AKG D12 (kinda) rant

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've bought an AKG D12 for $400 or so. Allegedly it'a the best microphone for a bass drum. Not surprisingly, mine has a pretty steep roll-off below 100Hz, which seems to be a very common failure in these mics. I tried to open it up (WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!) and knocked a wire broken. I'm going to send it to a qualified tech to repair it.
I'm afraid that even after the repair, I don't really dare to take it out again. Maybe it will be relegated to home and studio use only.
I think we all should be extra careful about buying vintage electronic gear. Most of them won't age gracefully! :shaking:

petemin

Reaction score
most d12s at this point don't have low end. unfortunately there's no way to fix them as far as i know. apparently it's the capsule and akg doesn't fix them anymore. i have 2 that have low end, but sound totally different from each other. i wouldn't buy a d12 unless you're able to hear one and know that it has strong low end. hope that helps.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
An authorized AKG repair guy said he should be able to repair but he's now in quarantine. Hope he does well.

petemin

Reaction score
fix the capsule? please let me know when you find out. i'd love to know if they can be fixed.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Or you could use a Beta52. If you like the sound of a d112 you could try an Audix d6. They are clicky in a more modern vibe than the d112. I prefer the Beta52 because I feel it gets a good usable open bass drum tone as well as the tight punchy for live/studio thing if you need it. If I only had one kick mic the 52 is a solid choice. I have one of each. I have a D6 that I no longer need if you want it or anyone else need one. P.M. me...

There are tons of great kick mics since the d112 came out.

Good luck.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a D12, not a D112. I bought it PRECISELY because I DON'T want the clicky sound... In fact I just sold my Beta 52. :icon_lol:

petemin

Reaction score
yeah, not a fan of either the beta 52 or d112, although the d112 is more favorable to beta 52.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a D12, not a D112. I bought it PRECISELY because I DON'T want the clicky sound... In fact I just sold my Beta 52. :icon_lol:
Try an Electrovoice ND868 then.
The newer ND68 is supposedly similar but a bit faster.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try an Electrovoice ND868 then.
The newer ND68 is supposedly similar but a bit faster.
Thanks for the suggestion! I checked the spec sheet and noticed the ND68 is a bit hypercardioid.
I've got an AKG D112 while the D12 is getting repaired. To my understanding it's a bit more clicky (and physically robust) than a D12, but mellower and more natural than most other BD mics. Looks great, BTW. ;-)

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The D112 doesn't have a whole lot of low end either. And it smells like mud. :help:

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Occured to me that Ringo didn't have that much low end on Come Together either. :blackeye:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the classic EV RE20... That is going to be the closest thing to a D12. They were side-by-side competitors back in the day. You either used a D12 or EV RE20...although some people were using Sennheiser MD421s too... Try the EV RE20...it is the last old school bass drum mics.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the classic EV RE20... That is going to be the closest thing to a D12. They were side-by-side competitors back in the day. You either used a D12 or EV RE20...although some people were using Sennheiser MD421s too... Try the EV RE20...it is the last old school bass drum mics.
The 868 was described as somewhat similar to the RE20, more bass drum-specific. The RE20 is a different price range, but one of the overall great mics of all time for sure.
Another more neutral mic used on bass drum would be the Beyerdynamic M88.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think for the money I spent on a D12 I should've already afforded an RE20! :nike: