header.nohb.html

All time favorite drummer and why- you can only pick one!!

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it's Danny Carey. even before I had touched a drum kit he was mesmerizing me with his polyrhythms and musical playing.
And he’s from Kansas and it looks like you’re from there too so you guys have that in common. He’s one of my favorites too but I could never pick a favorite honestly.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony.
He was a true jazz drummer and also had this rock edge that I don’t think anyone else had at the time or to his level. He could go from super light jazz to super busy jazz to Bonham style solo madness and then back again.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard to pick one. There are other drummers that I strive to be like (Jim Keltner) or am inspired by the way they play (Levon Helm). But for me, it has to be Russ Kunkel. I have listened to and played along with Russ more than I have with any other drummer. The way he plays is iconic to me and I love the albums he has played on and if I could have played some of his gigs, I'd die happy. Russ Kunkel is my answer.

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
And he’s from Kansas and it looks like you’re from there too so you guys have that in common. He’s one of my favorites too but I could never pick a favorite honestly.
That's true, but I only learned that long after I had fell in love with his playing! Just seals the deal I guess. What, you can't pick a favorite..? Well who inspires you the most??

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's true, but I only learned that long after I had fell in love with his playing! Just seals the deal I guess. What, you can't pick a favorite..? Well who inspires you the most??
Cool. Never seen Tool live but I saw Danny at the NAMM show like 20 years ago talking to some other famous drummer. I can’t pick a favorite because it changes every month. This month it’s Bernard Purdie.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drummer I'm most inspired by, the one whose playing always surprises me, and the one whose playing I most enjoy listening to is Buddy Rich. Everybody else is a distant second.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I'll 2nd VintageUSA - Ian Paice. I can listen to "The Mule" over & over, and wish I could play half that great.

Loud

Reaction score
Since you said “favorite” rather than “best,” I would say Benny Greb. He teaches lots of concepts that I continue to use. He’s an excellent drummer of course but I get more learning out of his materials than many of the “best” drummers.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you said “favorite” rather than “best,” I would say Benny Greb. He teaches lots of concepts that I continue to use. He’s an excellent drummer of course but I get more learning out of his materials than many of the “best” drummers.
He’s one of my faves too.