Al Jackson Jr. on Doug Clifford's Camcos?

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For sure, Cliffords. I have shared this clip here before, I love it. To the extent that our extremely informal and secular wedding had a processional, the studio version was it.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, I assume they belong to Mr. Clifford. He and the rest of CCR are watching from the side of the stage. Must have been a variety of artists on this show.

They can play anyones gear and sound so soulful!
Grew up listening to alot of Stax's finest!
Well done,BT&MGs
Thanks for sharing!

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How marvelous is this? What an era that was for music of all kinds? For those of you who were of age during this period from 1965-1975...you saw and experienced the peak of music, period!
Gotta agree those were good times indeed for music. So glad I was there :)
Coy

PS bell bottom pants too!

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@kdgrissom - thanks for sharing that. Interesting to see Al playing essentially the same fills as on the record. My band often opens with Time is Tight and I can't help but trying to play the same fills in the same places too, that's the song in my head and don't want to change it.

evanf

Reaction score
I believe he actually used 18" hats.

Apparently, John Fogerty had trouble hearing Doug's hi hats in larger venues and requested the larger hats. Not sure if it's fact or not.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They were 18's.

From Modern Drummer, 11/2012:

MD: Your drums on the records have a very natural, open sound, sometimes with a nice bit of ring on the snare—it never sounds compressed. Was that a conscious production decision or just a result of recording as live as possible?

Doug: It was pretty much just the way it was. I had a basic four-piece kit with one crash on the left side and a 22″ ride. I used the ride cymbal as a crash quite a bit. Another unique thing that I’ve been doing since 1969: I have 18″ hi-hats. In the old days—drum gear is made much stronger now—I had to go to the hardware store and buy a spring that would hold up their weight. With the store bought stand I couldn’t even open the hats! [laughs]

Latest posts