Age and Value of 4 x 13 Brass Piccolo Snare

cstorlie

Reaction score
Can someone help me date this drum and tell me what it might be worth? I'm moving and putting anything I don't want (like this drum) up for sale.

The pitting/rust spots are pretty heavy in the brass. Can this be fixed? Brasso cleaned the chrome very nicely.

Badge number is A00846. Clutch works great. Nothing written inside the drum. Air vent has hex shape.

Thanks,
Craig "Not a Drummer"

dw 3.jpg
dw 4.jpg
dw 2.jpg
dw 1.jpg

pgm554

Reaction score
$100 to $150.
Looks to be late 90's early 2000's.
Brass is quite damaged,so expect low pricing.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Old, pre collectors, likely 80's. How many lugs? 8? Looks like 6?
$150-200 tops in that shape. I have vintage DW's and you can definitely reach out to the company, which is great to reply, but they probably won't have much info on the earlier drums . They're going to want a picture of the badge and any serial number date stamp inside. I doubt there's a date though.....

What's the butt plate?

cstorlie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I wrote DW and haven't heard back. I suspected this was a 80's drum, simply on my second-hand purchase in '92 and it looking about as it looks today.

JazzDrumGuy asked "What's the butt plate?" My first thought was that it's a plate upon which you serve butt, but then I googled it and learned it's the opposite side of the throw off. Sorry for my ignorance - recall, I'm not a drummer.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
cstorlie,

Did you check your spam file?
I've written to company's before and it seemed like they never answered, only to find out the response ended up in my spam folder.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
They probably won't have data going back that far - I've tried, trust me. I'd like to see a picture of your butt (plate!) to try and determine era.........thanks.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are those nylon zip ties holding the snares onto the strainer? Ive never seen that before.

cstorlie

Reaction score
Nylon zip ties...yup. I"m and engineer, not a drummer. I know they won't stretch and are unlikely to break.

cstorlie

Reaction score
They probably won't have data going back that far - I've tried, trust me. I'd like to see a picture of your butt (plate!) to try and determine era.........thanks.
DwDrums told me that it's a Bell Brass snare from the mid to late 90's and can be considered Collectors Series. However, I swear I bought this in 92 or 93 at the latest and it looked 10 years old when I bought it. Attached are two pics of the butt plate and a pic from the DwDrums site showing the current Collectors series Bell Brass snare.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DwDrums told me that it's a Bell Brass snare from the mid to late 90's and can be considered Collectors Series. However, I swear I bought this in 92 or 93 at the latest and it looked 10 years old when I bought it. Attached are two pics of the butt plate and a pic from the DwDrums site showing the current Collectors series Bell Brass snare.
Bell brass?

cstorlie

Reaction score
Yes, quoting him directly. The new one at the DW web site also has "Bell Brass snare."

cstorlie

Reaction score
You sure it is 13"?
I may not be measuring this correctly. Please let me know if you agree with the following::
Photo 1 and 2 show 13-inch measurement.
Photo 3 shows measurement with tape "up against hump" that appears to make drum appear to have a 3.5-inch height. However, the brass extends beyond the hump.
Photo 4 shows my best guess at brass height. Lengthening of tape due to distortion of close-up photo appears to make my measurement too long, but this is my best guess at brass height: 4-inches.

dw 8.jpg
dw 9.jpg
dw 10.jpg
dw 11.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks like 3x13. I checked my late 80's/early 90's DW snare. It has the Cam-lock throw, a huge contraption on which you flick a button down which disengages a large vertical release mechanism. Works well but awful design, especially if you are going to do it on the fly mid song. My butt plate is just as big, but has a large black adjustment knob. Further research on DFO from a 2014 post indicates mine may be even older, but I digress.

Your butt (btw, the mount screws look non-DW) leads me to believe it is later 90's and possibly early 00's. Both my Craviotto DW snares (sadly, unsigned and un-date stamped) have similar butts. DW could not give me much info about them when I asked. Johnny was with DW about '93 - '03.

I still would be surprised about the bell brass, though - is there a seam inside it?
Is it heavy - I mean very heavy?

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
man that drums is so cool looking! Let me know if you ever want to sell it! I bet it sounds great!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I may not be measuring this correctly. Please let me know if you agree with the following::
Photo 1 and 2 show 13-inch measurement.
Photo 3 shows measurement with tape "up against hump" that appears to make drum appear to have a 3.5-inch height. However, the brass extends beyond the hump.
Photo 4 shows my best guess at brass height. Lengthening of tape due to distortion of close-up photo appears to make my measurement too long, but this is my best guess at brass height: 4-inches.

View attachment 451250 View attachment 451251 View attachment 451252 View attachment 451253
Pull the top head off, set the tape measure inside, against the shell and set the hook end against the bottom head (don't push).
Measure to the top edge of the shell.
I'm betting its actually 13x3.5.

Elvis

cstorlie

Reaction score
Looks like 3x13. I checked my late 80's/early 90's DW snare. It has the Cam-lock throw, a huge contraption on which you flick a button down which disengages a large vertical release mechanism. Works well but awful design, especially if you are going to do it on the fly mid song. My butt plate is just as big, but has a large black adjustment knob. Further research on DFO from a 2014 post indicates mine may be even older, but I digress.

Your butt (btw, the mount screws look non-DW) leads me to believe it is later 90's and possibly early 00's. Both my Craviotto DW snares (sadly, unsigned and un-date stamped) have similar butts. DW could not give me much info about them when I asked. Johnny was with DW about '93 - '03.

I still would be surprised about the bell brass, though - is there a seam inside it?
Is it heavy - I mean very heavy?
Yes, there is a seam (see pic), and it's definitely 13x4 (actually 12-7/8 x 4). The brass with attached lugs, throw-off, butt (no rims, snare, or heads) weighs 4 lb 2 oz. It doesn't seem that heavy, but I wear a 14 lb Les Paul and don't know a flim from a flam.

dw 12.jpg
dw 13.jpg
dw 14.jpg
dw15.jpg

Latest posts