All about jazz with some pure gold about rhythm

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you aren't interested in jazz fast forward to 9:37 and listen for nearly five minutes (until 14:30). That short snippet packs a lot of information that many of us take for granted, but never stop to ponder why.

Of course, if you do decide to watch the whole thing and it left you wanting, here is the second part. Although it is ostensibly about jazz, it's really about music in general using jazz as the vehicle for illustrating concepts:

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was played to us when I was in grade school at some point. I love his whole attitude in it as an enthusiastically supportive outsider. I feel that that attitude is so important, for most of us, to really learning and appreciating. That is, maybe, unless you grew up surrounded by a community of musicians in the style you continue in.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Enthusiastically supportive outsider" - I think that describes Leonard Bernstein perfectly! He loved jazz, was fascinated by it, studied it, wrote music that was heavily influenced by it, but I don't think that even after all that, he would have felt comfortable being called, or considering himself, a jazz musician. Not out of a lack of ability, but out of respect. (I could be all wrong about this!)

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Enthusiastically supportive outsider" - I think that describes Leonard Bernstein perfectly! He loved jazz, was fascinated by it, studied it, wrote music that was heavily influenced by it, but I don't think that even after all that, he would have felt comfortable being called, or considering himself, a jazz musician. Not out of a lack of ability, but out of respect. (I could be all wrong about this!)
(Vids are "unavailable").... anyway...
There are some other examples of this in the book The Rest is Noise by Alex Ross. It's more about 20th century classical and "new" music with some "jazz" references from Edgard Varese, Charles Ives, et al
bt