Air Drummers How Many Toms?

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding how many toms I should use for my AD kit. I know it depends on what style of music I'm playing but I still need some advice. Already have my crash cymbals at 1980 heights for a better workout and my girlfriend thinks it looks rad. She also wants my toms two up two down but two up gets in the way of my ride cymbal. I'm thinking she might like one up three down just as much or even better after she watches me play it. There's also the issue of one or two bass drums. What do you AD guys use?

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Air-OctaPlus all the way!!!

Plus I just picked up a couple packages of these for my '59 Gold Top Les Paul, the most pristine 'Paul you've never seen... highly coveted by Hendrix, Beck, Blackmore, Vaughn, etc...

KAGS.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My kit is ever changing, I can materialize toms, kicks or cymbals out of thin air to suit every groove, every fill... You just have to believe in yourself and just go for it, the drums WIL be there...

At the instant the air sticks hit the heads, bam they're there, and then they disapear, and reappear for the next hit. The whole process is so fast though, that to a neophyte, it appears as though they are invisible. But I know... And if you believe hard enough, you'll know too ;-)

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Others are hitting the point and I'll expand on it, I don't think it matters, positioning wise because they move around to the exact correct spot exactly when you need them. Put 'em all in there, include that one tom and cymbal you had 20 years ago that you wish you still had - it's there when you need it.

Having said that, I'm not much of an air drummer. Finger tapper. Making dinner in the kitchen or folding clothes in the bedroom I always have something going on and chest of drawers and counter tops all have that cajon sweet spot if you hit it right.

Dirty tupperware bowl in the sink? It's totally getting a roll.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not exactly air drumming per-se but my car's steering wheel is probably out of round on account of all the rolls and fills I do when I'm caught in traffic... There might be a market for a steering wheel cover with triggers, could be managed by a phone app and sent to your stereo via blue tooth...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of something I've seen at Starving Musician in Santa Cruz (DFO-er Stretch Riedle runs it). I don't the photo handy but it was something like this. Two bowls with picks for sale.......

AG1.jpg

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Not exactly air drumming per-se but my car's steering wheel is probably out of round on account of all the rolls and fills I do when I'm caught in traffic... There might be a market for a steering wheel cover with triggers, could be managed by a phone app and sent to your stereo via blue tooth...
My new car doesn't have a drivers footrest which makes playing the bass drum with my left foot while my right is on the accelerator pedal quite awkward :(.

My air drum kit just has three across the front and two floors like my acoustic kit, it's what I'm used to.

Last edited:

Reaction score
A few Frank's and a Jerry, but no Tom's.