After a year of hunting, I found my missing piece.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a 9x13 for so STINKING long and now it's here. Birch Custom Absolute toms with a Maple Custom Absolute bass drum.

Originally I found the 16x24 Maple Custom Absolute bass drum at a pawn shop. It had some power toms that I sold off (no floor tom), which had me at $0 on the big bass drum. The plan was to get some birch toms and do a Steve Gadd type thing.

Several months later I found the 16x16 BCA on Reverb in a set with smaller jazz sizes. I begged the seller to let the 16" floor tom go. Bam. 2/3 of the way there.

A freaking year goes by and a very nice drummer in California sees my post of desperation on the Yamaha Facebook group and offers up his 9x13!

Thanks for reading. It just feels so damn good.

IMG_3199.jpg

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Nice looking kit!
Did you rewrap it so everything would match, or were you lucky enough to get everything in a matching finish?

Elvis

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is so cool, what a stunning set and you made my morning to read a success story with a happy ending as opposed to most of my morning news! Way to go, congratulations!!!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful drums! I owned the Maple Custom Absolute about 20 years ago, also in Silver Sparkle Lacquer. Enjoy your drums. The wait, and frustration, was worth it!

-Mark

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many of us on here can relate to this - must feel GREAT!!

(There are those Yammy cymbal stands again - such a common favorite. I should have snagged up a ton of those 15 years ago when I could get them for $30 each.)

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great looking kit! Love the mixed woods for tone.
Yeah. I love the birch tom and maple bass drum combo. My old kit that I used for a long time was a Noble & Cooley maple bass drum with Yamaha Recording Custom birch toms.

It's the best of both worlds. Maple bass drums are just big and fill a lot of space and the birch toms are focused, loud, attack-y, and have a big dynamic range. I love the way they sound from behind the kit.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many of us on here can relate to this - must feel GREAT!!

(There are those Yammy cymbal stands again - such a common favorite. I should have snagged up a ton of those 15 years ago when I could get them for $30 each.)
The single-braced stuff is great. I keep that stuff in the practice space. I am playing out with the new Crosstown aluminum hardware, which stays in my trunk in the bag. Not that the single-braced stuff was heavy, but the Crosstown stuff is SO light. I wouldn't dream of taking my old hardware to a gig.