All set?

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone keep a kit and hardware in cases by the door just in case you get that last minute call?
Or is that just wishful thinking?

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a kit bagged up, I guess it could be ready to go, it's not because I'm ready for that last minute call, it's because my bride will only allow one kit in the Family Room at a time. I keep trying, so far no luck.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do and have for years. It is stacked in the front hall, hardware bag in the garage along with the throne.
I can be loaded and gone in a few minutes. It has come in handy a few times let me tell you.

I got my current Big Band gig because I could get to a rehearsal before another player could. They liked how I played and gave me the gig.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was active I always had a kit with hardware cymbals and cases ready to go.Made life a lot easier,especially when I got the occasional last minute sub call.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually stay with the same kit all the time. Unless we play somewhere really small then I bring out a smaller kit but the hardware stays the same. Hardware consist of three dw 9000 cymbal stands all cut down to bring them lower. 2 dw 9000 snare stands. The bottom of a dw9000 cymbal stand to hold my drum machine, cowbell, and tambo. A dw 9000 single pedal and a dw 5000 hi hat stand. Some times I’ll bring a extra cymbal stand. Very rarely. That and my kit stay in a large fight case usually in the trailer unless I’m gonna switch heads, swap kits out or work on stuff. For smaller shows I just bring a kit in my van and use my hardware from my other kit. I keep double the hardware at home on my practice kit.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardware (cymbal, snare and hihat stand(s) One set of; stays as home set -set up
Gig set of hardware (2 cymbal, 1 snare and 1 hi hat stand(s) (not xx bass drum pedal) stays bagged.
I may steal away 1 cym stand from home 'stand' set if bringing a 3 cymbal which is usually a WOT
(waste of time)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a vintage Ludwig "gig kit" in 12/15/20 in bags in the garage, my hardware bag, and my gigging cymbal bag. IF I get the call, it's these 5 bags loaded quickly. The real agony is which snare????? Normally a 6.5x14 BB (used last gig in April) but I fortunately have a small collection that makes my head spin.....

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The most last minute I've ever experienced was like 8 hours before, so no. Packing a kit doesn't take that much longer than changing clothes.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one kit in the studio and do gigs only if there is a kit.

I don’t play much, nor do I wish to play much.

A choice, just like have 2x the toms compared to my cymbals.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a home set that never moves, and a shell bank of seven toms and two bass drums that stay in their bags in the garage, along with various hardware bags for different configurations. I can load right into the car, and be ready to go in five minutes.

It doesn't happen often, but being able to move quickly has come in handy more than once. I've been called to play with bands that were already on stage with no drummer coming. I was effusively welcomed.

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
yes. one in garage or car at all times, one in basement for practicing/recording/rehearsing