Agop SE Jazz ride cleaning

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
would it be safe to use Paiste cleaner and/or protector to clean Agop SE Jazz ride?

Is there some special patina on Agop SE?

I picked up a used ride and I kinda want to clean it.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would only use warm water and soap. The greenish surface on the partially lathed sides of Sigs/SEs is different from the Turk-style raw finish, but more likely a "baked" finish than a chemical patina.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
While this line appears unfinished in it's natural state already, I believe it does have an applied patina as well. I base this off a simply empirical observation (like that? It was on my "word of the day" calendar!)... there is patina OVER the lathe marks! If it was natural, the lathing would have revealed bright bronze underneath.

So as I built my SE set, I cleaned every one of them... and I mean I threw everything including the kitchen sink at them in an effort to brighten them up just a bit. I was very pleased with the outcome, they still look like a set of Signatures, but they sound maybe 10% brighter. The improvement (or maybe I should say increase depending on what your looking for) was pretty defined.

Good luck with the project,
Ward

This is after cleaning... they still look cool and sound even better!

20200216_132357 copy.jpg

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While this line appears unfinished in it's natural state already, I believe it does have an applied patina as well. I base this off a simply empirical observation (like that? It was on my "word of the day" calendar!)... there is patina OVER the lathe marks! If it was natural, the lathing would have revealed bright bronze underneath.

So as I built my SE set, I cleaned every one of them... and I mean I threw everything including the kitchen sink at them in an effort to brighten them up just a bit. I was very pleased with the outcome, they still look like a set of Signatures, but they sound maybe 10% brighter. The improvement (or maybe I should say increase depending on what your looking for) was pretty defined.

Good luck with the project,
Ward

This is after cleaning... they still look cool and sound even better!

View attachment 462865
Your picture shows only Signature sets, not SEs, correct?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your picture shows only Signature sets, not SEs, correct?
I am so sorry, I'm an idiot and completely mis-read your orgional post. I saw SE and my brain took it as Signature! Sorry about the confusion on that.

I will say that I believe the process is the same for both series but I have no actual experience with the SE line.

Again, sorry.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry, I'm an idiot and completely mis-read your orgional post. I saw SE and my brain took it as Signature! Sorry about the confusion on that.

I will say that I believe the process is the same for both series but I have no actual experience with the SE line.

Again, sorry.
no worries. Thought so

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If they still make them the same way as when they came out, SEs start out as Sigs, but get fully lathed on top.