Agop Convert

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sound great.
No one afaik has owned bought (or shared with us) a one..

The Turkish-located seller on ebay I watched for months
$797 for the 22"..
afaik no one owns any in the US

they're as rare as an aventador targa top special edition..

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No one afaik has owned bought (or shared with us) a one..

The Turkish seller on ebay I watched for months
$797 for the 22'..
afaik no one owns any in the US
Yeah that's out of my price range!

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 22” K Con MTL is hands down one of the best cymbals I’ve ever played, and no matter how far down the Turkish rabbit hole I go, I’ll never say no to a nice Zildjian. That said, Agops — especially Sigs — are my weakness.

marc3k

Reaction score
My first "nice" ride cymbal was a 22 Zildjian K Dark Medium Ride. After two years I was looking for something lighter and I actually really wanted to get a Kerope. Then I heard a Constantinople Renaissance and thought this is even nicer. But these rides are really expensive. Only then I learned about the Agops. They were still cheaper (less expensive) than Zildjians. Since they are handmade and cheaper, I did not have to think twice.
I bought a 30th Anniversary 22 ride and I really love it. In addition I bought a 21 Mel Lewis and recently got a very good price on a 21 traditional dark ride. I'm completely satisfied with my Agops!!

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once had a job that required me to attend a NAMM show. When I was finally able to get away from my booth I took a wander over to the percussion offerings and found myself stuck in the Agop encampment, just surrounded by lush gorgeousness. I added so many cymbals to my wish list that day and I still haven't recovered. Still dreaming about that 24" Traditional Mini Cup.

stefanwegner

Reaction score
15" 30th hats, 22" 30th ride, 22" Sig China – the three best cymbals I've had...by far. Just so musical and magical. Sold most of the rest (all Zildjians or Paiste). Agops just fit where I'm at and have for a couple years now – feel like home to me. I've been trying to find a ride for my left side to complement the 22" 30th. I've got a 21" Signature Ride that's just a little too dry, a 22" Mel Lewis that's a little too high, and a 20" Mel Lewis that's a little too washy. These cymbals set a pretty high bar for me and finding the perfect complements for them is tougher than I thought – even within their own line! And man, what a line! Love them.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Played a mix of everything for a long time. Then a few years ago I went all in on the Paiste Masters Series. That of course led me right down the Turkish rabbit hole so to speak, and coupled with the discovery of Carter McLean's playing, I sold almost everything non-Agop and took the plunge. Besides a few sentimental pies, the only real survivor of the cymbal purge was a 22" Paiste Masters Swish, to which there is no equal. Love the Agops! Every series fills a gap, and they're all unique.

ThomasL

Reaction score
Not to blaspheme, but there must be a few guys in Turkey banging out with the same skill as Spizzichino or any other craftsman. You just gotta search.
Turkey is full of cymbalsmiths that are very skilled at hammering cymbals into shape. Not many of them are drummers.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where (I said) (I think) Old K artisans were symphony oriented (orchestra) or even march band (what was around at the time.
It's what "music" is in the ears of the workers... maybe.

Otherwise you can 'go thru' the process and end up with
"costume-jewelry"
ask your wife girlfriend sister or mother what that is..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty badd az set...specific not general business (unless you're part-crazy..)

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have also switched to an Agop ride. And very glad to see a few posts highlighting the 22” SE Jazz. This ride has it all for me. Best ride I’ve had in 40 years of playing.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's where they start to get a littel off the rails..

not sure quite exactly what that is..
It's a Noise I know that much..

I'm not sure it's a "musical" noise tho..
could be "costume jewelry"..designed to "look" like a cymbal.

..mmmmm...

these to me 'never settle down' and "pick a dam note" constantly internally, modulating..never settle (on a pitch) Float

Last edited:

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
here's where they start to get a littel off the rails..

these to me 'never settle down' and "pick a dam note" constantly internally, modulating..never settle (on a pitch) Float

To be fair, the only models of Agop I was not very impressed with based solely on these types of solo'd audio files were these Traditional Medium Rides. They suffer from not being heard in the context of louder music, which is where they really belong sonically. Those overtones become less of an issue when in the context of a loud band.

One of the things I like the best about all of the Agop stuff is specifically that you can get a variety of notes and tones out of one cymbal just based upon where you are hitting and how you are hitting the cymbal. They are very different than something like a Paiste 2002 which is very consistent and monotone. The Agops really make you focus on your touch, becasue if you don't things can get out of hand very fast.