Amazon deals thread

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Snagged the Bos NO 18" flat ride for $157. 18" Samba crash and 19" Turk flat were way too heavy and Masters 20" ride was too light, so hoping this is just right.
I didn’t see this one. I would have grabbed it too!

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Snagged the Bos NO 18" flat ride for $157. 18" Samba crash and 19" Turk flat were way too heavy and Masters 20" ride was too light, so hoping this is just right.
Had a chance to properly demo the Samba 18" crash and Master 20" ride (I live in a condo) at my buddy's place courtesy of his 11 year old son. The Samba (1370g) totally works as a rock/full crash with great crash-riding capabilities and the Master ride (1575g) is surprisingly beefy for its weight. Both keepers.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to properly demo the Samba 18" crash and Master 20" ride (I live in a condo) at my buddy's place courtesy of his 11 year old son. The Samba (1370g) totally works as a rock/full crash with great crash-riding capabilities and the Master ride (1575g) is surprisingly beefy for its weight. Both keepers.
I just picked up a Masters 20" ride last week. The weight written on the backside of the bell is 1600 grams. I put it on my cheap kitchen scale and it read 1600 on the nose which was a nice surprise. The cymbal is definitely light! It flexes just picking it up! I've had very little time with it so I can't really give a good review yet but it definitely plays super light and may be more suitable as a crash unless in a super low volume situation. I'm not sure it has enough heft, shortness in decay, and stick definition to work as a crash/ride but as stated, I've had little time to explore it yet so that opinion could change.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Arrives tomorrow, so we'll see. The 19" 2160g Turk flat ride was a behemoth, hoping this one is darker and offers a bit of crashability.
I have a 19” Bos Turk flat at 1770g. I like it very much. It has a nice shimmer when riding, but the crash is just a bit lacking.

Furious Styles

Reaction score
I have a 19” Bos Turk flat at 1770g. I like it very much. It has a nice shimmer when riding, but the crash is just a bit lacking.
I'm fascinated with the sound and feel, but I can't really justify owning one, at least right now. I received the NO flat ride and it came with no weight listed (1st time). It's not as beefy as the Turk, but still pretty substantial. Both flat rides I've experienced have a "chimey" sound to them, like a Quick Beat bottom hat lol. Really dig the New Orleans hammering/sound.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Why didn't someone buy the Bos Turk 14" dark hats for $211? I don't really need another set of dark hats...

Bos Antique 18" thin crash for $143 still available.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Please don't take offense, I'm just curious by nature. Some of these prices on the Bosphorus cymbals are very good indeed for new product. But there are no sound files. When cymbals are for sale here a sound file is nearly always requested. Is this explained simply by the allure of the price and a break even flip if the cymbal doesn't meet with approval or is it because they're new - what explains the need for a sound file from a member but not Amazon?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't take offense, I'm just curious by nature. Some of these prices on the Bosphorus cymbals are very good indeed for new product. But there are no sound files. When cymbals are for sale here a sound file is nearly always requested. Is this explained simply by the allure of the price and a break even flip if the cymbal doesn't meet with approval or is it because they're new - what explains the need for a sound file from a member but not Amazon?
I think that's it. It's cheap enough on brand new with free shipping to take a chance. It's pretty low risk to re-sell, but I haven't gotten a bad Bosphorus yet, either new from Amazon, used from DFO, or used from a local Guitar Center. I'm sure there's clangers out there, but I'm batting 1000 so far. I bought my thin Turk ride from a member here with only a photo and a weight. Sounds like it should.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I think it is worth the risk on Bosphorus. If you look at what they are selling for elsewhere, there are some real great deals to be had. I know they won't last forever, so I continue to try to take advantage of them or pass them on to others here. Like @Tornado I have yet to receive one I hated, except for an FX crash which I turned around an sold and made just a few bucks, which always helps the gear habit. I could have returned it for free as well, which is what makes it even less risk. I have taken advantage of that option one time with an Istanbul cymbal.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that's it. It's cheap enough on brand new with free shipping to take a chance. It's pretty low risk to re-sell, but I haven't gotten a bad Bosphorus yet, either new from Amazon, used from DFO, or used from a local Guitar Center. I'm sure there's clangers out there, but I'm batting 1000 so far. I bought my thin Turk ride from a member here with only a photo and a weight. Sounds like it should.
Ahh, OK, I got it. If a member here were selling a reputable cymbal the requirement for a sound file is somewhat dependent on price juxtaposed with risk (for resale).

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Pretty simple for me - 30 day Amazon Prime trial and free returns. Why not?

I've kept roughly half the cymbals so far.

I tried to buy new golf clubs at my local PGA Superstore a few weeks ago and it was a miserable experience. So like Larry David, I'm outta the nice business and using Amazon for my benefit. I now know way more about the various Bosphorus lines that I ever could through sound files.

Nothing beats hearing cymbals in the wild.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And; as stated by quite a few owners, it's that Bosphorus are pretty much a score 99.9% of the time ; once you experience get used to them, accept them, they do as intended; so taking a shot without a sound file becomes less a risk.
I still prefer buying near new as possible, off of private owners

Last edited:

Ox Han

Reaction score
I take the risk on amazon w/ no sound file b/c I can return the cymbals I buy from amazon prime and get 100% of my money back including shipping and without a restock fee. It's guaranteed I will like it or I can get 100% money back. That is pretty much risk free cymbal buying/try outs

This is not the same w/ SW, bad person, GC, Sam Ash, Mem Drum Shop, etc... They don't refund shipping costs, understandably, and some charge a restock fee. Therefore, sound files from these shops are usually necessary

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hundreds of thousands of cymbals, used and new, have been bought without sound files. Even with sound files, you never really know what a cymbal is unless you play it for a while. Pretty much every cell phone sound sample sounds lousy, and nearly every Memphis drum shop one sounds great. For a really low price, a good quality cymbal is usually worth the risk. If you don't like it, another drummer probably will.