Ajax drums?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Cleanest dam drums you'll ever play ( ;) ).
Yeah, it says Ajax.
Budget line English drums from the 50's-60's.

Elvis

Exploder

Reaction score
Ajax drums in that finish were my first drum kit...dark brown shell interiors..may have been birch
The lugs were terrible , internal spring that rattled and the lugs were screwed to the outside of the shell with these then di cast metal tabs that cracked and broke......

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have had a couple sets but both with more of a preimer lug. Mine both had what I call a low profile dye cast hoops of sorts. Like already mentioned your usual across the pond shells.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
International shell sizes as I understand it, but I would die to have this beauty -

Ajax Kit Turquoise.jpg

Jay_M

Reaction score
I have an Ajax Nu-Sound kit with a 20" BD, 13" Rack and 14" and 16" FTs. I love it, it's my main set and I've recorded and done tons of videos with it on Instagram and get compliments on the sound often. Agreed with "airy" for the tom sounds. The 16" FT is kind of tympanic with a lot of resonance. The 14" is more punchy. I think part of the reason they're so open is they never installed tone controls on the Nu Sound sets so unless you moon gel or tape them, the only way you'll hear them without effort is wide open. The lugs are pretty frail at the tabs where they screw to the drum (kinda like Rogers B&Bs) so they tend to snap sometimes. You'll get some random rattling sounds from the box lugs too. They have their quirks but I personally love them and wouldn't mind another set (or a 12" tom). And that said, if anyone has the matching snare or the chrome Ajax "Metasonic" snare for sale, let me know.

AJAX.jpg