Aluminum CB Snare?

lordkoos

Reaction score
Anyone seen or played one of these? I know it's a cheapo, but it could sound pretty nice. I haven't been able to find out anything about them on the 'net so far, can't even find the model number, if there is one. Seems they are sometimes referred to as the "student model".

There's one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CB-Percussion-14-Snare-Drum-Kit-w-case-sticks-holder-needs-bottom-pad-/262412413204?hash=item3d18ffa914:g:RW0AAOSwE6VXJBHS

The lugs remind me of Taye drums.

Here's some better photos of a different one - https://reverb.com/item/65303-cb-aluminum-snare-drum

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
i had a steel shell snare as such...didnt seem to have snare beds if I remeber correctly. Alum shell would be better than the chrome/steel....no rust! Those lugs where kinda cheap as compared to the CB "wristwatch" lugs.....I like those!!!

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not too long ago I finally was able to buy an Acro. The last I played one was well over 20 years ago in school. So, my perspective has changed (for the better) and so I was very eager to discover how they sound. Once I dialed it in - I could say "I get it!"

That said - I just love finding "cheap" stuff that actually sounds great.

So, I am VERY interested to hear (read) what the scoop is on these aluminum CBs. If I had some extra cash I could just throw out a mere $65 and have one delivered to my house. However, it might need new heads and wires (another $50) and then having that much invested - ......I'll just let this thread inform me.

Of course, diehard Ludwig fans would deny any assertion that it would be as good as the proprietary Ludalloy.

geoffbosco

Reaction score
I had been looking for an Acrolite and thought there must be a cheaper alternative out there somewhere. Aluminum isn't that expensive and the manufacturing process can't be that different. Then I discovered this same CB drum recently and decided to take a chance on it. I made a video about it, check it out:

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one identical to the one n the video above. I tested mine out with a magnet and it sticks very strongly. I did not test the inside of the shell (which is shiny), but will when I change out the bottom head. I doubt it is 100% aluminum. In fact, I am wondering just how much aluminum it is....wish we could get some insight on some alloy specs......but not possible unless we could get some info from Carlos Bruno himself....and I am not only unsure if that is the exact name, I am also unsure if he is still alive. :)

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in 2015, I found one for $30 and turned it into a drum clock. Still hangs in my kitchen.
79F1A4EF-CD0A-47B9-8F71-20E770C8F24E.jpeg

evolving_machine

Reaction score
Someone gave me a CB kit, 22 bass, 12 hanging, and 13 hanging, and a 14 inch snare. I modified the kit to play lower volume and I left the kit at my guitar players place. I don't like leaving good stuff at peoples houses, the CB kit was far from good stuff. But, the snare throw off broke, and their construction is very cheap. I couldn't just tape the snare wires to the snare head because a few tunes I shut off the snare. I picked up a steel pearl, 8 lug for about $60.00. I really would not recommend that throw off. But, I used that kit for over a year and a half. I took the larger of the two toms and drilled some floor tom legs in it. Overall it was not too bad of a sound. I used the Aquarian modern Vintage and muffled the heck out of the bass drum and it did the job.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the same manufacturer that makes their steel ones, (and my guess is it is) they will also be found under different manufacturer names. If you notice, the badge is a sticker.
I like my steel one so much that I doubled down and spent another $20 US for a second one- an eight lug with DHX as the branding sticker

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice! I paid only $30 for my Supra but I'd gladly pay the same for one of these secrets.