Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Like My Craviotto Snare?

andlours

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So about 6 months back I was able to pick up a late 90s Craviotto/DW solid maple snare drum. It's 5.5"x14" with a maple shell and is signed by Johnny. The drum is absolutely gorgeous and the workmanship is incredible, but I just can't get it to sound good. I've tried a coated ambassador, earthtone calfskin, and it currently has a controlled sound reverse dot on it. It has incredible sensitivity and body, but it just seems to be boxy with some strange overtones. Has anyone else here not enjoyed the sound of a Craviotto? Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get these drums dialed in? I'm to the point where I might just sell the drum and find something different that I can get a tone i like out of. I'd really like to keep the drum though and just find a way to get it dialed in the way I like.

Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I had a 6.5 from around the same time period and in order to get sounding good I had to get the snare beds done. They were pretty much non existent on mine. After that it sounded great.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No harm or shame in selling to get something that sounds better to you. Had the same thing happen with a Yamaha 6.5" Manu Katche snare drum. Every single thing about that drum added up to what should've been a great sound, but I could never make it happen. Sold it to a drum buddy and it's one of his favorite snares. Ya just never know.

J

jaymandude

I had a cherry DW /Craviotto that I had some difficulty with. In my case the drum sounded good but I grew very tired of the sound very quickly.

I have a few other more recent Craviottos post DW that sound fantastic. You never know what's gonna do it for you

andlours

Reaction score
I'll take a closer look at the beds and hoops. The drum is in really great condition. I'll snap some pictures today of the drum. I'm pretty sure the hoops are in round and the snare beds look adequately deep. Maybe I could throw a gated snare side hoop on and a dynasonic bridge to help? Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really do appreciate it.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
rculberson said:
No harm or shame in selling to get something that sounds better to you. Had the same thing happen with a Yamaha 6.5" Manu Katche snare drum. Every single thing about that drum added up to what should've been a great sound, but I could never make it happen. Sold it to a drum buddy and it's one of his favorite snares. Ya just never know.
I got a good deal on a Yamaha Musashi Oak snare last year & couldn't zone it in to my liking no matter how I tried. The guy who bought it was as happy as pie.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you swapped out the snare wires? Some wires tend to be boxy sounding to my ears and I would recommend trying some Canopus or Gretsch 20 strand wires. Those are my go to wires for most drums and I tend to swap out the original wires on most drums.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to own 3-4 solid maple Noble & Cooley snares that sound like what youre describing with your Craviotto. I thought I just didnt like solid shells after going through several of those snare, and they were all sold off. Funny enough, I found (and eventually bought) a used special edition Unlimited Craviotto at a local Guitar Center that sounded far better than any of the N&C solids Id had before.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's very possible that there are snare bed issues...along with other mechanical issues. I'd take the drum apart, put the shell on a flat surface and check the beds. Also be sure that the beds line up properly with the strainer and butt. You'd be surprised at how often the beds are off-center! My friend, Chris Heuer (owner of Heuer's Drum Lab in Burbank) has worked on plenty of Craviotto snare drums, including some sent directly from Johnny. Johnny was a master craftsman, but even he could make mistakes. Anyway, take your drum apart and check the shell, hoops, ect. Let us know what you find.

-Mark

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Craviotto Unlimited and it sounds like magic. I'd look at the beds and edges before I give up on it.

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get the sound I wanted out of mine, I had to crank the snare head way more that I though necessary. Opened right up.

Reactions: Ang

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had exactly same issue with a sakae trilogy Snare drum.. I tried everything but it had a horrendous buzz and "thwoing" best way I can say it.. Someone here said "hey Gerry check out the snare beds" ... I sent the drum back, on examination they found there were NO Snare beds.. Can you actually believe?? I mean a really trusted quality company shipping something with such a series basic flaw.. I was offered another.. I just took a bank credit..
BUT some things dont work for some of us..tastes are wildly different.. Like I loathe those huge big dark dry rides that sound like a garbage lid but hey my paiste sig Bright Ride would bring some purist snowflakes to tears...

Hahahah

Gerry

Up2Speed

Reaction score
On my Craviotto I have had the reso head tuned to 430 HZ (TuneBot lug reading) and it sounds fantastic. It doesn't choke. I tune the batter to 350 HZ at the lugs.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 6.5 DW/Crav from about the same era as yours that has been my go to snare for more than 15 years. I did install some Puresound snares early on, and have used Aquarian Texture Coated batter heads exclusively. I also changed out the strainer, first for a Nickel and then for a Trick about 10 years ago.

As usual for me, it took me a few weeks to dial it in, and over the years it's performed well in various settings, including country, jazz, and rock.

Sometimes a drum just doesn't speak to you. I love mine, but someone else may hate it. No problem.

R

RickP

What kind of edges are on your snare ? I did that the full roundover baseball bat edges will not work for me . I prefer the sharp 45 degree edge for solid shell snares . I have owned a few snares that have had the full round over edges and they always sounded dull and boxy to me . I know some people love them , just not me .

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
andlours said:
Hey guys,

So about 6 months back I was able to pick up a late 90s Craviotto/DW solid maple snare drum. It's 5.5"x14" with a maple shell and is signed by Johnny. The drum is absolutely gorgeous and the workmanship is incredible, but I just can't get it to sound good.
Its a formed chunk of wood from the same trees other drums are made from.

Craviotto does not grow some unique breed of trees.

You are paying for excellent craftsmanship and marketing.

That drum will please the taste of only a certain individual.

A good drummer with know-how can make any well made snare sound great. Its not the drum. Marketing would have us believe it is the drum.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I had a Black Cherry Limited 5.5x14 Craviotto.
Beautiful drum and superb workmanship in every detail, nickle plated tubelugs & diecasts, signed and dated by JC in 2006 with Crav case, etc..
It played fine, tuned fine, good sensitivity etc. but the tone wasn't anything truly unique or special, IMO. I actually prefer the sound of several common plywood Keller production snares I have over the tone of the Craviotto, they're not "better" drums but they sound just as good or better to me.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Bought one (a DW craviotto) used at a great price. Liked it, but much preferred my metal Ludwig snares. So, I sold the Crav and haven't looked back. It was a cool drum, but I just never really reached for it over anything else I had.