All time favorite drummer and why- you can only pick one!!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Like everyone I have a lot of favorites, but I guess my all-time favorite would be Pat Mastelotto. His playing with David Sylvian, King Crimson and especially Stick Men is a constant inspiration for me. Electronics, acoustics, little percussion toys, multiple odd time signatures or simple grooves - to me he covers all the bases. He's also very diverse with his recording projects and I stay on top of all of them. A player who can adapt is a player who has a long career.

Don‘t forget his playing on XTC’s Oranges and Lemons.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
KEITH MOON

misunderstood
underrated
overated

This guy PLAYED the song.. up until he just didnt have the ability to do it any longer (see POST Quadrophenia)

Keith listend
He colored
He was free
He wa unique
He was musical
He was proficient
He was at his best playing music
He smiled when he played. It make his soul soar

Because this!!!!

The single greatest live performance of any band ever IMHO

Could he play with any other band than The Who...no.
but what he did..he did perfectly

anyone who says he wasn't musical and played for the tune, doesn't have enough education, experience or time under their belt.

and BECAUSE, THIS

Last edited:

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paul Motian. The first time I heard Paul was on Keith Jarrett’s “Fort Yawuh” album. After listening to the first song I was hooked. I have admired many other drummers technique and such, but Paul was different. He was an artist. He played like a painter creating a masterpiece. And on top of all that he seemed like such a cool guy as well!

Attachments

• FC3EEFDB-9F7A-4BA8-88E0-AF2ED4C7034D.jpeg
    FC3EEFDB-9F7A-4BA8-88E0-AF2ED4C7034D.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 9

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaki Liebezeit.

He's most well known for playing with Can in the 70s, but this video is a great example of how he changed his style drastically later in life, but is still instantly recognizable as a player.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a regular brush player I have to go with Clayton Cameron. His playing takes the art of brushes to a new level. I am talking of his technique rather than his playing within a band setting - but he shines there too. Jeff Hamilton would be firm second.

BoomBoom

Reaction score
Billy Cobham.

The first time I heard him was in a record store. They were playing his new album, Total Eclipse. Was blown away and bought it on the spot. I still have it and got it autographed the first time I saw him live.

I love his rudimental approach. He plays a lot of notes,sure, but it all fits perfect. I love the way his drums sound. Once after a concert of his I asked him, how do you get that toms sound, is it the heads, the sticks, something else? He told me you don't get the sound by hitting the drum, you pull the sound out of the drum. He pulls out a cool sound.

One other thing I really admire about him is he composes almost all the songs he plays. Including all the songs on Spectrum including my favorite, "Red Baron".

I've seen him 4 times. More than anyone else. Next time he comes to town, I'm going.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My all-time favorite drummer is Me...
...as a learner who admires drummers
who are much more talented and
skillful than I am.
I'm enjoying this musical lesson
baby steps at a time.

The progress of Learning is both
challenging AND rewarding.
It could take me a few days, or years,
to master a simple drum chop;
but I always have the need to learn
new ideas that I can use for helping
my band to sound good.
I don't wanna reach the "top"...
...I want to continue Climbing.

I always place myself in the Student's
chair, listening to and watching other
drummers at shows and concerts...
...if a drummer on stage makes
occasional eye-contact with me
while deep in his or her groove trance
I take it as though said drummer
is teaching me lessons on what he
or she is doing on the drum kit.
That connection is made, and I'm
being schooled.

I take that lesson home and practice
until I get it right, or it creates newer
ideas and pathways.

When other drummers are watching
and listening to me, I try to pass that
same vibe to them.
Their good feedback lets me know
that I've passed the torch forward.
In either direction, there is beauty
in learning many new ways to drum.

Music is a heritage that must always
be shared and cherished.
I'm wonderstruck by it. I can't say enough
Thank Yous to all the drummers who
amaze me with their talent and skills.
I'm so happy to be a part of this
exchange of our musical heritage
as a drummer, just like any drummer.
And the learning continues.

Rivot

Reaction score
Billy Cobham.

The first time I heard him was in a record store. They were playing his new album, Total Eclipse. Was blown away and bought it on the spot. I still have it and got it autographed the first time I saw him live.

I love his rudimental approach. He plays a lot of notes,sure, but it all fits perfect. I love the way his drums sound. Once after a concert of his I asked him, how do you get that toms sound, is it the heads, the sticks, something else? He told me you don't get the sound by hitting the drum, you pull the sound out of the drum. He pulls out a cool sound.

One other thing I really admire about him is he composes almost all the songs he plays. Including all the songs on Spectrum including my favorite, "Red Baron".

I've seen him 4 times. More than anyone else. Next time he comes to town, I'm going.
Only seen Billy Cobham in one gig here in Australia I'll never forget absolutely fantastic.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I hugely admire many players for many different reasons, all the usual suspects (many already mentioned) and more. But my all time favourite, just a nose in front of the others is Alex Van Halen.

Although well aware of them beforehand, I really got into Van Halen in the mid eighties, for some reason after seeing the hamburger scene in the movie Better Off Dead and AVH's drum parts always just grabbed me, totally cool and perfect for their music.