header.nohb.html

Alesis DM10 upgrade..?

merseymale

Reaction score
Hi!
Do you think the dtx500 DrumBrain is a good enough upgrade to the second generation DM 10 module from Alesis?

A127AAD9-D869-48A7-BC62-3A201B66A31D.jpeg

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Depends on your needs and wants and what issue you have with the DM10. Why "upgrade"?

The 500 was replaced by the 502 and I'd choose that over the 500 - it's not much more. (or go 700, or 900 or etc). Note - you'd have to get a Yammy hat controller. The Alesis pads should be OK.

Last edited:

merseymale

Reaction score
Depends on your needs and wants and what issue you have with the DM10. Why "upgrade"?

The 500 was replaced by the 502 and I'd choose that over the 500 - it's not much more. (or go 700, or 900 or etc). Note - you'd have to get a Yammy hat controller. The Alesis pads should be OK.
Thanks for the reply!

Basically, the user interface on the DM 10 is problematic… Difficult… There is a lot of searching thru menus, which is okay, as it goes, but tryna to do all that from a tiny LCD screen is a bit of a ‘faff’!
Also is it a bit outdated by today’s standards?
I mean it would be great to find some sort of ‘tier’ or ‘hierarchy’ to compare a list of drum modules/brains for general comparison!
-Sure, you can always compare a single brand’s products, but across brands, it’s difficult, I think…

I feel I didn’t choose the DM10; I feel it was just part of the pads/setup and I had to kind of live with it. I am just thinking that maybe I could get something better thst was also easier to use(in the 5O2’s case, the iPhone app might make diving into menus easier?)

I’m chiefly into REALISM when it comes to Drum Voices; not overly concerned with amount of inputs and don’t have Tons of Money to spend so am looking at what’s on the used market, these days, that may be contain upgrade…

electrodrummer

Reaction score
....I feel I didn’t choose the DM10; I feel it was just part of the pads/setup and I had to kind of live with it. I am just thinking that maybe I could get something better thst was also easier to use(in the 5O2’s case, the iPhone app might make diving into menus easier?)

I’m chiefly into REALISM when it comes to Drum Voices; not overly concerned with amount of inputs and don’t have Tons of Money to spend so am looking at what’s on the used market, these days, that may be contain upgrade…

If by "realism" - you mean "sounds like an acoustic kit" (edrums *are* "real" - just not acoustic ;) )

...then yes, a 502 is a good choice - multi-layered sampled expensive Yammies and Zildjans in there (not models). All down to budget - a 502 module in the UK is typically about £150. And, yes, the app if you have the correct Apple stuff is a bonus!