Amazing Service from Zildjian! Lightning-Fast Rivet Installation.

murraythehump

Reaction score
2 days ago (on Tuesday - today is Thursday) I called Zildljian customer service about installing rivets in my ~2500 gram, 22" Kerope ride cymbal.

They said 'send it to us with a check for $10'. So I sent it that day. They did the work and sent it back within 2 days. They didn't even charge for return shipping (via UPS ground).

Granted I live nearby (Boston area) - I am impressed with the speed of the turn-around. The price was also unexpectedly cheep. And the dude on the phone was absolutely great. Zildjian service is a nice change from the mediocre customer support you're used to from so many other companies. I was so surprised I thought they desired a free endorsement on this forum.

p.s. I went with 3 rivets in the standard cluster. Sounds great! Gives the cymbal a little more life and character. The sizzle is just the increase in sustain I was looking for.

murraythehump

Reaction score
What's their number!
Sorry for the delay. This is from their website: "We recommend that you send your cymbals directly to us for rivet installation. We have special equipment, designed for placing holes in cymbals, which is much safer than any other hole punching process. Just call our Customer Service Department @ 781-871-2200, tell them how many rivets and where you would like them and they will issue you a Return Authorization Number (RA#), so you can send us your cymbal. We'll take care of the rivets but will need to charge ten dollars ($10) per cymbal to a credit card to cover shipping and handling fees. We recommend 2 different patterns of rivets to choose from. A "cluster", which is 3 rivets 1 1/2 inches from the edge and 1 inch apart or the "traditional" fashion, which are 6 equally spaced rivets 1 1/2 inches from the edge. We will also accommodate a custom pattern if possible. https://zildjian.com/support-faqs

murraythehump

Reaction score
Nice! Where do the rivets sit on the cymbal when it is on the stand? Any pics? Sounds like a fun road trip!
I think Zildjian will try to accommodate custom patterns for the rivet placement. I went with their best-practice recommendation, a cluster of three (1.5" from the edge, 1" apart). I removed one of the three - not a huge change in sound - decays a little faster and a little quieter sizzle with 2 of 3. You have to really listen for the difference. The ruler in the photo is 6", for scale. I'll work on getting some sound samples to share soon.

I'm not sure if they try to place them opposite of a heavy spot. But so far my cymbal doesn't try to spin them into my way. The seat is pretty lose and they stay at the top.
Kerope 22 Rivets.jpg

Here is my set (Kerope 22" at right):
DW Bop Set w: 22%22 Kerope.jpg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They must play the cymbal for awhile spin it on the stand double check where the light and heavy end sit. And drill cluster opposite play area. They take more than $10 worth of time.

Unless you already did that marked the cymbal where you wanted them then sent it

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. This is from their website: "We recommend that you send your cymbals directly to us for rivet installation. We have special equipment, designed for placing holes in cymbals, which is much safer than any other hole punching process. Just call our Customer Service Department @ 781-871-2200, tell them how many rivets and where you would like them and they will issue you a Return Authorization Number (RA#), so you can send us your cymbal. We'll take care of the rivets but will need to charge ten dollars ($10) per cymbal to a credit card to cover shipping and handling fees. We recommend 2 different patterns of rivets to choose from. A "cluster", which is 3 rivets 1 1/2 inches from the edge and 1 inch apart or the "traditional" fashion, which are 6 equally spaced rivets 1 1/2 inches from the edge. We will also accommodate a custom pattern if possible. https://zildjian.com/support-faqs
Was Kim Dunning who you dealt with? He's a great guy and a great drummer and very knowledgeable. And, he came to my gig on Saturday ;)

murraythehump

Reaction score
They must play the cymbal for awhile spin it on the stand double check where the light and heavy end sit. And drill cluster opposite play area. They take more than $10 worth of time.

Unless you already did that marked the cymbal where you wanted them then sent it
Yeah. agreed. I didn't mark where I wanted them. But assume I could have. I figured they know best.

murraythehump

Reaction score
Was Kim Dunning who you dealt with? He's a great guy and a great drummer and very knowledgeable. And, he came to my gig on Saturday ;)
Nice! I wish I could remember with whom I spoke. I'll pay closer attention next time. It seems like all of the broken cymbals under warranty and rivet installation calls get routed to the same person. And I got the impression there is one employee doing all this installation work. If it was Kim, he was great.

I hope to make it to Zildjian for a factory tour once they start up again.