Aluminum Hardware Has Changed My Life!

wackjob

Reaction score
Hi hat and snare stand are on my shopping list. I have a homemade rack made out of aluminum and it's super lightweight. Do they do a throne as well ?

I also wonder if the legs are easily removed from the hi hat stand. I don't have legs on my current yamaha model as i clamp it to my rack and use it as one of the rack legs.

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have the yamahaha x town stands for my 65 ludwig set
the only thing i don't like is the foot board angle on the hi-hat stand

Attachments

• yamaha lite stands.jpg
    yamaha lite stands.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 43

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Crosstowns look awesome. Not into the flat stand look.
That's a great point. I don't like the look of the Crosstown so I would pass in favor of other lightweight options, but I never thought of the perspective that many don't like the flat base look for themselves. That's a good reminder for me that we all play what we like and it's all good!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have them and appreciate their weight but the Hi Hat stand is unusable for me because of no two legged or swivel offered. Also, the snare stand has not held for my back beats. Also, I did make a stand with a boom which added to it's weight. I've also knocked a couple stands down and one has crawled a bit. I don't consider myself a heavy hitter but can lay into them. Right now, I have to use a hybrid version because I can't attach my cowbell to my stand on the left like I'm used to.

280526485_10226634578358104_7156290809592331029_n.jpg

280470724_10226634578438106_4540994535760621914_n.jpg

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have them and appreciate their weight but the Hi Hat stand is unusable for me because of no two legged or swivel offered. Also, the snare stand has not held for my back beats. Also, I did make a stand with a boom which added to it's weight. I've also knocked a couple stands down and one has crawled a bit. I don't consider myself a heavy hitter but can lay into them. Right now, I have to use a hybrid version because I can't attach my cowbell to my stand on the left like I'm used to.

View attachment 559371
View attachment 559372
You could shed some extra weight by using the upper tube as a boom on the DW clamp too.

I love the crosstown series. Tried them together with the DW and these were so much better to me in terms of build and how solid they were.

I don’t need booms on them, but they can be added quite easily.

I got a second snare stand today.

It matches the ultra light Club Custom kit I got in Yesterday:

E839B29E-6A97-48BF-BF48-B05B2207E4E2.jpeg

The Yamaha DS-750 is a perfect match for them in terms of weight and matte looks:
1652616542932.png

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Crosstown stands. I put the SS950 snare stand TOP in the Crosstown snare bottom and it's the absolute best with only a little added weight. Unfortunately I needed two boom stands so I mixed in the lightweight steel Pearl booms as supplements. And I'm OK with the look of the Crosstowns.
Stretch

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 559371
View attachment 559372
I think I know why those stands aren’t working out that great for you. You’re sitting backwards on your throne.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they do a throne as well ?
They don’t currently offer a throne in the Crosstown series but I don’t think I’d trust one if they did. My gigging pack includes this Gibraltar throne and it’s the lightest one I’ve found that’s still usable. I’m not small (6’ 3” around 225) and this thing has served me well.

Attachments

• 765A2DEA-B146-4317-A468-5DFCCCFD888E.jpeg
    765A2DEA-B146-4317-A468-5DFCCCFD888E.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 35

stick2it

Reaction score
I agree with some of those here that the Yamaha lightweight hardware looks more like a camera tripod -- not for me. I much prefer the flat-base DW hardware. My contribution to an earlier, related DFO forum (about the DW UL snare stand) is maybe worth repeating here:

I also purchased the entire DW 6000 UL package with carry bag years ago. Great hardware! Well designed and built. I'm able to fit into the carry bag, also, the hardware for a sufficiently sturdy Gibraltar throne plus a Tama HP-50 Classic pedal. In one bag. one arm, with the throne seat sitting between the straps, I'm ready to go! I gig several times per month, and use brass 14 x 5.5 and heavy maple 14 x 6.5 snare drums -- the snare stand has no issues supporting these. The one shortcoming of the UL package is not the snare stand but the hi hat, which is too wobbly. I upgraded to the more deluxe, slightly heavier DW 6500 hi hat stand which is a beauty -- I like it far more than my heavier DW 7500 hi hat stand in my home studio. Fits in the carry bag just fine with the rest of the hardware. Yes, the UL snare stand works a little differently than your typical tripod stand, but it's ultralight and works well if you set it up correctly.

Since I adopted the DW UL hardware several years ago, Canopus has expanded its lightweight, "Hybrid" series, partly-aluminum hardware that some here referenced. It looks like the best of all worlds in lightweight hardware: ulturalight, sturdy, traditional tripod-base designs. But admittedly, I'm a Canopus endorser (because they do most everything well).

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I will be ordering the Canopus Hybrid HW, 2x Booms, Throne and snare stand…Not sure about the Hi-hat since I use DW 5000 series 2 leg and the matching single or double pedal…But if thats the heaviest thing I need to carry…so be it.

I dont really like the flat look and the crosstown doesn’t have booms…

Blisco

Reaction score
Had my first (second with the Crosstown) with the complete INDe kit last night. Stellar all the way around.
Missed having the 4 crashes and 4 toms I'm used to but for these outdoor patio gigs, it is perfect. Quick pack up and so, so light.
I was able to drop one complete PR bag from my gigging arsenal. Unreal. Everything was super stable, even on some questionable cymbal grabs for show. I'll continue to reserve the DW9000 and CM kit for bigger shows/weddings etc.

qC94HOJ.jpg

I forgot to get a gig pic but this is what I brought.

espotj

Reaction score
I have 2 sets of DW Ultralight flat base stands and love them. Since I retired 16 months ago, I've sold off all my expensive and vintage gear and now am enjoying my Ludwig Questlove Breakbeats kits for my lower volume Assisted Living and Lounge gigs. I liked my first one so much that I bought another one used and recovered it in Vintage Sky Blue Pearl. The 16" bass drum is a little cannon with an Emad batter head. I can't imagine a lighter weight set of drums, which really matters when you're closing in on 70!!!

Attachments

• Wingare 4.jpg
    Wingare 4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail_IMG_3267.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3267.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 25