Am I the only one who had been unaware of Anika Nilles?!

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She's great! Really good at the odd grouping fills that even when she demos them and writes them out I still find myself throwing my sticks across the basement!

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
She's a great drummer. I've certainly been enjoying her videos.

Not just a YT drummer anymore for sure. Nice, talented band she's put together.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's great. Good to hear her in a band setting.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really great drummer.

There is a funky swing there that allows her to be both commanding yet laid back.
A little after the 5:00 minute mark the groove got pretty deep.

I'd heard her name but never listened to her work. Respect here, but, honestly, I'm not a fan of this style of music. Sort of like a masterfully cooked meal with so many courses and ingredients I don't remember any of it.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching her for some time now. I have so much respect and admiration for her playing and your right, exciting is a good adjective. When she burst on the scene 6 or 7 years ago my jaw hit the floor, for me it was so new and different. And I'm still amazed at her style and technique BUT (you knew that was coming didn't you?), I keep waiting to see a broader range of styles and development yet everything seems to have a certain sameness to it.

Please don't misunderstand, I CANNOT play what she is playing, she's WAY over my chop level so this not a comparison thing. I just feel that as amazing as she is, she is painting herself into a "one trick pony" corner. It's one thing to say someone is identifiable and has a unique style or sound, it's another to say "oh yeah, I've heard this already".

Pay close attention to her own recorded track play throughs... absolutely stunning that she can visually replicate what she recorded so flawlessly. Mad respect from me, this is just my just my 1.372 cents worth!

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for turning me on to her playing; she's great!. My only constructive criticism would be that her toms were almost totally lost in the mix*; she'd start a run on the snare but as soon as she went to the toms the intricacy of her playing was buried in sludge. The easiest fix would be if she tuned them so they had more attack, but the mix engineer could always hit them with some EQ.

And (no joke), her posture behind the kit is immaculate! I've always been a 'sloucher' (surprised my back isn't permanently deformed after 58 years of it), but she sits tall in the saddle and executes everything so effortlessly.

*I listened using a pair of Klipsch Cornwall speakers, so it isn't my system.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
for me it was so new and different.
Really? She's a great drummer, but... new and different? I find the opposite to be true, with almost every drummer on the scene now. It seems like everyone has drums that sound the same (first of all), and they all seem to play quite similarly. The exceptions are exceedingly more rare.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really great drummer.

There is a funky swing there that allows her to be both commanding yet laid back.
A little after the 5:00 minute mark the groove got pretty deep.

I'd heard her name but never listened to her work. Respect here, but, honestly, I'm not a fan of this style of music. Sort of like a masterfully cooked meal with so many courses and ingredients I don't remember any of it.
Instrumental only music doesn’t do much for me , it’s impressive and I really like an occasional song . But 95% of it doesn’t move me ...

The chops required are most certainly impressive though . And there are parts I really like a lot ...you summed it up good . It’s like it’s too much good stuff at once .

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not taking anything away from where she is in her musical growth, but for my 50 plus years of drumming, I simply hear very little that shows me a unique sound or style from the instrument. I don’t think I could pick her out from 10 others who play the same way.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've enjoyed her playing... I found her early on, and back then she responded pretty quickly when I'd ask her questions.
Don't know if she still has the time for that with 200K+ subscribers???

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was.
So, you're a mind reader? Or you have proof that that was his intent? If the answer to both of those questions is "no", then the best you can do is say that it was unintentionally misleading.
Unless you're just trolling.