header.nohb.html

Alex and Geddy with Matt Stone on drums

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
You’re certainly not the only one, but I don’t agree even a little. Nothing disrespectful about wanting to play music with your friends, nothing particularly honorable about breaking up because one of your friends in your band dies, at least to me. On the other hand, it won’t bother me either way. They’re senior citizens now, and they owe nothing to anyone. And I’m sure tickets will cost so much that I’d never go anyway.
Would it be disrespectful for a Widow to be “playing” with other dudes so soon after her husband of 40-plus years died. Yes it would.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would it be disrespectful for a Widow to be “playing” with other dudes so soon after her husband of 40-plus years died. Yes it would.
First, it’s none of my business what either of them do. Second, it’s been 2 1/2 years, and anyone who begrudges a widow some fun in the sack after that long has major issues. Third, neither the Stones nor ZZ Top took a single gig off when Charlie and Dusty died and only whiners with no lives object.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
First, it’s none of my business what either of them do. Second, it’s been 2 1/2 years, and anyone who begrudges a widow some fun in the sack after that long has major issues. Third, neither the Stones nor ZZ Top took a single gig off when Charlie and Dusty died and only whiners with no lives object.
There have been other bands that have cancelled concert tours when a member dies.
Foo Fighters come to mind.

I would hate to have you in my band.
Just sayin'.....

Last edited:

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would much rather see an unknown take the reins. No disrespect to all of the drummers noted in the thread, but give a Killer-Unknown a shot.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There have been other bands that have cancelled concert tours when a member dies.
Foo Fighters come to mind.

I would hate to have you in my band.
Just sayin'.....
I wasn’t asking, was I? And no, you would absolutely love me in your band.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
As I heavy hard fan of Rush, see the boys, made me get some tears...

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years and years and years ago the Dixie Dregs opened for Rush. Rod Morgenstein did an insane double bass shuffle solo that blew everyone away. Suddenly I realized - wow - there were other humans who could play at Neil’s level. I wonder whatever happened to Rod.
I saw Rush’s Power Windows tour and the Steve Morse Band opened for them. Rod was playing drums - his solo completely blew me away. Jaw dropping double bass work and just the craziest chops - complete monster.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Rush’s Power Windows tour and the Steve Morse Band opened for them. Rod was playing drums - his solo completely blew me away. Jaw dropping double bass work and just the craziest chops - complete monster.
That was it!! Not the Dregs, my mistake, it was the Steve Morse band, I saw the same tour that you did. Absolutely mind blowing chops.

I remember thinking he was the left handed version of Simon Phillips.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope, and I'm just a fan throwing pennies in a wishing well here, that if they tour again they do so with some new songs and a drummer capable of helping them play back catalog stuff. And that they don't use "Rush" - fwiw they've said that they'd never use that name again, so I don't need to lose any sleep here.

Also, hats off to Alex for putting out a new album of new stuff that isn't indebted to what he's done previously. I hope I'm as creative and drive as him when I'm his age. (And I'll never break new ground like he did - dude is pantheon level)

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
I missed that Rush / Primus tour ( Roll the Bones? ) for reasons I can neither recall nor explain. I was a hugely into Primus at the time, while my Rush interest was waning.

I saw Primus open for Rush on the Counterparts tour, 1994.

Roll The Bones Tour had Eric Johnson opening when I saw them in '92....

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw Primus open for Rush on the Counterparts tour, 1994.

Roll The Bones Tour had Eric Johnson opening when I saw them in '92....

When I saw Rush on the Counterparts tour, the opener was Candlebox. Primus was with them the previous tour I didn't make.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel cheated. You all got to see Rush with great opening acts, and who did I get with my only Rush concert? Saxon.

Polska

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if nobody's said it yet, I'd like to let Matt Stone know that he sucked.

Kind of harsh I'd say. I watched the video and he didn't do much more than keep straight time, but there was a second drummer too so not much more was needed.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel cheated. You all got to see Rush with great opening acts, and who did I get with my only Rush concert? Saxon.
I got cheated as well , I had to endure BOC and The Tommy Shaw band ….