ALUMINUM BASS AND TOMS ANYONE?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone have any first hand experience using all aluminum-shelled drums, other than snares?

In particular drums with construction like those made by INDe, which are straight-walled with no roll over bearing edges.

Tuning range? Headroom? Pros/Cons vis a vis wood drums?

Here’s a pretty good rundown, but I’m interested if any of you have owned and played them in live band settings mic’d, unmic’d, or recorded with them.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I can only comment on the video, but the aluminum kit sounds really good and the tuning range is deeper than the Hoover damn and at least twice as full, even if the drum depths are reduced from the norm.

I'd keep the 15 tuned low and the 12 a bit lower than the medium tuning shown, both to work in a rock/funk setting. The kick, I'm not sure about. I didn't get a feeling that it can project or cut, which is why YT videos can't match being in person (or better yet, playing!) a kit.

He says they're really loud! That'd work for me.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can only comment on the video, but the aluminum kit sounds really good and the tuning range is deeper than the Hoover damn and at least twice as full, even if the drum depths are reduced from the norm.

I'd keep the 15 tuned low and the 12 a bit lower than the medium tuning shown, both to work in a rock/funk setting. The kick, I'm not sure about. I didn't get a feeling that it can project or cut, which is why YT videos can't match being in person (or better yet, playing!) a kit.

Agree with all of the above.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The first time I ever heard of INDe was seeing an aluminum set with wood hoops at Revival Drum Shop in Portland. They blew my mind because they sounded great, and very woody.

I understand it better now after getting into the Tempus / Milestone world. They sought to make unusually thin shells because they lowered the fundamental pitch beyond the increase in internal volume. I have also experienced fiberglass drums whose tones range from metallic to woody so I've tried to give up preconceived notions about shell materials.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I felt the same about the bass from the video. It seemed a little dead in comparison to the toms.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone have any first hand experience using all aluminum-shelled drums, other than snares?

In particular drums with construction like those made by INDe, which are straight-walled with no roll over bearing edges.

Tuning range? Headroom? Pros/Cons vis a vis wood drums?

Here’s a pretty good rundown, but I’m interested if any of you have owned and played them in live band settings mic’d, unmic’d, or recorded with them.

I haven’t, but our own Sinclair Lott plays Oriollo drums. Maybe PM him. There are several YouTube videos of him demoing Oriollo Phantom drums, their aluminum line. 100% spun seamless shells that sound freakin’ amazing in these videos. Here’s one. FYI, that’s a 16” bass drum. Gotta use headphones.

Last edited:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sinc Lott's videos (and my own experience with my Oriollo snare drums) inspired me to order two rack-size toms late last year ..... I also wanted to try out an idea I had for a mount that would interface with the beautiful Oriollo lugs. This was (for me, anyway!) a big success ...... and as the pandemic raged on and things were getting tougher for everyone ..... players and manufacturers ...... I decided to have Vukan complete my kit. Thus the Oriollo 18/12/15 in this pic:

2ECD4E0B-AA8E-4CC1-B0FB-1159CC66935A.jpeg

This kit sounded so great that I got REALLY crazy and ordered up a 16x13" bass drum and a 13x9.5" floor tom to use with the 10x7" tom I already owned. I'm very, very glad I did this ......... even without the gigs I used to have and the uncertainty of the future due to an accident last January.

Here's the microkit:

F44BAE25-CCC6-4633-B128-46B55E78485E.jpeg

I can't say enough good about the Oriollo Phantom seamless aluminum drums. By far the best sounding (and playing!) drums I've ever owned .........

Mike

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sinc Lott's videos (and my own experience with my Oriollo snare drums) inspired me to order two rack-size toms late last year ..... I also wanted to try out an idea I had for a mount that would interface with the beautiful Oriollo lugs. This was (for me, anyway!) a big success ...... and as the pandemic raged on and things were getting tougher for everyone ..... players and manufacturers ...... I decided to have Vukan complete my kit. Thus the Oriollo 18/12/15 in this pic:

View attachment 516080

This kit sounded so great that I got REALLY crazy and ordered up a 16x13" bass drum and a 13x9.5" floor tom to use with the 10x7" tom I already owned. I'm very, very glad I did this ......... even without the gigs I used to have and the uncertainty of the future due to an accident last January.

Here's the microkit:

View attachment 516081

I can't say enough good about the Oriollo Phantom seamless aluminum drums. By far the best sounding (and playing!) drums I've ever owned .........

Mike
Mike (and/or Tom), what sort of bearing edges do the Oriollos have compared to the straight edges on the INDe set?

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
These 2 brands Aluminum drums are the only drums left to really pique my interest ….
The Inde Wayfayer is around $1100 for 3 drums , anyone know how much 3 similar Oriollo drums would be ??

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, HD.

I assumed the O’s would be more, which is why I was looking at the INDes.

The INDE rivets are a little steam punky for me, but once I fall in love with a kit’s sound, the idiosyncrasies of appearance become below secondary.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
292BA1C8-3419-4220-9ACF-8D0D2DA1BAE2.jpeg
292BA1C8-3419-4220-9ACF-8D0D2DA1BAE2.jpeg
9B88C9EC-6CD9-4AF0-A221-6C2981B13798.jpeg
185AC9D0-B891-43B3-9B0B-39D07651FC89.jpeg

I’ve recorded and played live gigs with my Oriollo kit. They are warm sounding. The record beautifully. The kick drum with a pillow and a P3 clear on the batter to me and to most everyone who has heard it is one of the best sounding mic’d /unmic’d kicks around.I haven’t messed with the tuning much. I found one for the kit and it’s pretty much stayed there. This is the original one that Vucan built. I bought it from Joshua Kidd. It’s probably my favorite kit out of the four I have. I had a snare made to match it and it’s one of my favorites. I highly recommend Oriollo aluminum drums

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mike (and/or Tom), what sort of bearing edges do the Oriollos have compared to the straight edges on the INDe set?
IIRC from the Oriollo website, you have several options for bearing edge shape.

PS: Check this page. Scroll down:

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Oriollo doesn't have endorsers to my knowledge. I've purchased the two kits I have. My other is a Phantom 20/10/12/14 seamless aluminum too.
I also have one of their hammered copper snares, the aluminum snare in the video and one spun and one cast steel. All pretty darn nice. Except for the steel drums their very light weight shells.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

My Phantoms have the "Oriphonic" bearing edges ...... a proprietary combination of a reinforced thin edge (straight) on the snare (reso) side and a wide, relatively conventional wide rolled edge on the batter side. The latter very similar to my old Luddy Alu shell snare from the '60s. The reinforcement for the straight thin edge on the snare side is an inward-facing bead very close to the bearing edge. Can't fault the result ..... on snare, tom, or bass drum.

Check out the Oriollo website for details ........

Mike

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Oriollo doesn't have endorsers to my knowledge. I've purchased the two kits I have. My other is a Phantom 20/10/12/14 seamless aluminum too.
I also have one of their hammered copper snares, the aluminum snare in the video and one spun and one cast steel. All pretty darn nice. Except for the steel drums their very light weight shells.
My bad! Maybe a pro bono endorser? ;) I’ll change my prior post.