Agop Traditional Rides

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Agop website and trying to discern the differences between the dark, original and medium rides in the 21" size.
Anybody have experience with all 3 or know the scoop? I mean I can guess the general differences, but I'm looking for fine details in production and design.

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Tony just has a brief description

They used to have even more models as you can see there, with very subtle differences. Simplification of the number of models went on since Tony put those descriptions up. You might be able to find out more if you trawl through the wayback machine (internet archive). I think the Dark might have some visible hammering on the bell (to darken the cymbal response in the higher frequencies at a wild guess).

Somebody else might know more, and if so I'll add it to my somewhat meager notes on these.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
In Presplit there were two "Originals'. Original and Original Light. I know I had em both. I had a choice between them. Medium was what was basically in sound an Avedis A Medium Ride w/just a little more exotic flavor (not much you had to dig for it) .

Last edited:

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I'm afraid that I can't answer your specific question, but I can comment in general about the Agop rides.

I own a 20" Agop Traditional Medium Ride that weighs in at 2470 grams and play in jam sessions where the house drummer's kit usually includes an Agop ride that I believe is 20.5" and is about the same weight but in the past he has set up a thinner Agop ride at about the same circumference. (One of his is an Agop anniversary ride, but I forget which one, and I don't believe either of his is labeled either "traditional" or "medium," though one may be labeled "original.")

He stopped setting up the thinner ride after I told him that it doesn't matter how it sounds because nobody can hear it. That was true. This is not a loud jam, mostly blues in a club that holds about 100 people comfortably and 200 packed, but the thin ride just doesn't have the carrying power.

Humorously, neither he nor I can tell the difference between his and my Agop more medium rides. There probably are differences, but for pounding out blues at moderate volumes, they're essentially interchangeable.

I've also noticed just from listening in the audience that his Agop medium can have a nice jazzy sound. He's got a thin Kerope that is better suited to that, but as a practical matter the Agop medium does about as well--while it also covers the other bases.

My personal opinion is that the Agop medium is darn near the quintessential versatile ride. Neither his nor mine is my favorite cymbal for anything, but both cymbals cover all the bases adequately. I suspect that both of us prefer the thinner Agop (I do) but what we prefer and what works are two different things.

I don't believe any of the three cymbals are labeled "dark," but none is what I'd call a bright cymbals. I've got no idea what you'd get into with one labeled "dark."

My take is that Agop makes good cymbals, but within the same basic cymbal type (Agop does make other types, including brighter rock cymbals) labels may not mean much. Weight and circumference are probably the main things to go by, though I would be curious what "dark" means in their lineup.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I can't answer your specific question, but I can comment in general about the Agop rides.

I own a 20" Agop Traditional Medium Ride that weighs in at 2470 grams and play in jam sessions where the house drummer's kit usually includes an Agop ride that I believe is 20.5" and is about the same weight but in the past he has set up a thinner Agop ride at about the same circumference. (One of his is an Agop anniversary ride, but I forget which one, and I don't believe either of his is labeled either "traditional" or "medium," though one may be labeled "original.")

He stopped setting up the thinner ride after I told him that it doesn't matter how it sounds because nobody can hear it. That was true. This is not a loud jam, mostly blues in a club that holds about 100 people comfortably and 200 packed, but the thin ride just doesn't have the carrying power.

Humorously, neither he nor I can tell the difference between his and my Agop more medium rides. There probably are differences, but for pounding out blues at moderate volumes, they're essentially interchangeable.

I've also noticed just from listening in the audience that his Agop medium can have a nice jazzy sound. He's got a thin Kerope that is better suited to that, but as a practical matter the Agop medium does about as well--while it also covers the other bases.

My personal opinion is that the Agop medium is darn near the quintessential versatile ride. Neither his nor mine is my favorite cymbal for anything, but both cymbals cover all the bases adequately. I suspect that both of us prefer the thinner Agop (I do) but what we prefer and what works are two different things.

I don't believe any of the three cymbals are labeled "dark," but none is what I'd call a bright cymbals. I've got no idea what you'd get into with one labeled "dark."

My take is that Agop makes good cymbals, but within the same basic cymbal type (Agop does make other types, including brighter rock cymbals) labels may not mean much. Weight and circumference are probably the main things to go by, though I would be curious what "dark" means in their lineup.
Thanks for the replies, all. Much appreciated.
Anybody have experience with a dark?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
All I can say about the Dark ride is, I had a model named Jazz. (not a series just Ink on the backside)
somewhere between 1996-2000 it was a model. Mine was an 18 and I think I put two rivets in it.

That model Jazz faded away later came Dark (and Signature

Ride Jazz was a presplit model and continued for a few until things really got rolling..

Old Drummer

Reaction score
In Presplit there were two "Originals'. Original and Original Light. I know I had em both. I had a choice between them. Medium was what was basically in sound an Avedis A Medium Ride w/just a little more exotic flavor (not much you had to dig for it) .
It's interesting to me that you equate the Agop Medium with the A Medium. As someone who played an A for decades, I equate the two as well. However, to my ears, the main difference is that Agop lacks the annoying overtones of the A, not that it's more exotic. It may well be that too, but to me the pro of the Agop imho is not what it possesses but what it lacks. Namely, it lacks whatever it is that I didn't like about my A, though otherwise sounds similar.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is the Turkish catalog list of models- PRESPLIT- with some carrying over- after the split-

Ready? it's huge. These are models names circa 94-92 i dunno exact year maybe 95
You notice there's no Ride Dark. There's a Crash Dark. And there is Ride Jazz. Ottoman Jazz Ride. Sultan Jazz Ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think someone said the Ride Jazz (or Jazz Ride) turned into the Ride Dark or Dark Ride.

If so it's a good one I'd trust it.

The Jazz Rides were a little warmer and darker than the Originals which had a little higher- still thin- sound to them.
Jazz Rides (and maybe the Dark) had a very flat profile and warm sound, New Stampy sound. Lush spread Lush warm and fuzzy

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, all. Much appreciated.
Anybody have experience with a dark?

I actually do have a 21" Traditional "Dark" that weighs in at 2,204 grams. I dont find it dark per say, but it is a bit more mellow than my previous Traditional models (Original & Medium). I interchange it with my 21" Signature (1,931 grams) depending on the room and the need. It plays very nicely with it's brethern, but it's still pretty bright most likley due to it's weight. I often add a sizzle chain to it to "trash" it up a bit as it is not organically complex as I would prefer.

20180923_120954 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Tracktuary

Reaction score
@fatdrum
I actually do have a 21" Traditional "Dark" that weighs in at 2.204 grams. I dont find it dark per say, but it is a bit more mellow than my previous Traditional models (Original & Medium). I interchange it with my 21" Signature (1,931 grams) depending on the room and the need. It plays very nicely with it's brethern, but it's still pretty bright most likley due to it's weight. I often add a sizzle chain to it to "trash" it up a bit as it in not organically as complex as I would prefer.
Any audio/video clips of this setup? I'd love to hear all of those signatures!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@fatdrum

Any audio/video clips of this setup? I'd love to hear all of those signatures!
I uses this rig in couple of differnt bands (both lower voulme and trios where I get to cover a bit more sound) and I probably have a ton of stuff with just the Signature's. But a quick look on the guitarist you tube channel reveled this oddly shot video with the Sigs and the 21" Traditional Dark ride. Not bad audio I suppose for a single I-Pad recording. But you can tell the Dark is still pretty bright compared to the other plates.

Istanbul AGOP 15” Signature Series Hi Hats (1021 over 1110 grams), 20” Signature Series Crash (1609 grams), Istanbul AGOP 21” Signature Series Ride (1931 grams) and a 21" Traditional Dark Ride (2204 grams). I have a 20" super thin Sig ride as well but not in this video.

tripp2k

Reaction score

Latest posts