Aluminum Hardware Has Changed My Life!

plangentmusic

Reaction score
For years I wondered why drum hardware wasn't aluminum. (Though back in the 70's Rogers did have a line of aluminum cymbal stands with crappy clamps so they never caught on). Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of gettig the Yamaha and/or DW lightweight line and just decided to go all out. I replaced the cymbal stands, snare stand, hi hat, and would even get the floor tom legs but they don't fit my old stayle brackets. Anyway -- it's a total game changer! The trap case is literally a quarter of the wieight it once was. What took two guys to carry it up a flight of stairs can be done holding it in one hand. They also fold up to fit more easily and in general are easier to set up. Some people claim it makes the cynbals sound better. I don't know about that, but who cares?!

My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner -- and the fact that struggled for years lugging my instrument around and now, that is no longer the case. And man , was I a dope thinking I needed a heavy duty double leg braced snare drum stand. Who ever knocker over a snare drum stand?!?!? The one I have now weighs ONE pound.

If you're a gigging drummer it'd be downright foolish not to make the change. You will not regret it!

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For years I wondered why drum hardware wasn't aluminum. (Though back in the 70's Rogers did have a line of aluminum cymbal stands with crappy clamps so they never caught on). Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of gettig the Yamaha and/or DW lightweight line and just decided to go all out. I replaced the cymbal stands, snare stand, hi hat, and would even get the floor tom legs but they don't fit my old stayle brackets. Anyway -- it's a total game changer! The trap case is literally a quarter of the wieight it once was. What took two guys to carry it up a flight of stairs can be done holding it in one hand. They also fold up to fit more easily and in general are easier to set up. Some people claim it makes the cynbals sound better. I don't know about that, but who cares?!

My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner -- and the fact that struggled for years lugging my instrument around and now, that is no longer the case. And man , was I a dope thinking I needed a heavy duty double leg braced snare drum stand. Who ever knocker over a snare drum stand?!?!? The one I have now weighs ONE pound.

If you're a gigging drummer it'd be downright foolish not to make the change. You will not regret it!
1000%.

The Yamaha Crosstown is a complete game changer. I bought a set about 4 years ago plus 2 additional cymbal stands and an extra snare stand and it all still fits into that awesome bag. I don’t use the hi hat stand because I have a double bass pedal and got a two leg hi hat stand but other than that they are amazing and blow away the DWs and Tamas in my opinion.

Also, it looks like Canopus has gone a step further and put out a hybrid aluminum/steel hardware set with aluminum bases and steel boom arms. Not cheap but might be worth a look.

I’m tempted actually to go all aluminum. Either an INDe or an Oriollo kit with my Dunnett Aluminum snare and the Yamaha Crosstown hardware. Pretty sure that aluminum cymbals would be kinda crappy though.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the DW Ultralight stuff. I've used it with some hard-hitting gigs indoors (and light stuff outdoors in no wind), and it's been problem free. Probably wouldn't put my bell brass snare on the snare stand, but everything else (include 6.5 and 8" deep snares) has been fine.

The DW ultralight kit + my gig additions (rug, towel, DW shell-mount cymbal arm, Dunnett rail consolette, mic stand, throne base, and floor tom legs) all fits in the bag provided, and can be lifted with (literally) 2 fingers:

It's shallow, but I just can't get over the look of the Crosstown stuff. Love Yamaha hardware -- my studio kit is all 700 series Yamaha -- but just can't get hip to 70s-projector-screen vibe.

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
It's shallow, but I just can't get over the look of the Crosstown stuff. Love Yamaha hardware -- my studio kit is all 700 series Yamaha -- but just can't get hip to 70s-projector-screen vibe.

I agree, shallow or not this is an issue for a lot of people, myself included. I hope Yamaha or another trusted line will soon introduce aluminum 'ultra light' hardware, in the same range as the Crosstown weight, that looks a bit more like traditional hardware.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’ve used both DW and Yamaha and while I find individually each stand is light weight, add a throne base, top, pedal and hardware bag it all adds up to being pretty hefty either way.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Great stuff. I wonder about long term durability with crosstown stands. Esp the snare basket angle adjustment. It doesn't hold fast and is steel on aluminum (they aren't friends generally). I was shocked at how light they are when I first picked one up.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff. I wonder about long term durability with crosstown stands. Esp the snare basket angle adjustment. It doesn't hold fast and is steel on aluminum (they aren't friends generally). I was shocked at how light they are when I first picked one up.
My 20 pound Gretsch Bell Brass snare has been sitting on the crosstown stand for a little while now and it has held up nicely. I was kinda surprised though tbh.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
My 20 pound Gretsch Bell Brass snare has been sitting on the crosstown stand for a little while now and it has held up nicely. I was kinda surprised though tbh.
I havnt had any issues with my stand. It has more "play" in the basket than any other stand I have had. If it's supporting bell brass it's prob safe to say it's gtg. Cheers.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can respect that. For me it was all about the reduction in weight + the stability that the Crosstown stuff offers so I wasn’t concerned much with appearance. I pretty much use it only for gigging as I have other hardware for kits at the house and practice space.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, shallow or not this is an issue for a lot of people, myself included. I hope Yamaha or another trusted line will soon introduce aluminum 'ultra light' hardware, in the same range as the Crosstown weight, that looks a bit more like traditional hardware.
I think the Crosstowns look awesome. Not into the flat stand look.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Crosstown set, but my band is on Hiatus now so I'm stuck. There is no question that there's a significant weight difference compared to my heavy double brace stands, and my back is thrilled!

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
I think the Crosstowns look awesome. Not into the flat stand look.

I don't care for the flat stands either, I'm tripod all the way. Probably poor choice of word but by 'traditional' I just meant chromed finish and the regular look of most hardware legs. To me the Crosstown legs look somehow like a toy. I had a cheap camera tripod once, with legs that looked just like the Crosstowns.

Last edited:

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For the benefit of beginner drummers,
and drummers like Me who've never
seen aluminum hardware for drums,
I'll post this screen-grab pic for
visual reference ...

20220514_015937467.jpeg

...yes, they do look like projector screens.
But, even I can't bench press my current
rack and cymbal stands forever.

I'm a skinny guy who might develop
"Popeye Forearms" if I continue hauling
50 lb hardware bags all over the place.
Someday I may have to switch to these
lightweight stands.

At almost 57 years old, I wanna reserve
my physical energy to where it counts
and that is Playing Drums.
If I wanted to become all Dragonball Z
muscular and ripped I'd join Gold's Gym!
:-D

evolving_machine

Reaction score
I have the Yamaha kit also. The cymbal stands are very light, but there is no boom and I would not allow an attached extension on the cymbal stand. But, its still good because it is so lightweight. There are times when I just want to play the minimum and two cymbal stands will do the job.

I have a question about the hi-hat stand:
Is there a way to put a heavier spring in that hi-hat?
I think that spring may have been designed for light weight cymbals.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking of a lightweight HW set as well but need a couple of booms. The Canopus stuff looks promising. My Pearl and Gibraltar HW, while rock solid, is taking a toll on my back…this is coming from someone who has had lower back surgery!