ALUMINUM BASS AND TOMS ANYONE?

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 516105 View attachment 516105 View attachment 516107 View attachment 516106
I’ve recorded and played live gigs with my Oriollo kit. They are warm sounding. The record beautifully. The kick drum with a pillow and a P3 clear on the batter to me and to most everyone who has heard it is one of the best sounding mic’d /unmic’d kicks around.I haven’t messed with the tuning much. I found one for the kit and it’s pretty much stayed there. This is the original one that Vucan built. I bought it from Joshua Kidd. It’s probably my favorite kit out of the four I have. I had a snare made to match it and it’s one of my favorites. I highly recommend Oriollo aluminum drums
That’s my favorite Oriollo kit !!!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You should check out Trick before you buy either one of these. Yes, the price is over the top, but having played Trick I can tell you their quality and craftsmanship is second to none.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You should check out Trick before you buy either one of these. Yes, the price is over the top, but having played Trick I can tell you their quality and craftsmanship is second to none.

Agree 100% on the "quality and craftsmanship" of Trick drums .......... but the Trick shells are very different from the Oriollo and INDe. The latter are very thin seamless cylinders "spun" into shape from a flat piece of aluminum - at least, the Oriollo "Phantom" series and some of the early (?) INDe snares. The Trick shells (at least, the ones I've owned and seen) are much thicker (2 - 3x) and rolled into a cylindrical shape and welded.

I think the Oriollo shell is more resonant and makes for a better sound, personally. But admittedly, I'm a fan of coated Ambassador batters and play a variety of relatively quiet music, mostly jazz. Quite possibly the Trick drums favor 2-ply heads and sound better when played hard and loud. At least, mine do ......

Mike

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would love to know what kind of feedback you get from bandmates?
Quite frankly 75% of the guys I work with couldn't tell the difference between a great sounding snare drum and a slamming car door much less different sounds from different kits. They expect it to sound like you know...a snare drum. What's more telling to me are responses from studio engineers that have recorded the drums. Those have been very favorable. Translation; they don't have to do much to get the kit sounding great. Of course my own opinion trumps even theirs and I really do like the sound and feel of the drums.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Quite frankly 75% of the guys I work with couldn't tell the difference between a great sounding snare drum and the slamming of a car door much less different sounds from different kits. They expect it to sound like you know...a snare drum. What's more telling to me are responses from studio engineers that have recorded the drums. Those have been very favorable. Translation; they don't have to do much to get the kit sounding great. Of course my own opinion trumps even theirs and I really do like the sound and feel of the drums.
Hahaha! Too funny man!

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Quite frankly 75% of the guys I work with couldn't tell the difference between a great sounding snare drum and the slamming of a car door much less different sounds from different kits. They expect it to sound like you know...a snare drum. What's more telling to me are responses from studio engineers that have recorded the drums. Those have been very favorable. Translation; they don't have to do much to get the kit sounding great. Of course my own opinion trumps even theirs and I really do like the sound and feel of the drums.

I think that Sinc has hit it on the button here ......... I have been amazed (and frankly disappointed .... !) by my fellow musician's inability to hear what I consider major differences in drum and cymbal sounds, even after I call their attention to them in frustration. Plus, they don't seem ...... interested.

I thought it was just me ........ or the folks I play with. I don't get it, because I'm vitally interested in the sound of other instruments, particularly bass. But then, I spent 10 years kicking around the technical end of the recording studio world ..... and paid some dues behind the board.

Drums were ALWAYS the biggest challenge ........... !

Mike

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a follow up, I contacted Josh Allen of INDe inquiring about the riveted shells. Below is his response verbatim, posted with his permission.

Re the shells:

“Our goal with the aluminum shells was to keep them light and with a low resonating pitch. Thin, straight wall shells are perfect for that, and they do a great job of emphasising low frequencies. They sound huge and resonant at low tunings, and tune up nicely in the higher ranges as well. Just really great sounding and versatile shells.

The rolled shell/riveted seam is just the best way for us to accomplish the sound we are after. It avoids the heat effects of welding, which can also be prone to cracking in thin wall aluminum. It also gives us the ability to make virtually any size, and with very little waste (a lot of material is cut-off when making a spun shell), which allows us to make them much more affordably than other methods.”

Re the Wayfarer aluminum bass drums:

“I think you would actually find you give up very little compared to a deeper bass drum. The shorter drum gives you a bit "quicker" and "punchier" sound, but reduces the shell resonance a bit. However, due to the design of our thin shells and lightweight hardware, the shells are still quite resonant compared to most other full size drums on the market. They are really amazing sounding drums, and versatile enough to get just about any sound you are after. The "Sounds Like a Drum" guys did a nice review of our WaFarer kits, definitely worth checking out this video if you haven't already!

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve watched that a few times . Those Aluminum kits are the only ones that really tempt any GAS for me .
That and anything steam bent ….