AKG D12 (kinda) rant

TPC

Reaction score
^ Yes and yes.

I’ve been using a LDC on bass drum for the last couple years. Granted, it’s not a U47 (AT3035), but it does sound WAY better than any dynamic mic I’ve ever used.

I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a change in their bass drum mic try a LDC.

I’m going to take a good look at those Advanced Audio. Very interesting.

Sesh

Reaction score
^ Yes and yes.

I’ve been using a LDC on bass drum for the last couple years. Granted, it’s not a U47 (AT3035), but it does sound WAY better than any dynamic mic I’ve ever used.

I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a change in their bass drum mic try a LDC.

I’m going to take a good look at those Advanced Audio. Very interesting.
Do so! GREAT mics for th eprice.

If you want to take it even further, buy an Advanced Audio U47 clone or the 3U AudioWarbler MK II, buy a 1:1 clone of the original U47 capsule from Beezneez https://beesneezproaudio.com/product/capsule-k7/ - capsules are BY FAR the most important aspect of a good microphone and AA uses cheap, but quality-tested chinese knockoffs hence the low price, while Beezneez are handbuilt to original specs - get a local tech to install it.

And voila - a mic as good as a 3000-4000 usd/euro boutique one. A desert island mic.

Reactions: TPC

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Re: U 47-
I keep thinking the sound pressure might harm the membrane on such a high-class condenser mic. I remember reading that a big studio used only one of their U47 for bass drum. I don't really see the reason for using such a detailed-sounding, expensive mic for capturing what's basically low-end information outside the drum. Wouldn't you be able to get the same from any decent mic capable of transforming low frequencies?

Sesh

Reaction score
You're right, it's an expensive mic to use for a recording situation with potentially harming high levels of sound pressure, but it's able to handle it. Even more reason to buy a good quality knockoff!

It depends on the aesthetic you're going for. You're also right that if you're only using a mic on the resonant head for the low end in a modern punchy drum sound with lots of close mics, it's not ideal. Also, if you room sound sucks, it's gonna emphasize that even more than a dynamic (after all, rejection is what dynamics are famous for)

But say you're going for a folksy, indie, jazzy vibe with less drum mics. It's perfect. It is, if you ask me, a more natural "acoustic/this is how the drum sounds in the room" kinda sound. 'Cause let's be honest, a kick doesn't sound for instance as clicky as a D112 makes it sound :D But it's an aesthetic.

sws2h

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From an old email when Richard Land at Land Audio (US Authorize AKG repair) brought my D12E back to life:

As long as the mic passes signal and has loss of low end we should be able to bring it back. We have a very good success rate with this repair but occasionally it will just not adjust back. So, if we can bring it back to it's former glory which I believe we have a very good chance of doing the charge is $150.00 plus shipping, but if it will not adjust back we do have a bench fee of $75.00 plus shipping to return the mic. Either way with this mic I believe it is definitely worth a shot.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
... 'Cause let's be honest, a kick doesn't sound for instance as clicky as a D112 makes it sound :D ...
If you're willing to use the Treble EQ on your mixer (or DAW) bass drum channel and experiment a bit with mic placement it's not hard at all to get a natural "in-room" bass drum sound with a D112 (or Audix D6 or Shure SM52 or any other bass drum mic that has a tailored response curve):
  • Place the mic 6 or 8 inches away from the reso head, off-center and record some BD kicks.
  • If the playback sound is too "clicky" you can use the BD channel's Treble EQ (peaking EQ — shelving EQ will overly muffle the drum's sound).
  • Set the EQ center frequency to around 4k and set the Q to around 2.
  • Turn the EQ gain UP to around +8dB and slide the center frequency up and down until the click is the most prominent, then turn the EQ gain DOWN to around –12dB or until the click disappears to a satisfactory level.
  • If necessary widen the Q to 1.5 or 1.6.
This will eliminate the clickiness without completely muffling the sound of the drum.

Easy-peasy, and you just saved thousands. (I mean, if I had a couple of U47s to use on my drums the first place I try them is as overheads; the second place I'd try would be as room mics.)