Amazon deals thread

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl Modern Utility maple snare drums

6.5x14 for $177

8x14 for $199

Someone on the forum recently said he received a 6.5x14 and it had quality issues. On the other hand, I recently bought an 8x14 and it is great quality and sounds fantastic.
Man, I could use an 8x14....don't think I'd like the 1.6mm hoops on it though.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, I could use an 8x14....don't think I'd like the 1.6mm hoops on it though.
2.3 hoops are $12.41 each. Not a big investment!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
2.3 hoops are $12.41 each. Not a big investment!
Same hoops I got to replace all of my Pearl drum hoops.

They're decent hoops.

edit: Just noticed, the Utility I got 6.5x14 is an 8 lug, not a 10 lug and DFD is currently out of stock of chrome snare side 8 lug 14 inch 2.3mm but will have them in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So update - I kept the Pearl Utility, pulled the snare sides off and the shell was fine (it looked splintered with the snare side and hoops on. Snare side hoops were a little warped but I think that's something that's come to be expected with Pearl's 1.6mm hoops, the quality on these things are really bad. I'm just going to replace them with 2.3mm.

Drum sounds fine too, a little boxy maybe but I'm still tinkering with it. Waiting for a 3 ply snare side to ship and already put an Ambassador on it. And DCP sold it to me for around that Amazon price fwiw.
I think every companies low line stuff now days are low quality. Out of curiosity, where is that drum made?
The stuff coming from China vs. Taiwan is like night and day!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think every companies low line stuff now days are low quality. Out of curiosity, where is that drum made?
The stuff coming from China vs. Taiwan is like night and day!
It was made in China and I agree with you, there seems to be a big shift toward lower quality stuff - but I knew that before I ordered it. It's still ok, I'm replacing the hoops with 2.3mm, the rest of the hardware and throw-off seems ok and it sounds fine for what I'm doing. Just played it a bit today, it does sound ok but I'm still fiddling with the tensioning. I have a 3m snare head on order along with 20 string better snares, still using the cheap snareside that it came with but put an Ambassador on the top.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was made in China and I agree with you, there seems to be a big shift toward lower quality stuff - but I knew that before I ordered it. It's still ok, I'm replacing the hoops with 2.3mm, the rest of the hardware and throw-off seems ok and it sounds fine for what I'm doing. Just played it a bit today, it does sound ok but I'm still fiddling with the tensioning. I have a 3m snare head on order along with 20 string better snares, still using the cheap snareside that it came with but put an Ambassador on the top.
Cool! By changing it all up you'll make it sound good. A couple years ago I bought a Sonor Bop snare (brand new) for $50 from a guy on Craigslist that bought the whole kit but didn't need the snare. It's bottom of the barrel Sonor but for $50 I figured why not! It's also Chinese made. I got it solely so I could put it on a stand for practice. I got bored of the crappy sound about 2 minutes after I first played it and decided to change everything out. Heads, snare wires etc... It sounds great!!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool! By changing it all up you'll make it sound good. A couple years ago I bought a Sonor Bop snare (brand new) for $50 from a guy on Craigslist that bought the whole kit but didn't need the snare. It's bottom of the barrel Sonor but for $50 I figured why not! It's also Chinese made. I got it solely so I could put it on a stand for practice. I got bored of the crappy sound about 2 minutes after I first played it and decided to change everything out. Heads, snare wires etc... It sounds great!!
Right, I think almost anything will sound ok with proper fitting. I'm kinda buyers remorsing for not getting an Export kit instead of the Decade I have now but I'm married to the Decade now and it wasn't that much more TBH and it's fine, I'll stick with it.

My re-entry level kit was a Pearl Roadshow and the hardware was all crap, threw the mounts and arms out and replaced them with Gibraltar. Had to do a little drilling and the snare, I bought a better throw-off from someone here and mounted it, snareside head is on it's way and new snares and I think it will be fine. Sounds decent now but I'm still messing around.

Boredom stuff, why not? Thinking about re-wrapping it, it's turned into my stupid project kit to experiment with, the shells are fine, really decent actually and it might turn into my gigging kit if that happens anytime soon. Bass is a little shallow but if I'm going to lug it around that might work in my favor.

Anything will work I believe if you have the effort to make it so.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Bosphorus Cymbals K18C6H 18-Inch Turk Series Fx Crash Cymbal $141
- showing out of stock but I would guess that just means a longer delivery

Bosphorus Cymbals T19CMT 19-Inch Traditional Series Crash Cymbal for $175, same thing out of stock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBH7LAA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_20JJZ70AFD8T3MHCXFQD

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Soultone. Maybe the last time I heard them was in a Meytal video. They sounded decent and those are very good prices.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Soultone. Maybe the last time I heard them was in a Meytal video. They sounded decent and those are very good prices.
I can't get past the name and the logo. I know that's superficial, but I just can't. I'm sure they're as good as any of the handmade Turkish cymbals being produced today, which are awesome.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get past the name and the logo. I know that's superficial, but I just can't. I'm sure they're as good as any of the handmade Turkish cymbals being produced today, which are awesome.
Same. I never liked the logo or name. If I found a good ST and price, I'd probably remove all the paint.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could agree that they are "as good as any" but I wouldn't say so. I think they are more of a low-end Turkish cymbal for people who want Turkish cymbals and want to pay cheap prices for them. I could be completely off base, but the ones I've had have rarely measured up to my Istanbul and Bosphorus pieces. I have probably ordered and played 6 or 7 Soultones now, and none have stuck around. The favorite was a 26" crash that played like a light ride, it was a lot of fun and sounded good, but I couldn't have taken it anywhere because it didn't fit in any of my bags!

Redfern

Reaction score
Acetone is a man’s best friend...

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Same. I never liked the logo or name. If I found a good ST and price, I'd probably remove all the paint.
I have a few Soultones. Also am not a fan of the name/logos, but these are excellent cymbals for the price. A notch below my Istanbuls, but not too far off. I would call them professional quality cymbals.

jkuhl

Reaction score
Soultone Cymbals CST-CHN20FXO6-20" Custom FXO 6 China for $103 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDLX08M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TVKP7TDFXGHVWAEK448C

Soultone Cymbals EXT-CRS23-23" Soultone Cymbals Extreme Crash for $148 (out of stock)
The 20" ozone China for 99 bucks is on the way to my house! Thanks for posting