Alex and Geddy with Matt Stone on drums

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard a fill that the drummer didn’t play , was a drummer out of view in that video ?
The video in your link isn’t viewable , I saw it on a different link in my newsfeed this am

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read about this, too.....Stone is behind Geddy. Who is the other guy doing most of the drumming???

MS.jpg

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just read about this, too.....Stone is behind Geddy. Who is the other guy doing most of the drumming???

View attachment 577387

Tim Alexander from Primus is the other drummer. Great player, has the funk, but has the prog rock/double bass chops too. I would much rather hear him with Rush than Portnoy. I'd rather hear ME with Rush, but that's a whole other story.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw Primus open for Rush a few years ago here in Indy, it was a night to remember.
I was so bummed to miss that tour. I didn't miss more than a few Rush tours from 1983 until 2015, but that was unfortunately one of them. I was gigging, so at least it was for a good reason.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim Alexander from Primus is the other drummer. Great player, has the funk, but has the prog rock/double bass chops too. I would much rather hear him with Rush than Portnoy. I'd rather hear ME with Rush, but that's a whole other story.
I always thought that Herb would be the best replacement for Neil if they ever decided to go down that road. MP not so much.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Primus open for Rush a few years ago here in Indy, it was a night to remember.
Years and years and years ago the Dixie Dregs opened for Rush. Rod Morgenstein did an insane double bass shuffle solo that blew everyone away. Suddenly I realized - wow - there were other humans who could play at Neil’s level. I wonder whatever happened to Rod.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Years and years and years ago the Dixie Dregs opened for Rush. Rod Morgenstein did an insane double bass shuffle solo that blew everyone away. Suddenly I realized - wow - there were other humans who could play at Neil’s level. I wonder whatever happened to Rod.
Berklee instructor and still gigs with Winger when they tour.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Danny Carey was seen in the crowd too, at that show. (Although I heard there were two nights, so who knows which night he was at) ..
Anyway it would be REALLY cool to see DC on stage with lerxst and Geddy

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hope that if Geddy and Alex do start doing stuff on the regular again, they call it Rush and milk that gravy train as long as they can. Makes no sense to call it something different only to play theaters when you could play stadiums and arenas. That’s why I don’t begrudge Pete and Roger calling their band The Who.

As for the drummer, Herb probably is the closest in spirit to Neil. I don’t know how good DC or Rod are with mallet percussion, but I think Herb’s mallet skill set is at least on par with Neil. Personally I thought Primus’ best drummer was Brain, but not the first guy I’d ask to play in Rush.

Life is short, and it’s for the living. Capitalize!

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Carey was seen in the crowd too, at that show. (Although I heard there were two nights, so who knows which night he was at) ..
Anyway it would be REALLY cool to see DC on stage with lerxst and Geddy
Yes!
For me the list would be, in order
Herb
Danny Carey
Simon Phillips
Rod Morgenstein
Todd Sucherman

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes!
For me the list would be, in order
Herb
Danny Carey
Simon Phillips
Rod Morgenstein
Todd Sucherman
I think all of them could excel at playing Rush. But I think your list is how I’d rank them, too.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so bummed to miss that tour. I didn't miss more than a few Rush tours from 1983 until 2015, but that was unfortunately one of them. I was gigging, so at least it was for a good reason.
Me too! I think Primus opened for Rush on the 1994 tour; I was playing a gig that night. A few of my friends went and told me me that both bands were great.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, since the topic of Alex and Geddy performing as Rush with a new drummer, unlikely as it may be, has been broached...

Hypothetically, if the decision was yours, would you demand that a new drummer play Neil's parts note for note?

My nostalgic side would insist that the drummer stick to the parts, note for note, but a more evolved part of me (having seen Rush north of 20 times) would be interested in hearing the tunes played with a looser, less rigid feel and interpreted with a more improvisational approach; at the very least, in terms of fills and solos.

Here's a sample scenario I can get behind:
Geddy and Alex get together with, let's just say, Tim Alexander, and write and record an album's worth of material. Call it Lee-Lifeson-Alexander, go on tour playing mostly Rush tunes, and sprinkle in a couple of the new original (obviously Rush-oriented) tunes. I'd go see that tour, and I'm sure my Rush freak friends would, too.

Here's a quick cattle call list in no particular order (well, maybe a little).
  • Tim Alexander
  • Simon Phillips
  • Deen Castronovo
  • Steve Smith
  • Gavin Harrison
  • Keith Carlock (He was a huge Neil fan and would KILL the gig. If allowed, he could bring a unique new feel to the table)
Anyway, fun to think about, but I don't think Geddy and Alex would use the name "Rush" without Neil.