All American Drummer?

tim481

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have noticed Wilcoxon’s All American Drummer is becoming really hard to find? My local stores are out, Amazon is out, and it doesn’t appear on the Ludwig Master’s catalog. Anyone know what’s going on? This is a staple of my teaching and don’t know what to do if my students can’t find it. Thanks!

Vicegrips

Reaction score
Wow! One listing on Amazon at $103.99? The 1945 book? That's over a buck a page. If I were in need of such a book, and it was not available, I'd be tempted to use one of the many scan-to-pdf copies on the net, like the ones at archive.org. I'm not familiar with the book, but the pdf I saw looked complete and readable.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is odd for such a classic.
Even at a very knowledgeable German percussion sheet musc site it's "temporarily not available".

pgm554

Reaction score
Probably no demand as it is quite easily found out on the net as a pdf for free.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
…. Just wondering if any of you have noticed Wilcoxon’s All American Drummer is becoming really hard to find? My local stores are out, Amazon is out, and it doesn’t appear on the Ludwig Master’s catalog. Anyone know what’s going on? This is a staple of my teaching and don’t know what to do if my students can’t find it. Thanks!

I'm a little late to the party here, but if you want a legit copy try Pro Drum, they've really got a great selection of books. Also if you do find it harder to come by, have your thought of doing a bulk purchase to have the book on hand and then selling directly to your students?
Pro Drum link: http://prodrumshop.com/the-all-american-drummer/

RhythmGJ

Reaction score
Yeah, if you can’t find them (great book!), and it goes permanently out of print, I think it’s fair game to copy and hand out or send them to the web.

That happened with a snare book I used to use; I haven’t been private teaching in quite awhile, but the idea above (to buy stock for resale if you can find it) sounds good.

GJ

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Wow! One listing on Amazon at $103.99? The 1945 book? That's over a buck a page. If I were in need of such a book, and it was not available, I'd be tempted to use one of the many scan-to-pdf copies on the net, like the ones at archive.org. I'm not familiar with the book, but the pdf I saw looked complete and readable.
It doesn't appear that you can download documents from that site.

Vicegrips

Reaction score
It doesn't appear that you can download documents from that site.
Gosh, I'm not sure. I used this url: https://ia800804.us.archive.org/3/items/CharleyWilcoxonTheAllAmericanDrummer150RudimentalSolos/Charley Wilcoxon - The All American Drummer - 150 Rudimental Solos.pdf

to look at the entire document. I didn't bother to save it myself, as I'm studying using other materials. But the little "download" button at the top was there, and right clicking offers "save as", so I'm reasonably sure it's possible. YMMV, of course.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes also Modern Rudimental Swing Solos has been ou of print. I havent investigated why this is but my stuDents have not been able to order either.

RhythmGJ

Reaction score
Wow! Just looked up the Wilcoxon books on Amazon; those used prices are insane! At least the Ted Reed book is still available, and it seems like used are going for $5-$7.

GJ

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Gosh, I'm not sure. I used this url: https://ia800804.us.archive.org/3/items/CharleyWilcoxonTheAllAmericanDrummer150RudimentalSolos/Charley Wilcoxon - The All American Drummer - 150 Rudimental Solos.pdf

to look at the entire document. I didn't bother to save it myself, as I'm studying using other materials. But the little "download" button at the top was there, and right clicking offers "save as", so I'm reasonably sure it's possible. YMMV, of course.
Sorry, I don't see a download button from that link. Oddly, I do see an "upload" button from this link to the same publication on the same website: https://archive.org/details/CharleyWilcoxonTheAllAmericanDrummer150RudimentalSolos/mode/1up

Vicegrips

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't see a download button from that link. Oddly, I do see an "upload" button from this link to the same publication on the same website: https://archive.org/details/CharleyWilcoxonTheAllAmericanDrummer150RudimentalSolos/mode/1up
Like I said, YMMV. I went to your link. At the bottom right I found a box labelled "Download Options". The entry marked "pdf" is the one that takes you to where I found the document in a save-able form. I right clicked, saved as, and then opened the resulting .pdf file locally on my laptop. Seems ok on my system. The .pdf on my system is about 5.4 mb. Sorry, I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. I would be grateful to hear if you discover what the issue turns out to be.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Like I said, YMMV. I went to your link. At the bottom right I found a box labelled "Download Options". The entry marked "pdf" is the one that takes you to where I found the document in a save-able form. I right clicked, saved as, and then opened the resulting .pdf file locally on my laptop. Seems ok on my system. The .pdf on my system is about 5.4 mb. Sorry, I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. I would be grateful to hear if you discover what the issue turns out to be.
Thanks for the walk through. It worked.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts