Always One Good Musical Takeaway

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always One Good Musical Takeaway

SKF NOTE: One night at a club in Illinois, back when I was earning a living as a drummer, musician friends and I were checking out the band. This was not a name band. It was a lounge band traveling a circuit, probably, of short stints at different Midwestern venues.

The only bit of music I remember from that about 47 years ago? During a ballad, the drummer gently dragged the loop on the wire end of his brushes straight down, from just below the cymbal bell to the cymbal edge.

I had never seen that before. What a great sound effect. I’ve used it countless times since.

And it taught me that, in almost every musical situation, even the mostly lame musical situations, if I keep my eyes, ears, and mind open — there’s always at least one good takeaway.

SKFBlog - Life Beyond the Cymbals - https://scottkfish.com/2021/06/18/always-one-good-musical-takeaway/

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used that technique many times over the years. I remember I was shown a similar technique in concert band in High School by another drummer. He told me to use the edge of a dime and drag it across the top of the cymbal. And if I wanted to get a "richer" tone from the cymbal I should use a quarter. Bah da boom!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I played A.Zildjians (non brilliant) it worked great. You lose those ripples on a pie, then not so much.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I played A.Zildjians (non brilliant) it worked great. You lose those ripples on a pie, then not so much.
The A Zildjian ridges are key to the sound. I should have mentioned that. I used a 22" A Medium Ride.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Used that same technique for years.
Every drummer has something to offer.
As a lefty i had to learn from lots of rightys,if i couldn't copy stroke for stroke,id emulate or imply.