Alternate to real skin head

cmrocco

Reaction score
I have some leftover drum shell parts, a couple of 14" x 3-4" deep shells that are leftover from cutting down a shell. I want to make a shaman drum like the photo attached with them. However, as a vegan, I am hoping to find an alternative to the skin head that I could wrap the same way.

Attachments

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There really aren't any vegan products that have all the unique qualities of rawhide in terms of stretching and molding with just water and air, drying into a resonant surface. Best bet I can think of would be to forego the primitive look, and the stretching, and just use a Fiberskyn or other modern fake-skin drum head, and use rope tuning. Or make a wooden head like a cajon.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe a felt head? Go to a fabric store and they have all sorts of simulated leather and other materials - I think you can do probably something close to a real head depending on how you mount it - via rope or tacks. Beverly's has a large selection.

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thinking back to younger days, I was loading up for a gig, when something fell over, went thru top head on my snare, no place to buy a replacement at nite, took a quick look around and seen old army (canvas) duffel bag, I cut a circle out and somehow wrapped it around the old rim that was ruined, got it to tighten up, was not real sharp or loud, but it had a real nice woof to it!

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
can vegans use drumheads made from dead dinosaurs? (mylar)