Am i the only one who has never had any luck with Paiste?

Evdoggydog15

Reaction score
I'm an Istanbul Agop, Bosphorus, Dream player mostly but I picked up a Paiste Masters 22 thin muli-cymbal last year and it's fantastic. Using it as a right side crash and occasional ride. I do understand what you're saying. Paiste has always sounded too shimmery and glassy to my ears but I feel that they really got it right with the Masters series. Super even across the frequency spectrum and cuts through nicely in recording.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For years I pretty much played Zildjian almost exclusively, and had in mind that I didn’t like Paiste cymbals at all, I guess based on the few I had played and marketing..?
Then I got a handful in a trade deal here and have been totally hooked. Doesn’t answer your question but maybe just take a look at Mcjnic’s thorough response above.
Let’s see, I traded Mcjnic’s my Dark Energy pile and I believe you got my Signatures right? I now have Signature Traditional, Big Beats, Rude’s and some odds and ends. I came around on the Paiste’s to.

Quai34

Reaction score
The only Paste's I've kept is my 2002's. My Giant beats, Big beats, and masters, have all been sold off. The sounds they offered, I didn't like as much as the sounds my Zildjians make. That statement is also true for my 2002's. Nothing I have ever heard from other companies offer what my 2002's do. My only disappointment is when I bought Paiste to mimic my Zildjians, and vice versa. My disappointments have been due to my lack of judgement, knowledge, or experience. I've decided in my 25 years of playing, that if its not broke don't fix it! Loud and cutting = Paiste 2002's. Dark and warm = Zildjian K's. It has been quite expensive at times, for me to reach this conclusion. Just my $0.02.
I would add that dark and dry or dark And complex = Meinl (You have to dig a lot in their Byzance line to find nice bright polyvalent shimmering Cymbals, the Jazz crashes do that, super nice to pair with Paiste). It I still think that, with the large ordering from the 4 bigs, even if they have their proper sound (And I'm not even sure we could say that nowadays co later to decades ago...), You will be able to have a perfect blend of cymbals from them if you test the cymbaks from different lines....In my set up, besides the Zildjian that are not on the kit, almost all of the Cymbals are and they all blend really well...That's almost why I wanted to try to have them all at least to not have to wonder what cymbals I MUST bring to a specific gig in a kit of 5/10 cymbals regarding the music...like people have a jazz kit, a rock kit, a pop kit, a dance kit...etc...Cymbal kit I mean...I could take any of my cymbals and they will be very nice for any type of music, even a jazz gig...and we play covers Funk/Dance oriented mainly so more Chic/Neil Rodgers and they all work very well....So, I really think when you MIX AND MATCH any lines from the big 4, you should be able to blend them really well...You just have to spend a lot of time hearing them....

Last edited:

Fungus Amungus

Reaction score
I've played Paiste Pies most all of my life, was Sponsored by them as a Kid (Long-Long Ago) and my first Big Boy Kit, a Ludwiq Standard (with Ludwiq Stamped Paiste Pies) Kit I got in 5th Grade. Most of the early years I played 2002's because of Bonzo, but when the Sigs came out I was hooked...the Trad's just set the Hook Deeper, as did the Dark Energy! The Formula 602 never meant anything until I saw Vinnie Demo the Modern Essentials & then Play them...again...I WAS HOOKED! They have the Complex Hammering of the Trads & the Craftsman's Love given to the Dark Energy & way back there the Tonality of the Sound Creation 1st Edition. I've kept a few Trads and an 18" Sound Creation China (Love it) but have a whole new group of ladies dancing on Poles around my Sonors! LOL!

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every Paiste I have played, sounded like a trashcan lid. I have heard recordings with Paiste that sounded good- but hammered B8 is hammered B8. It’l never sound like B20. I have a Zildjian ACustom that sounds bad! Wrong end of the A Custom soectrum. But B8!just doesn’t sound good to me.

unicorncop

Reaction score
I agree, and I think the b8 mid range is especially bad with small (and thin) cymbals. Paiste splashes are some of the most vile instruments ever made, I would put them up there with a slide whistle or a kazoo.
I remember when my wife had our first child, right when she was crowning she made a noise very similar to every paiste splash cymbal I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
I do use some B8 Zildjian hi hats- Mastersound - just because they don’t do the “whup” sound. Plus I didn’t notice they were B8.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toomas Paiste , founder of the cymbal co. was Estonian , not Swiss .

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
I think that if everything they made really did sound like someone banging out a horseshoe on an anvil they would not have sold many and would not still be in business. They have sold a lot of cymbals over the years and are still in business. So, draw your own conclusions.
Everyone has a different 'ear'... to me- Paiste is not in my 'ear'. SOME of their B20 alloy cymbals do sound good. Not ALL of Zildjian B20 cymbals sound good to my ear. Taste. you can't legislate it or create it. I LOVE A Custom cymbals- but I have one i do NOT like.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree, and I think the b8 mid range is especially bad with small (and thin) cymbals. Paiste splashes are some of the most vile instruments ever made, I would put them up there with a slide whistle or a kazoo.
I remember when my wife had our first child, right when she was crowning she made a noise very similar to every paiste splash cymbal I've ever heard.
Interesting how our ears hear differently, because thats how I feel about Zildjians. They sound like toys compared to Paistes. Boring, bland, and clangy. Our singer has a set of Ks on his drum set and we put em side by side with my Sigs and they dont even compare. Under mics, its not even close. Clangy, trashy, rude sounding, opposed to glassy, clean, and pleasant to the ear. Too each their own, or so they say.

stuart s

Reaction score
Everyone has a different 'ear'... to me- Paiste is not in my 'ear'. SOME of their B20 alloy cymbals do sound good. Not ALL of Zildjian B20 cymbals sound good to my ear. Taste. you can't legislate it or create it. I LOVE A Custom cymbals- but I have one i do NOT like.
I used to have A Customs, I DONT like those now. Paiste B8's I love! I dont like their B20's though except for vintage 602's - not the modern ones.

stuart s

Reaction score
I have a PST 5 thin 14" crash and 10" splash that defies your premise. If anything its the large heavy Paiste B8s I stay away from.

stuart s

Reaction score
Interesting how our ears hear differently, because thats how I feel about Zildjians. They sound like toys compared to Paistes. Boring, bland, and clangy. Our singer has a set of Ks on his drum set and we put em side by side with my Sigs and they dont even compare. Under mics, its not even close. Clangy, trashy, rude sounding, opposed to glassy, clean, and pleasant to the ear. Too each their own, or so they say.
K = Kaos, Klang, Kmart :happy7: