Alternative bass drum tom mount for Sonor Phonics

Pionono

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an alternative bass drum tom mount for Sonor Phonics? I need a rim mount with a receiver hole smaller than the one on the Pearl Optimount, which will not tighten down on the L-tube for the rack tom, which is some sort of metric size. The existing mounts have L-tubes that deaden the tom sound, as Rick Dior has pointed out. He sawed off part of the L-tube and installed a rim mount with a small enough hole, but I can't find one like it (his was done in the 90s).

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought the pearl and sonor phonic sizes were interchangeable. Maybe you’re using an older phonic arm. The teardrops were different sizes than the later phonic and lite. Do you have a pic?

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several Sonor mounts and the tubes all interchange between my 60s teardrops through my Acryl drums, the latest of those being manufactured around 1977. As dingaling mentioned, it’s possible Sonor changed those during the Phonic run.

spelman

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an alternative bass drum tom mount for Sonor Phonics? I need a rim mount with a receiver hole smaller than the one on the Pearl Optimount, which will not tighten down on the L-tube for the rack tom, which is some sort of metric size. The existing mounts have L-tubes that deaden the tom sound, as Rick Dior has pointed out. He sawed off part of the L-tube and installed a rim mount with a small enough hole, but I can't find one like it (his was done in the 90s)

I have several Sonor mounts and the tubes all interchange between my 60s teardrops through my Acryl drums, the latest of those being manufactured around 1977. As dingaling mentioned, it’s possible Sonor changed those during the Phonic run.
But have you tried your Sonor arms on Pearl toms?

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

But have you tried your Sonor arms on Pearl toms?
I have not. I don’t have any Pearl stuff around here.