header.nohb.html

All time favorite drummer and why- you can only pick one!!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neil.
There are better technicians, better groove players, better pocket players, etc.
But his structures so fit the songs without ever being too repetitive, or too complex, or too basic.
He made the complicated look and sound simple, and the simple sound rich and dynamic. I still can’t play the majority of his work, yet I know where every single note is.
Plus he was the lyricist and I admire that as much as his drumming.
Add to that the way he lived his life keeping things in perspective, walking that line between revered and humble, between famous and obscure. Just so sound in so many ways.
What I wanted to say , perfect .

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Seraphine - original drummer for the band Chicago has always been my favourite drummer . He was in a band that I loved . I was fortunate to have met him twice and he was so personable and kind. It is a great thing when your hero lives up to your expectations .
3636D964-0B97-414F-9D25-1930694C5FB9.jpeg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My tastes are all over the place but the one guy I never get tired of is Steve Smith.
Love his solos and grooves. Love him playing, rock, jazz, country (yeah he recorded with Ray Price) he can do it all and does it graciously. Seems like a cool dude too!
Never have met him but he'd be one of the few I'd have to get a picture with and ask for his autograph.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tastes are all over the place but the one guy I never get tired of is Steve Smith.
Love his solos and grooves. Love him playing, rock, jazz, country (yeah he recorded with Ray Price) he can do it all and does it graciously. Seems like a cool dude too!
Never have met him but he'd be one of the few I'd have to get a picture with and ask for his autograph.
I met Steve at the Chicago Vintage Drum Show a number of years ago . He is a really nice guy , we had a nice discussion about ride cymbals for Big Band playing .
88DE7FF3-400A-4258-81A1-2A1A3EB351CE.jpeg

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Danny Seraphine - original drummer for the band Chicago has always been my favourite drummer . He was in a band that I loved . I was fortunate to have met him twice and he was so personable and kind. It is a great thing when your hero lives up to your expectations . View attachment 568670
Great musician! A pioneer of jazz/rock fusion with an emphasis on rock! One of my favs!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I had to pick one, and only one, Philly Joe Jones. He is the first drummer I really listened to, and his groove and phrasing just spoke to me, and stuck to me. It didn’t hurt that it was in the context of Miles Davis, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and John Coltrane. That band was pure magic. I can’t say how many times I listened to Workin’ and Steamin’.

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neil.
There are better technicians, better groove players, better pocket players, etc.
But his structures so fit the songs without ever being too repetitive, or too complex, or too basic.
He made the complicated look and sound simple, and the simple sound rich and dynamic. I still can’t play the majority of his work, yet I know where every single note is.
Plus he was the lyricist and I admire that as much as his drumming.
Add to that the way he lived his life keeping things in perspective, walking that line between revered and humble, between famous and obscure. Just so sound in so many ways.
Couldn’t of said it better myself. I will only add that his kits were a huge inspiration for me and many.

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
Cool, some names I had never heard before! I'll be doing some research later after work :headbang: And I know it's difficult to pick just one, but that's what makes it fun!

Given the length of some of your responses, you have made me think I'll have to come up with a more developed reason for my favorite. Because it really is hard to pick just one!

Last edited:

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difficult to pick one for sure…I guess if I had too:
First drum lesson as a young teen, old Jazz cat drum teacher and I are talking about music and of course I tell him some of my favorite bands and drummers, Led Zeppelin/Bonham, etc.
After I blurt out several rock bands/drummers, he says hey man thats really great but check out some of these cats, he puts on Billy Cobham Stratus…I was floored. Then Lenny with Chic/RTF and Airto…etc.

So…another vote for Billy Cobham, especially since I have seen in in NYC clubs so many times and each show was amazing!

1A0EB989-BEB5-4BC6-9A46-10E857CBB2BB.jpeg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
It really is impossible to pick one as I have taken so many things from so many drummers over the years. Without question though, Alex Van Halen is my guy. I discovered VH when I started playing drums in 1982 and his sense of swing and groove just got right to me. His sound may not be everyone's cup of tea but I absolutely love it. I loved all of it including the Simmons phase. There is no mistaking that sound. I saw VH in 1986 for the first time when I was 15 and it changed my life. It sounds so silly but I just couldn't believe that I was in the same room with those guys. They played a hell of a show too.

I have to mention John Densmore as he is the one that really made me take notice of how weak my left hand was. It really forced me to work on getting my jazz chops happening. He also turned me on to the four piece set as I love that set up with a rail and cymbal off the bass drum.

Lastly I really love Stephen Jo Bladd from the J Geils Band. I grew up in NH and since the J Geils Band are a Boston band, I heard them all the time when I was growing up. His sound is probably not my thing but I anytime I hear those guys it puts a smile on my face. They were an amazing live band and they always looked like they were having an absolute blast up there. I really wish I knew what happened to him as he seemed to disappear after 1985. I would just love to say thanks to him in person some day.

Again it's so hard to pick out drummers like this as I got into jazz during my junior year of high school and of course love Buddy, Art, Max and Elvin. Just too many of those guys to list.

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KEITH MOON

misunderstood
underrated
overated

This guy PLAYED the song.. up until he just didnt have the ability to do it any longer (see POST Quadrophenia)

Keith listend
He colored
He was free
He wa unique
He was musical
He was proficient
He was at his best playing music
He smiled when he played. It make his soul soar

Because this!!!!

The single greatest live performance of any band ever IMHO

Could he play with any other band than The Who...no.
but what he did..he did perfectly

anyone who says he wasn't musical and played for the tune, doesn't have enough education, experience or time under their belt.

and BECAUSE, THIS
Love this post. He was one of a kind. He was also perfect for The Who.

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Seraphine - original drummer for the band Chicago has always been my favourite drummer . He was in a band that I loved . I was fortunate to have met him twice and he was so personable and kind. It is a great thing when your hero lives up to your expectations . View attachment 568670
My struggle to choose just one was between Jeff Porcaro and Danny. Both great in different ways. Danny's playing on his new CTA stuff is just as inspiring as his years with Chicago.

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I’ll pick a drummer from a different generation than most. The Rev. Huge influence for me growing up. Avenged Sevenfold has never hit quite the same since his passing.