entire concert on songs he admittedly had never played before with 6 hours notice yet Joey Kramer isn't allowed to get his job back for a televised show on songs he's been playing for over 40 years.
Hmm.
Yeah. It's almost like there are things going on that we don't know about. Crazy, right?

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm listening to Neil's last travel book, Far and Wide and he mentioned Joe Perry and Aerosmith. Besides the fact that they never gave Rush a sound check, Perry was quoted as saying "I don't recall ever working with Rush".

They had opened for Aerosmith 40 times and never got a sound check. The Joe Perry Project had opened for Rush 10 years later.

Either he couldn't remember due to all of the drugs and alcohol he had consumed over the years or he was just a tool. My commentary, not Neil's.

Probably a little of both.

He also stated "every day Steven Tyler held the stage and everyone else captive as it were until the doors were open. He grumbled about Joey Kramer's tempo and made him start his song again and again or had the sound man fiddle endlessly with the digital delay on his own voice."

Sheds a little light on the band dynamics and makes Joey's current predicament seem unsurprising.

Last edited:

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
...He also stated "every day Steven Tyler held the stage and everyone else captive as it were until the doors were open. He grumbled about Joey Kramer's tempo and made him start his song again and again or had the sound man fiddle endlessly with the digital delay on his own voice."

Sheds a little light on the band dynamics and makes Joey's current predicament seem unsurprising.
Sopports Bun E’s comments about his experience With Tyler in the original thread on this topic.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two different looks:

1. When you have millions of dollars on the line with an aging band in which backing tracks are used, the concern for him to do it night after night can be a concern and I see why they made him record playing to a click to see if he was up for the task. The concern for performance has much more than most of us.

2. On the other hand, how much practice does the man need to play more or less the same songs for the last 25-40 years?
On 1., I agree. With everything involved, it comes down to having a known quantity they can count on to get through the gig. The window of time for Joey to get involved has elapsed and they just don't want to deal with it.

On 2, I also agree. Many of these songs are ingrained in my DNA. I haven't picked up a pair of sticks in a month and I can play Sweet Emotion and Train Kept a Rolllin. They are more Stones than they are Rush or Yes. Since they regrouped in the late 80s, they are much tighter than they were in the 70s-early 80s. As a matter of fact, Joey was the one saving grace when I saw them in 83.

Reaction score
I can understand both points of view. Considering the shape other memebers of the band have been in the past ( countless rehab stints ) for starters I think perhaps a little more understanding for Joey may have been in order.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
9:40 est AERSmith in the House!!

Drummers playing like he "owns" it.
His hair looks like younger Joey version of Joey
run DMC and it's 1982 all over again.

The only musical cue was S Tyler saying " let's get out of here".
And the drummer..caught it..

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drummer: Can you get makeup to make me look like Joey in case there's an uproar?

gmiller598

Reaction score
Just saw video of the performance.

1. Do you expect me to believe Joey Kramer was incapable of playing the Walk This Way beat for 5 minutes?

2. The replacement drummer got slightly more airtime that Brad Whitford and Tom Hamilton.

3. While I'm at it, did they replace Brad Whitford with a homeless guy on rhythm guitar? He looks way different than I remember him.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

there were more cues than one. like when run dmc came busting thru the blocks..
so there were cues maybe band didn't (feel comfortable) wanna chance with Joey-1a.
(does seem kinda silly just typing that) (lol)

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So did most who were not happy about Joey being replaced and/or how the situation went down actually tune in and watch?

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't care either way about the beef, but I was unfortunate enough to catch the performance last night. I think Joey was lucky not to be part of the mess Aerosmith dropped on live TV last night.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
So did most who were not happy about Joey being replaced and/or how the situation went down actually tune in and watch?
I watched it and wasn't happy about Joey being replaced. I'm sure there are MANY details regarding this incident that both camps aren't revealing. Maybe more info will come to light later.

That being said, The performance confirmed my criticism of their poor decision to leave Joey Kramer out. The drummer they used was OK, but he's no Joey Kramer. He may have had some nerves. The drums were very vanilla and nothing special. I feel that this guy--well-meaning as he was, and caught up in a tenuous situation--was not up to Joey's level at all.

It wasn't abhorrent, though.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I watched it and wasn't happy about Joey being replaced. I'm sure there are MANY details regarding this incident that both camps aren't revealing. Maybe more info will come to light later.

That being said, The performance confirmed my criticism of their poor decision to leave Joey Kramer out. The drummer they used was OK, but he's no Joey Kramer. He may have had some nerves. The drums were very vanilla and nothing special. I feel that this guy--well-meaning as he was, and caught up in a tenuous situation--was not up to Joey's level at all.

It wasn't abhorrent, though.
Good summary. He played the parts ok and was also very vanilla, but I think that’s what they wanted. There are guys who can play to a click and not have it feel stiff and he’s not one of them. Not a criticism, just an observation.

But was it just me, or were Brad and Tom invisible? I’m going to watch it again later, but as usual it was the Steven and Joe show and and Steven sounded pretty much as I expected.

Last edited:

drumfx

Reaction score
Here's today's TMZ headlines. Are these the types of stories someone looking for "legit news" would seek out?

The Richest Real Housewives Star May Surprise You

Guess Who This Blonde Boy Turned Into!

Farrah Abraham: Don't Sex Shame Me

Chris Martin Unloads on Autograph Seekers

Vanessa Hudgens Grabs Dinner with Lakers Star

Henry Winkler: I'm Not Beefiing with Tom Hanks... We're Actually Pals

Tragic News About Tina Turner

Geesh. Legit news source! It's almost funny how off the mark that is. Legit!
That's it...I am phoning Steven and we are going to find out..

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how many people are pearl-clutching over... Aerosmith.

Tyler and Perry sounded like complete garbage last night. Yeah, it's too bad the guys with the power to determine the band's lineup should replace themselves, but what would have been magical about another 70 year old who's past his prime being up there?

Latest posts