Am I asking too much?

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I have had 4 items up on C/L gor about a month. Little to no interest. Are my prices too high?
1. Clubdate jellybean kit. 12,14 20. $750
2. Zildjian K 24" light ride. $300
3. Paiste pre serial 602 20" medium ride. $200
4. Powder coated supra. 60s. $175
Is the market just slow?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you are selling into a demographic that is attempting to also sell into the same demographic, gear wise anyway.

I was at the CT. Drum Show this Sunday and as much as I appreciate my elders putting this show on, gear wise it is the same sea of Ludwig, Gretsch, Camco and older Zildjian, all price high and all still sitting there at the end of the day.

In addition, in my experience, CL is challenging to sell drum gear on, you are almost expected to take a serious haircut to move it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had 4 items up on C/L gor about a month. Little to no interest. Are my prices too high?
1. Clubdate jellybean kit. 12,14 20. $750
2. Zildjian K 24" light ride. $300
3. Paiste pre serial 602 20" medium ride. $200
4. Powder coated supra. 60s. $175
Is the market just slow?
Man I've had so much trouble selling on CL. I'm doing everything on eBay now but it's usually small stuff. I know it's a pain having to ship big stuff so CL is usually easier for that. The only issue is that with CL the audience is tiny compared to eBay. I think this is a bad month as well to sell. Today is tax day!
Almost everyone who files this month is because they owe taxes so the beginning of the year is better because during that time people are getting tax refunds. Just my observation!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
1. Your prices are too high for today's local market.

2. Craigslist list is dying... much of that local business now happens on facebook marketplace.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Doesn't look like you are out of reach price-wise, but keep in mind, CL is basically a modern day electronic garage sale. People are either tied up tax wise or they may be waiting for you to drop prices a bit. Last time I sold on CL the item moved pretty quickly. i also had some ridiculously lowball offers too.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Inject funny yard sale story here...

A friend, who is a decent golfer was sellin some oddball clubs at a yard sale. He was asking like $20 for a particular club.

A gentleman unhesitatingly offered him $5 for the club. My buddy said "sure" took the five bucks and promptly bent the club over his knee and held it out to the guy. Who sheepishly took his five bucks back.

Moral of the story?

Sometimes it just ain't worth the hassle.

TomPotti

Reaction score
As someone said above, you'll likely have much more success on Facebook marketplace. I sold most of my cymbals this way.

Reactions: bob

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Prices aren't out of line but like the guys have said above, CL is dying out. FB groups and FB Marketplace are where lots of gear is being sold and of course here on DFO. I'd also add that Jellybean kits are an acquired taste in my opinion. If that kit was matching you'd have already sold it at 750 or more I'm sure.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
So what I do is if an item is popular, I list it on eBay for $1. Really. You are at risk but generally you get more than a fixed price. I sold a Supra in descent condition for $200. Considering it’s condition, I did well. I fully disclosed its condition and posted 20 good pictures.

On the down side, I listed a slightly used 9x13 wood fiberglass Pearl (the newer version) in platinum mist for a buck and it sold for $43. Ouch! But it was an unusual color with no market.

Right now I’ve got a pair of Meinl Luis Conte timbales that I would’ve been happy to get $100 for that listed at $1. It’s now at $164 with Two days left on the auction.

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So what I do is if an item is popular, I list it on eBay for $1. Really. You are at risk but generally you get more than a fixed price. I sold a Supra in descent condition for $200. Considering it’s condition, I did well. I fully disclosed its condition and posted 20 good pictures.

On the down side, I listed a slightly used 9x13 wood fiberglass Pearl (the newer version) in platinum mist for a buck and it sold for $43. Ouch! But it was an unusual color with no market.

Right now I’ve got a pair of Meinl Luis Conte timbales that I would’ve been happy to get $100 for that listed at $1. It’s now at $164 with Two days left on the auction.
Dan, I have always wondered what listing for $1 means. If I offer $1 do you have to sell it to me for $1? Or is it understood that you really want to move it and you'll take any offer?

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dan, I have always wondered what listing for $1 means. If I offer $1 do you have to sell it to me for $1? Or is it understood that you really want to move it and you'll take any offer?
I once sold an item with a $1 no reserve. Thought it would get at least $35 plus shipping. Had a ton of views and many watchers. Ended up selling for $1.
I usually don't have the balls to do auctions nowadays.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Depends if there is a "reserve" price set by the seller. A reserve is a hidden, undisclosed price that is the minimum that the seller will accept. If the bids don't meet the reserve, there's no deal. Next to the dollar of the current bid it will say "reserve not met" if that's the situation.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your prices are very fair. The problem is that Craigslist is a grind lately.

I had a bunch of items on and off CL for months. In frustration, I pulled them and listed on Reverb and everything sold within a couple of weeks.

Larger market, more exposure, as long as you're willing to deal with shipping and fees.

I gave up long ago on the idea of trying to significantly profit on anything. I just try to break even, at the least. It's more about moving things that I don't want sitting around and hopefully getting some decent money back.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold a 24" K light for $350 on CList maybe 3-4 yrs ago. I think your price is right on that. Seems to be right on the Paiste and Supra, too. Not sure about the kit - I looked for your old post but the CL link is dead. I was interested but don't recall details and the s/h is a killer for me. If local, I'd jump on it (and hope to get it for a bit less if possible)......

I remember when I was a kid seeing a 12/14/20 KB club date in natural for $350 but I could not afford it in high school.......this was the late 80's.........

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As the majority of above posts indicate, it can be really tough to sell on CL... especially this time of year! I have three passions; drums, vintage stereo and computers! I'm a retired computer tech and have amassed a lot of older, but good-working, computers and and other hardware. I just sold everything you see in the pictures on CL for only $260. I listed everything at $280, the buyer offered $240 and we settled at $260. The buyer was VERY happy and I was able to clear out all these computers! I could have probably sold the computers and hardware separately for so much more than I got, but why bother.

I'm going to try and sell some drums on CL, but will wait until prospective buyers have time to build up the funds they lost after paying taxes!!

-Mark

Attachments

Last edited:

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I sold a 24" K light for $350 on CList maybe 3-4 yrs ago. I think your price is right on that. Seems to be right on the Paiste and Supra, too. Not sure about the kit - I looked for your old post but the CL link is dead. I was interested but don't recall details and the s/h is a killer for me. If local, I'd jump on it (and hope to get it for a bit less if possible)......

I remember when I was a kid seeing a 12/14/20 KB club date in natural for $350 but I could not afford it in high school.......this was the late 80's.........
Careful now. I have a good friend in Pacific Grove, another in San Luis Obispo and a sister in San Diego. I could take a road trip. The kit is up on Seattle C/L under Ludwig club date jellybean kit.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
have you tried selling your stuff on here ? ....
Yes I have.I don't know how to post pics on here, so I just put links to my C/L ads. But no or little interest. I think Nacci had it right with a demographic selling to the same demographic who are also trying to ell.