AKG D12 (kinda) rant

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the classic EV RE20... That is going to be the closest thing to a D12. They were side-by-side competitors back in the day. You either used a D12 or EV RE20...although some people were using Sennheiser MD421s too... Try the EV RE20...it is the last old school bass drum mics.
God I love RE20s. When I was working in a studio that was the king for bass drums and for bass cabs. They can hold up to a grindy bass tone. They also sound fantastic on vocals. A true multi-purpose mic.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
d112 should have plenty of low end
It has. I tried playing a bass guitar through it, and it sounded nearly indistinguishible from an Oktava 012 (apart from the characteristic twangy top end). Maybe my D12 never used to be broken at all? Just I shouldn't test it on vocal only. :shaking:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I remember wanting a D12 so bad after reading about it somewhere as the ultimate bass drum mic (specifically the D12E). I ended up with an RE20 and that worked for me. I bought it from another drummer who had just added another bass drum to his set and needed two of the same mic so he bought two new D112s which had only just recently been introduced. A few years ago I saw what I thought was a D12 for sale on Craigslist for $50. I drove almost 100 miles to snag it only to find out it was a look alike Chinese copy. It worked but did not sound good. Who'd a thunk that anyone was selling counterfeit copies of mics that hadn't been made in 30 years?

I had to retire my RE20 because the interior foam dried out and the element was just flopping around inside the case but last summer I ordered the replacement foam kit and now it's as good as new.

Some of the other old EV mics, like the 664, are reputed to be good on bass drum by virtue of their relatively large diaphrams. I have a couple floating around somewhere but have never tried them for that. The 664 and 665 are similar and often quite inexpensive to buy, the somewhat similar 666 is a "broadcast" version that is sought after and usually pretty expensive.

Another bass drum mic I always wondered about was the Beyer M380 which, if I recall, the spec sheet said went down to 10hz and had a figure 8 pattern. They still make a similar looking mic (I have one from the 90s, TGX-50 I think) but I believe they changed the actual guts at some point.

petemin

Reaction score
beyer m380 has the most amount of low end of any mic i have, but it also has very little top end. at least mine doesn't. great mic for anything bassy. use an additional mic for top end.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I know we are talking about the D 12 mic but I have had a D112 for 21 years and it has worked like a charm. It's been mounted inside a classic maple bass drum since 2013 and it has done hundreds of gigs and it never fails. I didn't know squat about mics when I bought it but I read an interview with Jeff Porcoro saying that is what he used. I just figured that if it was good enough for him then I wanted that.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 868 was described as somewhat similar to the RE20, more bass drum-specific. The RE20 is a different price range, but one of the overall great mics of all time for sure.
Another more neutral mic used on bass drum would be the Beyerdynamic M88.
The EV 868s are absolutely fantastic mics. I have quite a few of them that I use within the May Internal mics. GREAT mics!

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I use a D12 about 2 feet from the front head and a Sennheiser 902 closer to the rear head or in the port hole, with a blanket covering the entire drum. The d12 gives me the bass drum and snare too in a more natural form. The 902 is one of the least artifical version of cheaper kick drum mics. I thought the d12 was a vocal microphone. Wouldn't it therefore have a bottom end rolloff? I know they changed components a bit. I wouldn't say it is bottom heavy anyway. It's all there - you can EQ the crap out of those things and sort of get any sound. Hopefully you will get yours sorted.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if you ever heard back from the AKG tech about your mic. When I just read your initial post for the first time my first thought was "Uh-oh, he bought a copy." I worked for Harman (parent company of AKG) between 2009 and 2013 and back then they were aware that there were lots of fake D12s on the used market — look-alikes with cheap capsules. An authentic D12 that's functioning properly has lots of low end.

BTW, you can easily get a similar sound with a D112 by simply rolling-off the hi-end. (I use two D112s.)

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
God I love RE20s. When I was working in a studio that was the king for bass drums and for bass cabs. They can hold up to a grindy bass tone. They also sound fantastic on vocals. A true multi-purpose mic.
I've seen them used on sax, floor toms, hell many radio studios used them for their DJ mics. You could probably fell a stampeding bull with one or pound in a few nails.

Dan

Exploder

Reaction score
I had an AKG D12 in the 80's..was a go to kick drum mike back then...being a ribbon mike it is fragile...When working they have heaps of low frequencies but as the sound required out of bass drums required more top end cut they want out of fashion

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the classic EV RE20... That is going to be the closest thing to a D12. They were side-by-side competitors back in the day. You either used a D12 or EV RE20...although some people were using Sennheiser MD421s too... Try the EV RE20...it is the last old school bass drum mics.
I played a big theatre and the sound guy mixed my bass drum with an RE-20 and to this day it is the best live bass drum sound through a PA I have ever experienced . I was really impressed with that Mic .

I used a Shure Beta 52 for quite awhile , then a Sennheiser E-902 and now back to an AKG D112 . I think of these three I like the Sennheiser most .

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
M88 is very honest for a bd mic, favorite for more vintage, open sounds.
Ev 868 could also be a candidate, lots of low-end, a bit mellow on top, not that clicky. Might work great as an outside mic with a clicky internal one.

Sesh

Reaction score
Dynamics are cool and all.. but has anyone tried a U47 Fet? A transformer-coupled condenser mic, THEE legendary condenser for kick applications in top class studios. The real Neumanns are hella expensive, but you can get clones/mics inspired by it like the ones from Advanced Audio (https://advancedaudio.ca/) or 3U Audio (look for the Warbler MK II) pretty cheap. And they're super versatile - can be used for mono OH etc. as well.