All in on Mandolin

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In guitar circles I find that I'm filling in higher pitched off beat patterns because that's what fits. It suddenly occurred to me that this is the quintessential role for the mandoiln, in bluegrass in particular. Having been a poor to mediocre guitarist for some time, the idea of something fresh and different where I didn't already have bad habits attracted me. Lastly I came across a mandolin match for my beloved OP-20SWM Olympia (Tacoma) parlor guitar.

I have signed up for a four day, three night mandolin camp and am completely obsessed.

Reaction score
That’s a great looking mando! I have considered picking one up the last few years but haven’t been able to get out of the guitarist role of my casual jam group.
How are you adapting so far? With the inverse tuning I of bottom 4 strings I assume there is some translation. Then again, neck scale and strum patterns are completely different.
Good luck! Look up some Punch Brothers if you haven’t already - Chris Thile is a helluva player.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it will be a while until it clicks. Here's the whole Tacoma Guitar family: JM16CE Jumbo, OP20-SW parlor, OM6-SW mandolin. The parlor is serial # 00001 and the mandolin is serial # 0002.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Good looking mando. I had an Eastman that I really loved, but it wasn't getting played and I cut it loose. Maybe one day I'll buy another. Totally sold on Eastmans for mandolin.

Reaction score
I think it will be a while until it clicks. Here's the whole Tacoma Guitar family: JM16CE Jumbo, OP20-SW parlor, OM6-SW mandolin. The parlor is serial # 00001 and the mandolin is serial # 0002.
Really sharp Tacomas - the bound bodies and necks look great. Which of the guitars do you find yourself playing more? Im loyal to a full size Taylor dreadnought but my friend swears by his parlor.

Latest posts