header.nohb.html

Aluminum Hardware Has Changed My Life!

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own Lightweight hardware packs from Yamaha, Tama , DW and Canopus . It is all I use now . I generally use the Tama Classic series for the majority of my gigs and the Yamaha next . The DW Ultralight stays with a rehearsal kit . The Canopus gets dropped in the rotation ocassionally . Here are pics from my gigs this weekend .
67D85020-C764-48CF-B57D-AE704B3EA2B8.jpeg
06DFBD83-A9FC-48FC-A756-5A78052593FF.jpeg

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Canopus Hybrid Boom is sturdy enough to fly a Tom? I have a dedicated Tom stand but it‘s heavy…

plangentmusic

Reaction score
They don’t currently offer a throne in the Crosstown series but I don’t think I’d trust one if they did. My gigging pack includes this Gibraltar throne and it’s the lightest one I’ve found that’s still usable. I’m not small (6’ 3” around 225) and this thing has served me well.
I did the same. My ass doesn't know how heavy the throne is. Why the heck was a using a 16 pound throne all those years?!!

As for the Yamaha hi hat -- there is that issue of non adjustable tension that bugs me a bit. I like it a little tighter/faster. But it's do-able and the trade off is worth it. Though I have a feeling the next model will have the adjustable tension and I'm going to want that one.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have hopped on the Yamaha Crosstown bandwagon. It's not my favorite look, but you know what else isn't a good look? Back surgery, that's what. I'm gigging as much as I ever have. I'm out of shape and 54 and that bag of 7 series stuff is HEAVY. If I still gigged the 9 series stuff, you'd be scraping me off of the road; no way I could lift it now.

I suppose I will still use my 7 and even 9 series stands on occasion, but phasing this in seems like the right move. I bought Yamaha stands in 1983, 1996, and 2022, and each time has been an improvement.

Dan

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just upgraded all my cymbal boom and snare stands to Sonor Protec......easily the nicest hardware I've ever used and the lightweight aluminum double braced design is nearly unmatched as far as I'm concerned. Just wish it werent so hard and expensive to find more of them!

Ryukyu

Reaction score
For those that use the Crosstown hardware, has anyone replaced the felts on the cymbal stands and hi-hat stand?
Mine seem awfully stiff and thick.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Question to the experts: how are you placing the hi hat stand in the bag for transport? I'm taking the top part off, unscrewing the upper pull rod, so, using that velcro strip, how do you keep the parts from scratching?

Dan

Ryukyu

Reaction score
I just unscrew the pullrod, collapse the stand and put it in the bag. Rod and clutch go in a separate gig bag.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Shoot … I’ve been focusing on the elements that affect the sound of my drums.
I pulled a 9x13 from a DW ultra-lite snare stand and put it directly on a clunky old double-braced Tama. There was a world of difference in the sound. The heavy stand killed the resonance. Same goes with cymbals, but it's harder to hear.
Stands do affect the sound!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Question to the experts: how are you placing the hi hat stand in the bag for transport? I'm taking the top part off, unscrewing the upper pull rod, so, using that velcro strip, how do you keep the parts from scratching?

Dan
Couldn’t imagine doing all that work. Take off cymbals collapse the base and put the stand in the bag. My Onstage bags are about 5 feet tall, no need to disassemble or collapse any of my stands . Each bag has 2 compartments with a padded divider. 3 bags ( one for each guitarist to carry) makes it a breeze

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Couldn’t imagine doing all that work. Take off cymbals collapse the base and put the stand in the bag. My Onstage bags are about 5 feet tall, no need to disassemble or collapse any of my stands . Each bag has 2 compartments with a padded divider. 3 bags ( one for each guitarist to carry) makes it a breeze

That sounds interesting. Which Onstage bags? Do you have a link?

Dan

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
For those that use the Crosstown hardware, has anyone replaced the felts on the cymbal stands and hi-hat stand?
Mine seem awfully stiff and thick.
No problem here. I don’t use the top for most of the cymbals.

Otherwise just use half of the felt.

I have a different clutch, otherwise I did the same with this one too, just cut the felt in half.

Dan

Put a memory lock on it and dis-assemble. Just takes a few seconds.

I don’t use the velcro, only the sleeve.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up 2x Canopus Hybrid booms…super sturdy but not feather light. Great hardware overall. Will see how much weight I save when the rest of the stuff comes in…throne and snare stand.

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The ultimate aluminum hardware was Sonor's Protec series in the late 1980-1990s. Incredibly hard to find today.

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 3.51.21 PM.jpg

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
In Europe, they are still a bit more affordable, if you can find them.

The Protect series still had steel parts too, so it was not completely alu, and thus slightly heavier than today's available products.

Demonslayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the DW Ultralight stuff. I've used it with some hard-hitting gigs indoors (and light stuff outdoors in no wind), and it's been problem free. Probably wouldn't put my bell brass snare on the snare stand, but everything else (include 6.5 and 8" deep snares) has been fine.

The DW ultralight kit + my gig additions (rug, towel, DW shell-mount cymbal arm, Dunnett rail consolette, mic stand, throne base, and floor tom legs) all fits in the bag provided, and can be lifted with (literally) 2 fingers:

It's shallow, but I just can't get over the look of the Crosstown stuff. Love Yamaha hardware -- my studio kit is all 700 series Yamaha -- but just can't get hip to 70s-projector-screen vibe.

Sciatica.