All time favorite drummer and why- you can only pick one!!

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
KEITH MOON

misunderstood
underrated
overated

This guy PLAYED the song.. up until he just didnt have the ability to do it any longer (see POST Quadrophenia)

Keith listend
He colored
He was free
He wa unique
He was musical
He was proficient
He was at his best playing music
He smiled when he played. It make his soul soar

Because this!!!!

The single greatest live performance of any band ever IMHO

Could he play with any other band than The Who...no.
but what he did..he did perfectly

anyone who says he wasn't musical and played for the tune, doesn't have enough education, experience or time under their belt.

and BECAUSE, THIS
I always liked Keith, he was perfect for The Who...but he had so much useless motion in his drumming...it always bothered me. Either way, dude is a stud and will be a fave of mine.

F

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
Simon Phillips.

From the first time I heard the JP "Sin After Sin" album, this guy de-throned everybody else for me.
I really was struck by his musicality, and just loved his contributions he made to other artists.
And "that" drum sound!!! I feel like a little school-girl with a crush at times ;-)

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bonham, and he always will be. Incredible touch, masterful use of space in both timekeeping and fills. There's nothing he laid down that didn't sound both perfectly thought out and completely free-flowing. Everything about his playing resonates with my very being.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
This is a tough one. In my youth, I would definitely rate drummers, and would be adamant that this drummer is way better than that one, etc.., as kids are apt to do. I look at things quite differently these days. That said, I'd have to say that the drummer who is most inspiring to me at this very moment is Art Blakey. I could listen to his playing for hours and hours. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing today (on vacation)!

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My longest, deepest, and biggest fan-boy obsession was with Neil Peart. He was my biggest inspiration and during my teen years, my biggest influence. His influence on my playing began to wane in my early 20's, gradually disappearing altogether.

Gun to my head, Dennis Chambers is my all-time favorite. Current favorite is Nate Smith or Chris Dave.

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ian Paice.
He is the reason why I began playing drums. First song I heard by Deep Purple was Child in time. I had never heard anything like it before, but I was only 10 years. The drumming made a deep impact on me. I wanted to play music like that, and on drums.
Never played music like that and never became near as good as Ian Paice, but have had lot of fun playing the drums.

Last edited:

TomC727

Reaction score
Well, I’ll pick a drummer from a different generation than most. The Rev. Huge influence for me growing up. Avenged Sevenfold has never hit quite the same since his passing.
Though I never saw The Rev play live, his replacement, Brooks Wackerman, was one of the finest drummers I’ve ever seen play live. His playing was effortless, along with A7X as a group.

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
Cool. Never seen Tool live but I saw Danny at the NAMM show like 20 years ago talking to some other famous drummer. I can’t pick a favorite because it changes every month. This month it’s Bernard Purdie.
I know this is late I had meant to reply sooner. I've seen Tool live twice, both times were insane lol. But yes, Bernard Purdie is the man, I love everything he does have you seen this mashup by vulfpeck?

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bonham. Amazing player and what a great band!
Bonham was definitely my favorite growing up. It seems that a lot of my favorite drummers since then have all kind of had a Bonhamism in their playing. For instance, when I got into funk music in high school I really got into stanton moore and if you listen to some of the Galactic albums from early on and even more recent ones you can hear Bonham in his playing. And also Elvin Jones for Jazz because of the way he smacked those cymbals.