Alternative to TD4 Module

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I bought a Roland TD-4 KX2 kit for church several years ago, and while it has been a godsend for my hearing issues, the only thing left from the original kit is the module and harness. The kit itself has been replaced by my Ludwig Epic X-Over Striped kit with mesh heads and internal triggers and GEN16 Buffed Bronze cymbals played acoustically. The TD-4 Module is decent for what it is, but I'm looking to upgrade when tax refund time comes. I want something with a little more capability and with sounds that are a little more realistic. I've checked out the TD-11, which has more ability to edit and comes across as more realistic (i.e. acoustic sounding) but the stock kits are actually inferior to the ones on the TD-4. It does have 25 user kits that you can put together yourself, and there are some really good VHX edits that can be downloaded. They're in the 400 to 600 dollar range typically.
Any other makers that have decent modules that won't break the bank? I would prefer it to be an upgrade from the TD-4, obviously

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm assuming you know that if you replace the TD4 module you're also going to have to replace the harness, because the connector on the TD4 harness only works with the TD4 module.

You might look into the TD10 with the TDW-1 expansion card, plus Vex packs. You can pick these up on ebay in that $400-600 range and they're definitely an upgrade from the TD4.

Luddite

Reaction score
Yes, I was aware of the harness thing. How realistic do the TD-10 with Vex Pack sound? Thanks for the suggestion!

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That question will get a thousand answers, ranging from "pretty realistic" to "not realistic at all". You know the sounds from e-drums are very personal in how they're heard. I play this module, with vex packs, and I've been happy with it for several years. I've gigged and recorded with it, and never had any complaints. But, that's me and I know there are other players here who will tell you that nothing short of VST's will even get you close. I have no argument with them, but I also have never felt the need to make that investment.

For most players, with e-drum modules there are 2 primary considerations: cost and sound quality and, unless money is no object, it usually involves some kind of trade off. So, on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the cheapest module with the poorest sound quality and 10 being the money-is-no-object end of the spectrum, my personal opinion would be that the TD4 is around a 3.5 or 4, and the TD10 is around a 6.5 or 7. I've owned and played both and, like you, I gave up on the TD4 for the same reasons you cite, and the TD10 is what replaced it.

But, truth be known, I continually look for a TD20 at a good price (TD30's are way out of my budget). I've said this before: buying e-drum modules is like buying a boat or a motorcycle... always the buy the biggest one you can afford, because you'll always want something better.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I concur with the comments expressed by jazzerone. In addition to the TD-10 he recommended, you might want to search for a Roland TD-12 module. They're the "little brother" to the TD-20 with pretty much the same sound set but fewer parameters and outputs. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years and it still meets my needs, especially after adding a Vex pack from vexpressions.com. I use it mainly for quiet practice at home so I'm not that concerned about perfectly replicating the sound of an acoustic kit.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The TD12 would be an even better choice than the 10... they were still too pricey for me when I was buying, plus I liked 8 direct outs on the 10 for recording purposes... but for sounds the 12 would be much better.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As you are just triggering the Mesh head drums how about a

2box module

or even an old Ddrum 4 module?

Cheers
Mick

Luddite

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, folks. The 2box is out of my league price wise, the Ddrum 4 is in a decent price range. I'll have to see what I can find out about them.
The TD-12 looks like a decent module but is fairly pricey. I'm starting to think about the TD-15 or even TD-11 after going onto V-Expressions and checking out some of their modified kits. They sound pretty good. They got it pretty close on some of the ones based on different name brands, I can't recall just now what series it was. These can be had in the 4-600 range, which is a little more what I'm willing to spend. Thanks again for the help!