Alex Van Halen Regal Tip.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking searching seeking for months now Regal Tip Alex Halen drum sticks.Not even Regal Tip themselves have any! :(,
Any ideas suggestions?.
Regal Tip is apparently still under the retooling of the factory. Seems like they've moved to direct sales vs. selling through dealers. It seems that those specific sticks are impossible to find. Since that's the case, I'd look for something comparable from another brand for now. And if Regal Tip goes back to normal production, who knows what models they will be making. The issue I see is the diameter & length of that stick. I don't see any manufactures making anything in that size combination. I'd ask DFO member Murat for advice. I recall someone a couple of months ago also asking for those sticks.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Rich of Rich Custom Drumsticks could reproduce the AVH for you if your provide a sample stick. He is currently making Bob Gatzen/Billy Martin stick for myself and some forum members .

jakup_martini

Reaction score
Hello all, I too have been playing on the Regal Tip Alex Van Halen sticks for over 3 decades and just can't find another stick that is that size. Something about it just works great for me (or I'm used to being a weirdo and now I can't go back to normal!). It's extremely long at 17.75 inches but slightly smaller than a 5B to make it faster at that length. If you really hit the drums hard this is a stick for you.

A couple updates: Both the recommendation in this thread and any other custom drumstick makers I've found have shuttered their business or only "print" on the sticks rather than make any custom sizes. There's a company called XCEL that makes two pairs that are CLOSE to this size, a little thicker (one has no taper and is wild to play with lol)... I added a photo comparison***

I bought one of the last pairs I could find on eBay for $118 (the other set is on sale for $300 and considering it)

Currently looking into buying a drumstick factory. No joke...

If I find any more that are close to the stick I'll update the forum here!

Attachments

• Image from iOS (5).jpg
    Image from iOS (5).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27

Ajbambino

Reaction score
My stick guy (LAR Sticks by Leroy Rhodes) makes the best freaking sticks ever!

He was recommended by another member on this forum and I legit can't imagine going back to a regular stick manufacturer.

He makes 19" sticks for me, but he can definitely make you a 17.75" 5B stick if you want. That and anything & everything in between (change the tip, shoulder, butt end, diameter, taper, length, type of wood, etc.).

Legit best dude ever! Let me know if you want his email and I can forward it your way

Ludwig26

Reaction score
I actually acquired bought obtained purchased a pair from a DFO member,
Like&love to find an equivalent in AHEAD aluminum drum sticks,
Now just gotta find me some Michael Lee (Page&Plant) model drum sticks.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I actually acquired bought obtained purchased a pair from a DFO member,
Like&love to find an equivalent in AHEAD aluminum drum sticks,
Now just gotta find me some Michael Lee (Page&Plant) model drum sticks.
Niiiiiiiiiice!

Have you ever come across an old promucco drumstick that Bonham used?

I heard the newer ones are to spec but can't confirm

jakup_martini

Reaction score
My stick guy (LAR Sticks by Leroy Rhodes) makes the best freaking sticks ever!

He was recommended by another member on this forum and I legit can't imagine going back to a regular stick manufacturer.

He makes 19" sticks for me, but he can definitely make you a 17.75" 5B stick if you want. That and anything & everything in between (change the tip, shoulder, butt end, diameter, taper, length, type of wood, etc.).

Legit best dude ever! Let me know if you want his email and I can forward it your way
I would absolutely love to contact them! Please forward the info and I'll reach out. And thank you!

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Haha love the profile pic

His name is Leroy and he's awesome!!! Tell him A.J. sent ya and he'll take care of you (he would anyways, but I always like pretending I got pull)

[email protected]
I saw someone ask this but can't find the comment on here - but yeah, he uses select hickory but can use any type of wood you want. He's done rosewood and exotic woods also, but for me.....that select hickory has got the special mojo working for it

Durable as all hell and lasts me 2-4x any other stick manufacturers out there (and I've tried all of em - before him I was with vater using their nightsticks and 3S sticks) - but his was just awesome.

But yeah again, he uses any wood you want he just might have to order it depending on what kind you want/how exotic you want it.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going through some gear and ran across 5 1/2 pairs of Regal Tip Alex Van Halen sticks. I've probably had them for 10+ years. Got them with a drum kit I bought and just tucked them away because they aren't what I use. 4 1/2 pairs are new and 1 pair is slightly used. If anyone is interested, make me an offer.

Alex Van Halen drumsticks.JPG

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of the AVH regal tips in a stick bag in the garage... Used to be my favorite stick when I was younger and hit much harder...

jakup_martini

Reaction score
I was going through some gear and ran across 5 1/2 pairs of Regal Tip Alex Van Halen sticks. I've probably had them for 10+ years. Got them with a drum kit I bought and just tucked them away because they aren't what I use. 4 1/2 pairs are new and 1 pair is slightly used. If anyone is interested, make me an offer.

View attachment 537530
I'd love to grab them if you still got 'em!