Agean Hush Hush

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Has anyone tried out the Ageon Hush Hush cymbals? If so, what do you think? I love the idea of some cymbals that have the tone but are naturally backed down a bit on the decibles. They look like they may be a much cheaper alternative to the Sabian FRX cymbals.

Thanks

Ox Han

Reaction score
Bump!

Looking for the same answer. I found two bids but they aren’t that helpful. Basically, I’m trying to figure out if the hush hush cymbals are lower volume or Ageans take on something like the FRX.

I’m looking for a great practice cymbal and looking at their R series or hush hush it is actually lower
Volume. I’d consider the FRX but they aren’t really quiet.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bump!

Looking for the same answer. I found two bids but they aren’t that helpful. Basically, I’m trying to figure out if the hush hush cymbals are lower volume or Ageans take on something like the FRX.

I’m looking for a great practice cymbal and looking at their R series or hush hush it is actually lower
Volume. I’d consider the FRX but they aren’t really quiet.

Glad you bumped this. I'm still wondering.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
why not just play lighter or has an entire generation of drummers, given up/bypassed/ on /stick/ control/ control.
(way to teach, teachers.

those cymbals with all the holes in them are telling you that... you can't play low..you're an effing caveman..with no discipline and control..
you going to put up with that? sheeet.....

and then ask you for your money of top of that? sheeet...
...................................................message sent from.........B.R. and Jo Jones from the grave

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
why not just play lighter or has an entire generation of drummers, given up/bypassed/ on /stick/ control/ control.
(way to teach, teachers.

those cymbals with all the holes in them are telling you that... you can't play low..you're an effing caveman..with no discipline and control..

and then take your money of top of that? sheeet...
...................................................message sent from.........B.R. and Jo Jones from the grave
There it is.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
May as well bang on an open umbrella
---------------------------------message sent from Elvin Jones & Ed Shaughnessey
via ring 2 of Saturn

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
(way to teach, teachers.

and then ask you for your money of top of that? sheeet...

I wonder who buys the low volume stuff. Do you think it's actually specific to younger generations?

Ox Han

Reaction score
I wonder who buys the low volume stuff. Do you think it's actually specific to younger generations?
Drummers who don’t only play light jazz and might be in the following situations:

Drummers who don’t have the luxury of space. Drummers who are considerate of their families, especially young children, and neighbors.

A light touch only works for few genres. Being able to relax and hit more naturally is way better for practicing. Especially if you’re into meters style beats, Bonham-esque beats, d-beats or Grohl grooves.

yes, you could lightly tap your set, but the vibe, feel, and most importantly, sound for those genres need to be louder than “soft playing”. 20+ years of drumming have taught me this. If you don’t play those styles, good for you.

That’s why I like the option of black hole practice heads and low volume cymbals. It’s the acoustic guitar for drummers.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I actually reached out to sounds Anatolian, one of their distributors on Reverb, about the hush hush line.

They said hush hush is not as quiet as the r series. I think it’s similar to Sabian FRX but a little quieter.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of the Zildjian low volume cymbals but they sit unused in my music room. I have worked a lot on playing softer and using brushes or multi-rods, so now I ha e no need for them. I suppose they are for the drummer who either (1) does not want to change their playing technique or (2) needs to practice for a gig that requires heavy hitting, but doesn’t want to bother anyone or their own ears.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I bought a set of the Zildjian low volume cymbals but they sit unused in my music room. I have worked a lot on playing softer and using brushes or multi-rods, so now I ha e no need for them. I suppose they are for the drummer who either (1) does not want to change their playing technique or (2) needs to practice for a gig that requires heavy hitting, but doesn’t want to bother anyone or their own ears.
#2 is hitting a nail. Also, even adjusting your technique or using hot rods is still loud if you have to practice later in the evening/at night while family, or roommates, sleep, work, or just want to watch a movie.

Your situation may vary and YMMV

Ox Han

Reaction score
I have the L80 14" hats and 18" crash. I think the 18 is fine, but the hats really have no"chick" sound or feel to them. Its just a wood tapping sound similar to hitting a table with a drum stick. That's what draws me to Agean lines. I am thinking of just getting a pair of their hats.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't own any low-volume cymbals (and likely never will), but I've played the Sabian FRX cymbals and really like what they offer. I honestly can't hear much-reduced volume from them, but the tones they deliver are quite nice if you need a highly-targeted frequency response - namely, a lack of undertones and wash. It's not a sound that I would want all the time, but it's not at all unpleasant. If I had stupid money to play around with, I'd definitely buy a full set.

GeeDeeEmm

Ox Han

Reaction score
I don't own any low-volume cymbals (and likely never will), but I've played the Sabian FRX cymbals and really like what they offer. I honestly can't hear much-reduced volume from them, but the tones they deliver are quite nice if you need a highly-targeted frequency response - namely, a lack of undertones and wash. It's not a sound that I would want all the time, but it's not at all unpleasant. If I had stupid money to play around with, I'd definitely buy a full set.

GeeDeeEmm
I agree. They aren’t practice cymbals and are just designed to have less...bite, or cut though, I guess.

Mass Ev

Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead to chime in. I own the 14 inch hush hush hats and they are not as quiet as any low volume cymbals. I haven’t played the FRX stuff but they are probably closer to that, but I feel like they are easier to play quieter. If I’m really smashing on them I’m getting mid 90s. I don’t hit very hard though so they rarely getting that loud. I think they sound really good too. If you’re going to go with any of the low volume stuff though, the Agean Low volume cymbals are the only ones that actually sound like proper cymbals (I have the Natural R ride)

Latest posts